diy solar

diy solar

Sol-ark PV string sizing

Troubleshooter

I am planning to get a Sol-ark 12k for my off-grid system. Starting off with 20 400W panels on the roof of my barn. Easiest would be to just make 4 strings or 5 panels each and run each directly to 4 PV inputs of the Sol-ark, right?

Eventually, I will be adding another set of panels, on the roof of the house that will be built in a few years, so I'd like to account for that and not use up all the PV inputs Sol-ark has.

What would be the best way to string 20 (+- a few) panels and fit within Sol-ark parameters?

I've used it and I see that I can run 3 strings of 7 405W JA Solar panels. That would enable me to have 1 connection reserved for a future expansion.
Sol-ark lists 12k unit as having 6 PV inputs, however I only see 4 in all the videos and manuals.
Where did you see the listing of 6 PV inputs in a Sol-Ark 12k? You can run a +- PV pair of wires, up to 450V@20AMP to each charger (only has two) of the Sol-Ark 12k. You can actually go to 500V but, the Sol-Ark 12k will shave 50V off and 450V is recommended by Sol-Ark.

Is it this panel in the listed 400W version?
https://www.solaris-shop.com/content/JAM72S10-405-MR Specs.pdf

If it is the same panel I was getting 8 Panels in series with a maximum of four strings which would be 12.8Kwp of PV.
So 8S2P to each MPPT on the inverter max. For now your better off going with the 7 strings x 3 but if you want the maximum I would reserve a space to shuffle in one extra panel on each string so you end up with 32 Panels. Assuming that is within the budget and you have the space.

If it is NOT the panel I listed above then ignore the suggestion.

Back