Sol-Ark - Inverter Monitoring

mano

If your inverter is reading your battery via the RS485 then yes a splitter won't work for you. Even if the inverter is just set to read from RS485 and you connect SolarAssistant to the port it can't read from it. That leaves you with only one monitoring port, the WiFi/RS232 port. Some of the other Sol-Ark models has multiple RS485 ports.
The Sol-Ark-12L-P model does have additional ports, one specifically mentioned "Modbus". However, the manual does mention it being not active or cannot be used for battery. I guess it is worth a try, which I will consider some time.

robby

Solar Addict
Mine has Canbus and Modbus. The batteries are connected to the Canbus,
Since the Modbus port is RS-485 I would imagine it would work with Solar-Assistant but no one has said if that is true.
Everyone seems to be giving up one thing to get another.

mano

As shown in the image, there are (4) RJ45 ports on the Sol-Ark-12K-P (Outdoor) model. Left most two ports marked "Parallel" are for hooking up several units in parallel, and the manual explains it with connection diagrams. The one on the right most is the battery comm port. The only one not discussed in the manual is the Modbus port "MODBUS RS-485" in the middle. There is a brief mention that the port is not implemented.... I feel there may be hope and only way to find is to poll it to get serial number etc. There is yet another mention of obtaining Modbus map that can be acquired by asking Sol-ark, and perhaps is the manual attached by OP in the beginning of this thread... or not, idk (second attachment).

Attachments

• IMG_3266.jpg
    IMG_3266.jpg
    801.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 9.19.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 9.19.26 PM.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 7

robby

Solar Addict
As shown in the image, there are (4) RJ45 ports on the Sol-Ark-12K-P (Outdoor) model. Left most two ports marked "Parallel" are for hooking up several units in parallel, and the manual explains it with connection diagrams. The one on the right most is the battery comm port. The only one not discussed in the manual is the Modbus port "MODBUS RS-485" in the middle. There is a brief mention that the port is not implemented.... I feel there may be hope and only way to find is to poll it to get serial number etc. There is yet another mention of obtaining Modbus map that can be acquired by asking Sol-ark, and perhaps is the manual attached by OP in the beginning of this thread... or not, idk (second attachment).
We have the same unit. I think the Modbus is active but I have no idea how it interacts with the RS232 and Canbus.
I say that because the creator of solar assistant mentioned something about the Canbus needing to be set to "0" because closed loop could not work with Solar Assistant connected.

solardad

Solar Addict
@mano see 1st post for attachments, modbus details from Sol-Ark are there.