diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark - Inverter Monitoring

Nice observation! Interesting that they have the picture of SA on that page, but no mention whatsoever of Solar Assistant. Wouldn't it be interesting if Sol-Ark buys Solar Assistant, since they are saying a new monitoring tool will be coming out?

Nope, they would just raise the price, and not be as supportive of other brands.
The beauty of Solar Assistant is the innovative programming, and wide array of support across multiple brands and protocols.

Nope, they would just raise the price, and not be as supportive of other brands.
The beauty of Solar Assistant is the innovative programming, and wide array of support across multiple brands and protocols.
Okay, I can accept that. But why would they have the picture on that support page? Is it a "nudge nudge, wink, wink" to the keen observers, or will they officially be supporting it as an add-on?

Okay, I can accept that. But why would they have the picture on that support page? Is it a "nudge nudge, wink, wink" to the keen observers, or will they officially be supporting it as an add-on?
My guess is that they may partner with them, but doubt they would buy them. I believe SA is based out of South Africa, Sol-Ark is in the US, and their hardware OEM Deye is out of China.

Software companies very often partner with hardware companies for closer collaboration to enhance supportability or functionality, or give them more exposure within a specific market. They may even develop an OEM relationship, where the hardware company includes the software with or as part of their product.

Some people would suggest that Samsungs purchase of smart things made it much better and expanded their capabilities.

However, Solar Assistant staying agnostic has the benefit of working for more devices. However, I would like to see it open sourced and have them find a payment model that doesn’t wall out developers. If you look at the Home Assistant model, the largest home automation project in the world, it’s not growing at massive rates because they charge everyone $50 for it.

Im not saying the mass adoption of Solar Assistant is held back by $50, im saying if they allowed others to make their own reports, add features, skins, dashboards and get it running on x86 like home assistant so you could virtualize it, it would be soooo much better.

unfortunately Sol-Ark has no interest in real time monitoring. The best your going to get from them is 30 second sampling.
The vast majority of sol-arks sales are made to home owners who know zip about Solar, except that it produces energy. They get it professionally installed and if It works and their bill drops significantly they are happy.

I don't agree Sol-Ark has no interest, from my perspective they do, they just don't yet have the software muscle to build it. Victron has it and even Enphase has a real-time feature that only works 15 minutes at a time and lets you see those real-time spikes, etc.

You are however probably correct that most of Sol-Ark's sales are grid-connected, possibly sellback arrangements with the ability to have agnostic battery integration down the road.

A fast-growing part of the solar industry is the DIY, which by evidence of Sol-Ark, Growatt, Eg4, and even full retailers like Current Connected and Signature Solar shows there is a growing demand from people who have enough ability to do this work themselves if the vendors simply make the products easier for everyone, installers included and provide information freely to anyone.

I'm looking forward to the day when much of what used to be hundreds of parts is distilled down into perhaps a dozen or so pieces of equipment that work with one another and you can add on with ease additional software layers for additional functionality and management. I'm feeling pretty close to this now with my Sol-Ark 15K and the Eg4 batteries in a rack, but there is still some room to go to make things even easier to where you could also buy an entire kit, cables, enclosures, software altogether or individually and it's easy enough and dummy proof enough to anyone with basic electrical skills could install it.

Solar Assistant is so close to being great, they just need to give us a little more ability to make our own reports and customize the widgets/dashboards. They need to do more than copy part of the Home Assistant name and adopt the Home Assistant model which will really give us a platform that enables the DIY community to push Solar Assistant in new areas growing its global user base exponentially like the Home Assistant project.

since this thread was helpful to me, I thought I would give back. the easiest way I found was to hit the token api and then the direct API from the PV pro web api. Attached is a script I made to adjust the charging amps of my tesla based on the available juice in my house.

Attachments

• solark-tesla-script.py.txt
    5 KB · Views: 27
since this thread was helpful to me, I thought I would give back. the easiest way I found was to hit the token api and then the direct API from the PV pro web api. Attached is a script I made to adjust the charging amps of my tesla based on the available juice in my house.
The data in the PV Pro API is delayed 15 minutes right? In other words, it's not realtime?

Yes, that is my understanding that PV Pro is not realtime. That was one of the reasons I intalled Solar Assistant. Once I installed it I liked the graphical displays and all the data which was provided. I find it easier to navigate and drill down into the detail if needed.

Ok I think I need a little help here mainly from @audreez and @robby.

Here's my sw version :
M 7.2.2.2/S --/C 1.4.3.F

I'm trying to run the

USR-TCP232-410s RS232 / RS485 Serial to Ethernet​

I'm on a 15K, batteries are Lithium but has no connexion to the inverter.
The doc says :
1702500573598.png
So I wired
1702500619096.png
As my network is 192.168.1.0/24 I setup and IP address and then got the adapter interface :
1702500715445.png
I'm not sure of these settings, especially
UART Packet time ??
UART Packet length ??
is TCP Server / Modbus TCP the right setting ?

If @audreez could post his settings it would be great.

Last question, am I supposed to see something in the Weeb to Serial panel
1702501185460.png

As you can see I have nothing and the modpoll gives me only timeouts
1702501248015.png

Thanks for your help
V.

OK. I answer myself...

I urge anyone having the exact same problem as me to watch :

Then I tried every settings possible... No luck.
As suggested by @audreez I unplugged the Ethernet cable of the dongle (the one sending data to the web interface) from the Ethernet switch.

With these settings :
1702505190745.png

I'm getting
1702505215446.png

Now I have to install the integration to get these data in Home Assistant.

regards

I have two Sol-Ark 12ks in Parallel. Do I need to have both connected over rs485 or can I just connect to the master?

I'll have 4 280ah 48v batteries with their own JKBMS connected via bluetooth to a raspberry pi and hopefully talk to the inverters over CAN to tell them how much voltage/amperage to charge with and report on battery data. It would be great if I could do it all with just one Pi 3.
I'm not sure what others are doing, but I combine the data from my 2 12Ks. Sometime add, sometimes average. Watts I generally add, voltages generally average. PV watts are special - handled individually so I can see what's going on with my strings.

Each Sol-Ark is on it's own RS-485 channel, I use 2 serial ports on a Nano 33 IOT for them.

hth,

Bill

I am in the same boat as you. I have fortress batteries closed loop on Mode 4 and I am using the Dongle and PV-Pro.
I want to use Solar-Assistant but I also want to be able to access PV-Pro and have the dongle for updates.
Two monitoring systems may seem like a lot but I do like the fact that Sol-Ark is monitoring my system and will supposedly call me if something happens. At the same time I need real time updates so we can shift loads to cut Grid usage to a minimum.

I have 3x(SA12k-P)+3x(eVaultMax) in parallel that i'd like to shake hands with an RPi4-Openhabian3. All 3 eVaultMax are "BMS" Daisy-CANBus'ed to the Master(Modbus SN: 01) inverter and the other two Slaves(Modbus SN: 02 & 03) are chained to the Master. The "CAN"-RJ45 port from the Master battery is connected to the Master inverter's "Battery/CANBus"-RJ45. However, I think I may be in the same boat because I can't find any signal on the "RS485" ports. Of course i get serial data from the wifi-dongle RS232 connection on all 3 inverters. It's funny how someone could probably replace all 3 (ESP32 Powered) wifi-dongles with basic RS232 serial connections to a single (ESP32 or RPi) MQTT Bridge. It would be ideal to have the ability to pull the data off the wifi-dongle over my intranet, but i tried some packet sniffing and couldn't figure it out or didn't know what i was looking at!

I do see a few Github projects that successfully implement RS232 to MQTT via ESP32. I have something similar set up to control my Pentair-EasyTouch8(pool controller) and i'm able to control it from OpenHAB, however it uses RS485 to MQTT via ESP32. What would you suggest i try, ESP32 or directly hooking them up to the RPi4 running OpenHabian via USB-RS232 and capture the data in OpenHAB with a serial binding?

How were you able to do it?

Last edited:
My battery pack Manufacturer updated the firmare about a year ago and switched from RS485 to Canbus.
since then I have just used an Ethernet splitter and connected the Batteries to one end and the other to Solar Assistant.

My battery pack Manufacturer updated the firmare about a year ago and switched from RS485 to Canbus.
since then I have just used an Ethernet splitter and connected the Batteries to one end and the other to Solar Assistant.
My battery manufacturer is also Fortress Power, they make the eVaultMax, they did switch over to from the RS485 to the CANBus port, and that's how mine is configured. I am able to communicate with the "BMS" via a USBCAN-I tool but that only gives me the BMS/Battery status.

So are you polling the battery status/SOC off the BMS to perform load management instead of polling the SA12k? or are you able to read the RS485 off the same "Battery/CANBus"-RJ45 port/ethernet-wire with a splitter?

I do the same to connect my Orion BMS and Solar Assistant to my SolArk 12K. The type of "splitter" is important. In one description it was referred to as a Y connector.

Last edited:
Back