diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark + Kilovault HAB charging question *edit: solved*

RazerMackham

*Edit: I figured out how to utilize the battery to inverter communication, explained in my next comment*

Hello everyone, I am off grid, with a Sol-Ark 12k, 6200W of panels, and two Kilovault HAB 150AH batteries in parallel. Going by the battery manual, p30, it says to set the charging profile to “2 stage no float” which is unavailable on the Sol-Ark. I put the recommended settings, as best I could figure, but I’m pretty sure I need to change the float voltage value.

*I do have ‘load first’ checked under sell control in the Sol-Ark menus if this makes any difference*

The issue I’m running into is that the batteries are charging up to the absorption voltage (56.0V) during the day, then the inverter draws from the batteries until they reach the float value (52.8), at which point the inverter starts to draw power from the panels, while keeping the batteries at the float value.

I emailed Kilovault and told them that their Manual was confusing, because on p11, it gives a “Recommended Floating Charge Voltage of 55.2V” to which they responded that was a typo in the manual and to use a float of 52.8V.

My understanding of Lithium battery chemistry is that it doesn’t behave the same way as lead acid, and that there’s a more direct correlation between the voltage and the state of charge, so putting the float at 55.2V makes sense if I want to keep my batteries full by the time the sun goes down.

Tl;dr
If I set my float voltage to 52.8V, per the manual, I will fully charge my batteries during the day, then discharge to the float value, wasting solar and also adding charge cycles to the battery, leaving me at roughly 65% state of charge to get me through the night.

I think I should set the float value to 55.2V, I just want to check with folks who are more knowledgeable than me as to what’s best for my batteries.

Attachments

• KLV-HAB-Installation-and-User-Manual-Rev-2.06.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • C082D767-F558-46E9-BCFD-2586877A0810.jpeg
    C082D767-F558-46E9-BCFD-2586877A0810.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 3F55B2A7-3E57-4148-8A96-7D66AC4A1E63.jpeg
    3F55B2A7-3E57-4148-8A96-7D66AC4A1E63.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 13
  • C7CB2EC2-3931-411F-B631-7B0774B04F6E.jpeg
    C7CB2EC2-3931-411F-B631-7B0774B04F6E.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
To use the canbus/modbus communication cable between the Sol-Ark 12k and the Kilovault HAB, follow https://www.sol-ark.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Battery-Communications-Integration-Guide-V1.8.pdf

In the HABiT app, select “inverter protocol setting 0002” for your battery.

Pretty easy, wish I would have come across the pdf sooner, or had Sol-Ark tech support mention it. Once the two are talking, it changes some of the battery charging settings in the sol-ark.

Hopefully this info will save someone a bit of time until Kilovault updates their manuals.

Thanks for the information. I have these components on order and am gathering information as fast as I can. If you more notes or experiences to share on the configuration I’d like to get them from you.

*Edit: I figured out how to utilize the battery to inverter communication, explained in my next comment*

Hello everyone, I am off grid, with a Sol-Ark 12k, 6200W of panels, and two Kilovault HAB 150AH batteries in parallel.
I would like to hear about your experience with the KiloVault HAB’s. Good? Bad? Some of both? I searched the web and found exactly one non-Alt-E mention on the entire web! (What appears to be a pretty good video in Spanish)

How are the HABs holding up for you? I just deployed a pair in my new system last week. So far so good. Btw, kilovault (spoke to Marlin in particular) recommends that float value to minimize micro-cycling, or at least reiterated that value when I asked how I could minimize such. I don't know much about Sol-arks software in regards to load shifting once your batteries are completely full, but with the Midnite classic150 it's pretty easy to have your CC power loads you set up to do so from the CC itself in those scenarios, usually things like water heaters and other "opportunity" loads, often resistive in nature. I prefer not to charge to full in any event, usually stopping at 90%, so it's a non issue for me.

They’re doing great. BMS and inverter are talking, I’m at just over 60 cycles with them and have zero issues. With my inverter, Solar will charge the batteries to 100%, then switch to just powering the loads. Right now I’m not getting much excess solar, so I’m either charging or discharging. Generator comes on when I ask it to, usually set at 25-30%, and charges the batteries up to 95%. I’m discharging 6-8 kWh from my system daily right now, and that usage will go down significantly in the summer, so I expect these batteries to last a while.

Back