diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark Inverters 8 and 12K

Super Fly

What are your thoughts on Sol-Ark inverters? Any experience with them?

Would you recommend them?

What are your thoughts on Sol-Ark inverters? Any experience with them?

Would you recommend them?

If you budget allows it, it is a great inverter. If you comparing the others, Sol-Ark has many great options.

Powerful and flexible inverter. All in one, low power idle consumption for this type of inverters, battey-less to start and could add batteries later. The only limited I found is their DC input voltage range at 43v to 59v range. (Designed for the Lead Acid, AGM, NC, but they partnered with a lithium vendor and coming out with a unit for it $$$). Thus, select lithium type battery carefully for the voltage ranges might be a challenge. The others have a wider range. Otherwise, it is a great inverter.

You could check out the videos by Engineer775. He is a big fan of Sol-Ark. He started to use them with new clients in the past few years and love the easy of use and the features. He is reseller partner for them too. Maybe you could PM him via his channel.

Yes, I saw some videos he posted of them. Was just seeing if users here have any experience with them since they are not talked about here.

Yes, I saw some videos he posted of them. Was just seeing if users here have any experience with them since they are not talked about here.

I agreed. Most hard core DIYer might have it installed. Let's who has it. Could be a budget thing. You don't want SMA Si6048 anymore?

I was planning to get a sunnyboy for the 6048 but after finding these sol-ark, I think they beat SMA on the low to middle class customers.

No experience with them, but they were my top pick until I ran into a snag with where I could put them (had to be BFE+1).

I was planning to get a sunnyboy for the 6048 but after finding these sol-ark, I think they beat SMA on the low to middle class customers.

It comes down to 26% tax credit and cents. You should spreadsheet it out on all the parts and costs. SMA required more parts to get to the same level as Sol-Ark.

After a lot of research I choose the Outback Radian GS4048 which Sol-Ark leaves off their charts. The GS4048 allows for backup with micro inverters and throttling them back after you do the firmware upgrade.

Cost is $2,000 and per Kw it is 50 cents....The Sol-Ark is 73 cents per Kw.

After a lot of research I choose the Outback Radian GS4048 which Sol-Ark leaves off their charts. The GS4048 allows for backup with micro inverters and throttling them back after you do the firmware upgrade.

Cost is $2,000 and per Kw it is 50 cents....The Sol-Ark is 73 cents per Kw.

For the Outback 4048, you still need the load panel, Mate 3, Gen Start kit that will add up to the same level as the Sol-Ark. It is only 4000W vs 8000W/12K. Sol-Ark could do AC/DC coupling. AC Coupling, you have to use their smart-load input for the micro-inverters. The last time I compared Outback 8048 with all the components, it costed more than Sol-Ark. If you were to do purely 4KW, yes, it is a 1500 or less cheaper.

Their load panel is not a requirement. This is DIY and individual breakers can be done for $100.

Gen start kit not required either. Most generators are just a contact closure and the generator controller starts and runs the generator which the GS4048 is capable of out of the box.

Mate 3 is required for setup....

Micro inverters are plugged into your critical loads panel and nothing else is needed but the firmware update.

This a lot cheaper 4k backup alternative if someone is interested and doesn't have $6k for the Sol-Ark....

The Sol-Ark is a great unit, but I couldn't justify that money for backup plus batteries.

You do have to have some batteries for the GS4048 to be able to run. I just did two Battle Born 24v in series.

Their load panel is not a requirement. This is DIY and individual breakers can be done for $100.

Gen start kit not required either. Most generators are just a contact closure and the generator controller starts and runs the generator which the GS4048 is capable of out of the box.

Micro inverters are plugged into your critical loads panel and nothing else is needed but the firmware update.

This a lot cheaper 4k backup alternative if someone is interested and doesn't have $6k for the Sol-Ark....

The Sol-Ark is a great unit, but I couldn't justify that money for backup plus batteries.

You do have to have some batteries for the GS4048 to be able to run. I just did two Battle Born 24v in series.

Agreed. Trying to compared apple to apple here. Regardless, thanks for the feedbacks. Hope it helps @Super Fly with the decision.

Solark can be setup without batteries which can be added later. Can the GS4048 do this? Is it possible?

I was reading the specs on these SolArk's from here:

Then I saw this in its specs:
Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 11.56.08.png
The very last line says "Communications to Lithium battery": "CanBus & RS485".

So, I believe that means it needs CANBus over an RS485 connection.

Many of the BMSs that @Will Prowse recommends do not state in their literature anywhere that I can see that they support CANBUS or anything that could interface with that. So I have a new question: which BMSs will work with this inverter well? Has anybody tried those? Is there some other interface box that is sold or that we can make that would do this (such as with a Raspberry Pi or something)? How are other people doing this? Any true information is really appreciated.

I believe they designed that communication feature around the Fortress eVault battery bank. Nice battery, but crazy expensive if you ask me.

View attachment 6909

Many of the BMSs that @Will Prowse recommends do not state in their literature anywhere that I can see that they support CANBUS or anything that could interface with that. So I have a new question: which BMSs will work with this inverter well? Has anybody tried those? Is there some other interface box that is sold or that we can make that would do this (such as with a Raspberry Pi or something)? How are other people doing this? Any true information is really appreciated.
RS485 and CAN bus are similar, but different animals. This is why it says CANBus or RS485.
Since both can string multiple devices on the bus, they can both be connected to the same connector, and you would have an option in the software to select which protocol to use
Here's a quick article to run down the differences.

There are some BMSs here that appear to support RS485- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958383519.html?
They sell conversion cables too.
I am not saying this stuff works. The info says for electric cars and ebikes.
I am curious about using DIY lifepo4 batteries with Sol-Ark 12K grid tied hybrid system.
The Sol-Ark all in one sounds good but there isn't much info about it compared to other inverters.

View attachment 6909

I went around this block with my installer and ultimately an Engineer at SolArk.
The communication between inverter and BMS is not required. It's a nice to have, but the SolArk will spend the first couple days of its life exercising the batteries to determine the capacity. I'm pretty sure it's the same as what the BMS does to know how much power is available.
They gave me a few brands of BMS that have been proven to communicate successfully, but when I checked them out, they only sell the BMS with batteries.

Due to this, I am moving forward with the SolArk and have ordered 16 280Ah cells and a Heltec BMS that has CAN bus. My BMS has already arrived. There is not a cable for the CAN bus, so I need to get back with the vendor.
If this works, I will definitely spread it all around the forums! Getting 14kWh of battery backup for under $2k when every other solution (Enphase, Generac, Tesla) is $10k+ is a real game changer.

I also verified with Sol-Ark tech support that the BMS doesn't have to communicate to the Sol-Ark.
Haugen, when do you think you system will be up and running?

According to the time line in the very nice agreement that they send you, they will have it online by November 7.
Screenshot_20201002-085428_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Right now they are finishing paperwork and pulling permits.

Back