diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark Installers Experience - All Common questions and answers

thanks for this OP! As I have a question here..
What is the deal with this diagram? I get pretty much everything about it except for the part how the transfer/critloads panel connects the the main panel and the rest of the house. Why is there just an "A" there, and that black wire to "load"? wtf is "load" Why does that transfer/crit loads panel not also have just a simple 240VAC breaker connection in the mains panel?
View attachment 41895
That picture is for a transfer switch. If you just want to use a critical loads panel look at the diagrams in the back of the manual like this one-
1616354205781.png

Since we are grouped here talking about Sol-ark installations....

The cable that connects to the CT sensors can be routed trough the same conduit as the AC IN cables?.

Couldn't find anything in the manual. They only recommend you to use UTP shielded cable in long distances, but dont think this is covered. Just wondering if AC EMI could mess with the data sensors. Being hall effect sensors i could guess that the data its just an analogical voltage (What voltage?, not sure).

Last edited:
Since we are grouped here talking about Sol-ark installations....

The cable that connects to the CD sensors can be routed trough the same conduit as the AC IN cables?.

Couldnt find anything in the manual.

They only recommend you to use UTP cable in long distances, but dont think this is covered. Just wondering if AC EMI could mess with the data sensors. Being hall effect sensors i could guess that the data its just an analogical voltage (What voltage?, not sure).
I would separate them to rule out potential interference. As far as extendending them I used Cat5E cable.

@RStone13 I would agree with @solardad , I guess my frustration is for $7000 it shouldn’t be this hard to capture your own data and do what you want with it? I think these are really good inverters despite the price. However it feels like you bought a really expensive sports car with a really cheap dashboard! Sol-Ark needs to work with owners to give them open source data collection!
I guess that’s why I stated in an earlier opinion, for those who are truly off grid, want to be able to see what your inverter is actually doing and collect your own data, you should look around before you purchase.
This is unfortunately precisely why I did not go with Sol-Ark even though it was my first choice. I don't understand why they would not provide the ability for someone to monitor their own system without internet connection. Is there some business reason why they think it is advantageous to them not to allow you to do this? Any number of things could happen (their site goes down, company goes under, severe storms taking out internet, etc) that prevent you from easily monitoring what your system is doing. I also frankly didn't like being forced to send this data to a 3rd party.

This is unfortunately precisely why I did not go with Sol-Ark even though it was my first choice. I don't understand why they would not provide the ability for someone to monitor their own system without internet connection. Is there some business reason why they think it is advantageous to them not to allow you to do this? Any number of things could happen (their site goes down, company goes under, severe storms taking out internet, etc) that prevent you from easily monitoring what your system is doing. I also frankly didn't like being forced to send this data to a 3rd party.
It is certainly a valid reason to look elsewhere. But it doesn't bother me.

When I was connecting my system I shorted a grid wire going to the Solark. The Solark breakers tripped and it shut down.
Within a half hour I got an email from Solark saying that they could see I had a problem and they wanted to help.

I didn't answer the email and I fixed the problem and everything is fine.

So, the way I see it, part of Solark's normal warranty includes monitoring service with support.

Last edited:
Agreed. For those of us off grid, no way to track data to see what's going on even historically, or what may have lead to a problem when one occurs. As a side note to my research, to save those other Sol-Ark owners the trouble, the data communication between Sol-Ark cloud service and Power View desktop/app is encrypted. Some of you may have known this already, but I figured it out the hard way. So at this point, persuading Sol-Ark to give open source data access will be the only way for off grid folks to monitor their inverters.
Kind of funny that an American, VETERAN owned company, is the only inverter that requires a "Big Brother" control "permission" to see your own inverter data, huh?

Agreed. For those of us off grid, no way to track data to see what's going on even historically, or what may have lead to a problem when one occurs. As a side note to my research, to save those other Sol-Ark owners the trouble, the data communication between Sol-Ark cloud service and Power View desktop/app is encrypted. Some of you may have known this already, but I figured it out the hard way. So at this point, persuading Sol-Ark to give open source data access will be the only way for off grid folks to monitor their inverters.
Kind of funny that an American, VETERAN owned company, is the only inverter that requires a "Big Brother" control "permission" to see your own inverter data, huh?
I can see how this is a problem for off grid. And for people who want to do custom programming.

Solark probably makes most of their money from on grid professionally installed systems.

And DIY / off grid people are the same people promoting Deye and that are making it work.

I'm not trying to create more anxiety. Just trying to think this through.

Hopefully there will be some solution.

I assume HighTechLab has some thoughts about this issue.

I just wanted to point to other readers like myself who may not be aware that Sol Ark has a solution for firmware updates for off grid/no internet connection:

Hello everyone!

Those who have worked with a Sol-Ark inverter knows that their manuals can be confusing at times. I am setting out to create an all-inclusive Q&A/Explanation document that should help all Sol-Ark users and DIYers get their systems setup quickly and optimally.

Please reply to this thread with some of the issues/experiences you faced when installing your units to help others looking to DIY install a Sol-Ark. I know these units are rising in popularity, so having good information for the DIY community is essential for us to be successful!

Some of the issues that I faced when installing my inverter were the following:
  • Do I need a resistor to pre-charge the capacitors?
  • During testing before install my inverter gave me an F03 or F04 error (GFDI Failure) and wont turn on!
  • Where should I ground my neutral and ground wires?
  • My batteries don't have closed loop communications with the inverter. Are they still compatible?
  • I'm off-grid! Should I use the "GEN" input or "GRID" input for my backup generator?
  • How do I setup generator peak shaving when the generator is connected to the grid input? Should I now use "GRID PEAK SHAVING" or "GEN PEAK SHAVING"
    • Is peak shaving per-leg or is it on both legs combined? Does the inverter balance the load on the phases of the generator?
  • With my generator running, why aren't my batteries starting to charge?
  • Can I run loads directly off my generator, but still use the Sol-Ark for Generator Peak Shaving?
  • My transfers from generator power back to inverter take a long time; my lights are flickering! Why?!?!?!
  • What direction should I be installing the hall-effect current transformers? Where should I install them? Do I need them?
  • What does the big ferrite cores go? Should they go over both wires? Do I need them for Non-EMP hardened inverters?
  • My house used to run fine on a 8kw transformer-based inverter, now the sol-ark is showing overloads! Why!
  • How does phase-balance effect a transformerless inverter?
I will be breaking these down in the next couple of days as time permits, with great detail with diagrams and very thorough explanations, so the next 4 posts will be reserved. Please comment any of the issues/problems you faced - I will update these posts to contain as much information as possible right up front!
It would really be great if we could get all these questions answered. Kudos for HighTechLab for brining them up, but kind of left hanging here... :)

Hello everyone!

Those who have worked with a Sol-Ark inverter knows that their manuals can be confusing at times. I am setting out to create an all-inclusive Q&A/Explanation document that should help all Sol-Ark users and DIYers get their systems setup quickly and optimally.

Please reply to this thread with some of the issues/experiences you faced when installing your units to help others looking to DIY install a Sol-Ark. I know these units are rising in popularity, so having good information for the DIY community is essential for us to be successful!

Some of the issues that I faced when installing my inverter were the following:
  • Do I need a resistor to pre-charge the capacitors?
  • During testing before install my inverter gave me an F03 or F04 error (GFDI Failure) and wont turn on!
  • Where should I ground my neutral and ground wires?
  • My batteries don't have closed loop communications with the inverter. Are they still compatible?
  • I'm off-grid! Should I use the "GEN" input or "GRID" input for my backup generator?
  • How do I setup generator peak shaving when the generator is connected to the grid input? Should I now use "GRID PEAK SHAVING" or "GEN PEAK SHAVING"
    • Is peak shaving per-leg or is it on both legs combined? Does the inverter balance the load on the phases of the generator?
  • With my generator running, why aren't my batteries starting to charge?
  • Can I run loads directly off my generator, but still use the Sol-Ark for Generator Peak Shaving?
  • My transfers from generator power back to inverter take a long time; my lights are flickering! Why?!?!?!
  • What direction should I be installing the hall-effect current transformers? Where should I install them? Do I need them?
  • What does the big ferrite cores go? Should they go over both wires? Do I need them for Non-EMP hardened inverters?
  • My house used to run fine on a 8kw transformer-based inverter, now the sol-ark is showing overloads! Why!
  • How does phase-balance effect a transformerless inverter?
I will be breaking these down in the next couple of days as time permits, with great detail with diagrams and very thorough explanations, so the next 4 posts will be reserved. Please comment any of the issues/problems you faced - I will update these posts to contain as much information as possible right up front!
It's a shame this forum doesn't let you edit your posts. I made a nice thread with intent to update the first few posts and turns out the edit button disappears after a short time as you have experienced. I emailed Will with no response. Really sucks because there's some incorrect info I needed to fix.

I've got a question about the pre-charge need. I'm building a custom Valence BMS for a customer who's going to be running two of these 12K inverters. I'm worried the customer may flip the battery switch off for one of the inverters and then later turn it back on blowing up things. This happens to me with my dual Delta inverter set up. What happens is since the batteries and inverter are all connected to one of the inverters and its capacitors are completely full if I close the switch and connect to the other inverter without pre-charging it first the capacitors in the charged up unit literally unload instantly into the unit that I'm connecting and it pops all the fuses and sometimes destroys the inverters.

So the issue I'm having is that the BMS unit I'm making has a pre-charge circuit in it but this will require him to power up both units simultaneously. Yes I could make two pre-charge circuits side by side with a dual throw but it would greatly complicate the internals and I'm just wondering if it's necessary with these inverters or will they not blow themselves up like my Deltas.

I can see how this is a problem for off grid. And for people who want to do custom programming.

Solark probably makes most of their money from on grid professionally installed systems.

And DIY / off grid people are the same people promoting Deye and that are making it work.

I'm not trying to create more anxiety. Just trying to think this through.

Hopefully there will be some solution.

I assume HighTechLab has some thoughts about this issue.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the SolarAssistant software/rasberryPi device can read and log realtime data from the RS232 or RS485 port of the Sol-Ark. It can also read BMS data from a variety of units and can also change some basic settings (power management) on the Sol-Ark via their interface. It even has a built in local web server so you can connect directly and parse the data without a net connection.

Yes Solar Assistant can do all the monitoring in realtime without even using the Internet and just passing the data through a WiFi router. It can also change all the main settings. If you have no internet connection then it is certainly the way to go.
Actually I don't even think you need a router. Just directly input the IP into your phone or tablet.

Last edited:
The issue of the GFDI fault which on the SolArk 15k is an F08 code was brought up and VERY common. I know there is a work around for that issue but I cant find it, so please help me out. I dont have my AC side up yet so thats the reason it is throwing the fault but I want to charge my batteries while I am waiting to finish that work. What is required to prevent he GFDI fault? I know its a ground /neutral issue but how do i turn off this alarm by removing the fault? Thanks

The issue of the GFDI fault which on the SolArk 15k is an F08 code was brought up and VERY common. I know there is a work around for that issue but I cant find it, so please help me out. I dont have my AC side up yet so thats the reason it is throwing the fault but I want to charge my batteries while I am waiting to finish that work. What is required to prevent he GFDI fault? I know its a ground /neutral issue but how do i turn off this alarm by removing the fault? Thanks

I'm in the process of installing a Sol-Ark 12K and am encountering the F08 code too. This system is strictly offgrid and there are no connections for grid or genny at this time. The VOM reads an "open" between ground and neutral as the install only powers the solar shack right now -- not the ground/neutral bonded main house.

Load out is wired, (8) 400 watt panels wired into PV1 (2 groups of 4 panels ~180 volt each group). Everything works fine.

I power down, add (4) 400 watt panels into PV2 and power up, it throws an F08 code within seconds of startup. ?

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
I power down, add (4) 400 watt panels into PV2 and power up, it throws an F08 code within seconds of startup. ?

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Ok .... changed out all panels and ran new PV power cabling from the panels to the Sol-Ark. Starts fine, no errors, running loads great.

Before doing this trouble shooting, the battery pack had charged to 99%. Now I've got an triangle with exclamation point below the batteries and no further charge is going to the batteries. Would make sense I guess -- would not want to overcharge the pack?

Ok .... changed out all panels and ran new PV power cabling from the panels to the Sol-Ark. Starts fine, no errors, running loads great.

Before doing this trouble shooting, the battery pack had charged to 99%. Now I've got an triangle with exclamation point below the batteries and no further charge is going to the batteries. Would make sense I guess -- would not want to overcharge the pack?
We will soon be getting to that time of year when Gird and Gen charging become more frequent. I hope people are keeping their charge voltages at 54-54.5V anything higher should be used on a rare event like trying to re balance the cells in a pack.

So nobody was able to answer this?

Back