diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark needs a serious Change!

you dont have to connect the sol-ark/deye/sunsynk to the internet if you choose not to do so.
probably all inverters/manufactorers are now trying to get user data.

if you want to connect to/monitor you inverter throught a local lan, create a vlan, and block internet traffic out from that vlan
Can you connect and pull data from the inverter on your LAN in this fashion?

Can you connect and pull data from the inverter on your LAN in this fashion?
i'm sure you could do something with grafana.

there is a topic of someone doing just that :

i'm sure you could do something with grafana.

there is a topic of someone doing just that :

If you look at that thread you can see I'm very active in it. The point is, you can't without adding hardware to communicate serially to the inverter. My opinion is that a modern product designed after 2010 needs to have at least a local API as table stakes. They built a cloud API instead of a local one.

I still think anyone that's got a Sol Ark should email their support asking for a local API to solve this problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAD
If you look at that thread you can see I'm very active in it. The point is, you can't without adding hardware to communicate serially to the inverter. My opinion is that a modern product designed after 2010 needs to have at least a local API as table stakes. They built a cloud API instead of a local one.

I still think anyone that's got a Sol Ark should email their support asking for a local API to solve this problem.
there's ( to my knowledge anyway) not a single one inverter that does.
i would love for my axpert's to have an open api, instead of this fumbling app, but havent been able to use the wifi for monitoring..
still using usb/serial and a pi for that, eventhough that kind of sux...

you best bet would be to contact keith at sunsynk though..
he's working on the new app for sunsynk/deye/sol-ark, and might be able to shed some api heaven

Last edited:
Hey, where did you get that from! Do you have a link?
I purchased from Rosen solar off of alibaba. I posted about it in another thread (search for Rosen on this forum)…. Still hasn’t arrived as it’s stuck waiting to offload in Los Angles

I purchased from Rosen solar off of alibaba. I posted about it in another thread (search for Rosen on this forum)…. Still hasn’t arrived as it’s stuck waiting to offload in Los Angles
Very cool. I was under the assumption that Sol-Ark was the only distributor of Deye allowed in the US, similar to MPP Solar for Voltronics. See the label with -US and it being split phase is very interesting. May I ask what price you paid?

Rosen is a China distributor…. So it may be true that Sol Ark is the only US distributor, but obviously you can buy us spec’d version directly from China.

Cost was $2k each (I bought 2) along with 6 200ah 48v batteries also for $2k each. Shipping was $600 and duty should be about 25%.

Rosen is a China distributor…. So it may be true that Sol Ark is the only US distributor, but obviously you can buy us spec’d version directly from China.

Cost was $2k each (I bought 2) along with 6 200ah 48v batteries also for $2k each. Shipping was $600 and duty should be about 25%.
Interested in the batteries also. Does the BMS provide SOC to the inverters?

Interested in the batteries also. Does the BMS provide SOC to the inverters?
I hit their store on Alibaba, and I see the Deye 8KW inverter for $2200, but there are no specs. Are you sure you are getting a split phase inverter that will work in the US?

I've decided that putting the two CT series vs. parallel is just sum vs. average.
CT1 + CT2 vs. (CT1 + CT2)/2

I’m interested in anyone who has used a pair of CT sensors with one of these GTIL inverters (ideally 1000W or 2000W GTIL2).

I’ve assumed that’s single sensor generated an DC voltage which will be zeroed-out as long as the GTIL inverter is connected to the same phase.

In my case, rather than using two sensors to read 240V power consumption from L1 and L2, I have separateGTIL inverters for each leg (so single CT per inverter works fine) but I have a grid-tied Microinverter-based grid-tied PV system and wanted the GTILs to offset home consumption even when net grid consumption was negative (because of higher Microinverter generation than house consumption).

I connected two CT sensors in parallel (‘Y’configuration), using the second in ‘reverse’ orientation to add ‘negative’ voltage according to ‘negative’ PV generation (so PV generation is added to net ‘home-consumption minus PV generation’) resulting in a measure of home consumption which is accurate with or without PV generation on the same leg.

I assumed that two CT sensors on the same phase connected in parallel would ‘add’ the two voltages (with my PV CT sensor being connected ‘backwards’ so that it actually subtracts the negative voltage from the PV generation) and it appears to be working as I had hoped. I see the same AC/coupled grid-tied export going to the grid with the entire house load shut down or active (as long as that load is within the GTILs capacity to offset), so it seems to be working as I had expected.

I don’t understand why you believe a parallel connection of two CT sensors should ‘average’. Are saying that if I connect my two CT sensors in Series I’ll end up generating twice as much output?
Either should work to approximately measure power so long as there is a multiplication factor which can be applied.
If Line1 and Line2 aren't exactly the same voltage, there will be some error.

Where software only implements "Zero Export" but not "Export up to XXX Watts", I have a hardware workaround:
Use a step-down transformer and resistor to obtain a current proportional to AC line, and feed it though many turns of small gauge wire wrapped around CT. This creates a signal of amps x turn current flowing. Inverter will think "Zero" when it balances that offset signal.
Another:
Use an op-amp to add an AC voltage to the CT's sense resistor voltage. An offset in reading.
I agree that there are a few ways to ‘amplify’ or scale a CT-sensor-generated voltage to get 1.X times output from a GTIL, but I’m still not understanding why you think two CT sensors connected in parallel are going to provide a different net signal than two CT sensors connected in series?

The CT I have are a coil plus a resistor, put out 3 mV per amp.
Two in series would add voltage, if each was around a wire carrying one amp, the series connection would produce 6 mV.
If in parallel, 3 mV || 3 mV = 3 mV
If one wire carried 0A and the other 1A, the sensed current would split between the two parallel resistors (when CT in parallel) so 1.5V
Each is just a current source driving a resistor.

Sum vs. average, I figure.

The CT I have are a coil plus a resistor, put out 3 mV per amp.
Two in series would add voltage, if each was around a wire carrying one amp, the series connection would produce 6 mV.
If in parallel, 3 mV || 3 mV = 3 mV
If one wire carried 0A and the other 1A, the sensed current would split between the two parallel resistors (when CT in parallel) so 1.5V
Each is just a current source driving a resistor.

Sum vs. average, I figure.
Interesting, thanks.

The CT sensor I have is shown in the last picture here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08H...dcrb_top?ie=UTF8#immersive-view_1632278868428

Doing a bit of digging, it seems there are two types of CT sensors, current type and voltage type (with a resistor, like yours).

I’m not sure how to determine which type I have.

With current type, two in-phase sensors in parallel should deliver a combined current equal to their sum.

With voltage type, the input current adds but is translated to voltage though 2 resistors in parallel, so half the voltage output if the sum or the average, as you state.

Since my GTILs are configured to drive current and/or voltage to zero, the behavior should be the same and it may just be the reported power when the GTIL is unable to zero it out which is off by 50% (half in the case of parallel versus series connection).

I just had a look a my CT sensor and it says ‘100A / 50mA’ so it looks like I have a current type and that is why parallel connection is adding as I had thought…

Last edited:
Be careful in use of that type, may be a safety issue if not handled correctly. I don't know if these small ones we use are as great a danger or not.

Thanks for the heads up. No warning came with my GTIL inverters and I had no issue installing them just like I do the clamp sensor of my multimeter.

50mA from 100A of 120VAC translates to 50mV for every 12kW and since I’m generally consuming well under 1/10th of that, hard to believe 5mA of AC current is going to result in a voltage spike to dangerous levels (at least through such a long connection wire).

But good to keep in mind…

I also own a Solark unit which I like very much. Where I live I loose Internet access frequently and have made a custom PCB to replace the inner board of the Solark WiFi dongle. My goal is to have local monitoring and interact with other smart home components. It retrieves the information from the unit and transforms it into Sunspec models 102 and 160 (for now). My local HomeAssistant server already can retrieve the inverter values in real time using Modbus TCP. It provides inverter data using JSON format through an API and can publish values to an MQTT server and to InfluxDB (either to a local server or to their Cloud service). This is still under development, right now I am working on the web interface with live usage data. Here are some pictures of the progress, again still under development. Any recommendations on what features it should have? I think I would like to sell some units to recover some of the investment I made on my solar system.

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_195407.jpg
    IMG_20210918_195407.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 51
  • SharedScreenshot2.jpg
    SharedScreenshot2.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I also own a Solark unit which I like very much. Where I live I loose Internet access frequently and have made a custom PCB to replace the inner board of the Solark WiFi dongle. My goal is to have local monitoring and interact with other smart home components. It retrieves the information from the unit and transforms it into Sunspec models 102 and 160 (for now). My local HomeAssistant server already can retrieve the inverter values in real time using Modbus TCP. It provides inverter data using JSON format through an API and can publish values to an MQTT server and to InfluxDB (either to a local server or to their Cloud service). This is still under development, right now I am working on the web interface with live usage data. Here are some pictures of the progress, again still under development. Any recommendations on what features it should have? I think I would like to sell some units to recover some of the investment I made on my solar system.
Mark me down as a potential customer!

Though it would need to be pretty plug and play for me to be able to use it. Would be great if it could be linked to IFTTT.

Mark me down as a potential customer!

Though it would need to be pretty plug and play for me to be able to use it. Would be great if it could be linked to IFTTT.
The idea is just to replace the card that comes inside the wifi dongle. It can be configured through wifi (acts as an access point).
I will research about how to integrated with IFTTT, sounds like a great idea.

-Thank you

Last edited:
Back