diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark system updates info?

rhino

Solar Wizard
Are there a list of hardware and/or software revisions if any for the Sol-Ark systems? I would like to know if the software for it is being updated to fix any issues discovered and if there is a list of those updates. This would help me see that they are supporting improving existing installed systems and the transparency would be helpful in making a decision.

Along the same lines I was looking for a list of any hardware revisions. I believe there was one update that increased the voltage of batteries from 58 to 63 but then don't know if this was software or hardware revision.

I've also noticed the manual for the Sol-Ark 12K is frequently being updated (last update Oct 3) without information on what was changed. I did however notice the specs section lists the Sol-Ark 12K as "Sol-Ark-12K-P". Is the "P" new? Not sure what it represents.

I asked Sol-Ark some of this last week but haven't heard back from them yet.

Ok. Part of the answer to my manual question is they are coming out (or is released?) with an "outdoor" rated case model of the Sol-Ark 12K. The indoor model manual is at https://www.sol-ark.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/12K-Manual-9-21-2020.pdf and the outdoor model is at https://www.sol-ark.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/12KOD-Manual-10-5-2020-.pdf

What is interesting is the outdoor version has different specs. Besides dimensions being slightly larger and weighing 4 lbs more I noticed:
  • Continuous AC power with Grid or Generator was increased by over 20% for 120V and 240V
  • Continuous AC power to Load (Off-Grid) for 240V was increased to 9000W from 8000W
Slightly confusing that it appears they are both listed as same model number.

I noticed they update the manual often but I didn't see any release notes.
SolArk tech support will get back to you and they really are the ones to answer your questions.
There is a member here who added more cells to his battery packs to use the full 63 volts.
Sounds cool to me but I haven't decided whether I'll try it.

I heard back from Sol-Ark regarding the differences in the models at least:

All the 12K-P model will be outdoor since 10-5-2020, all the rating and the internal are the same.

I heard back from Sol-Ark regarding the differences in the models at least:
When you say all the ratings are the same, do you mean they are the same for all models including the earlier indoor model.. or are you saying the same for all outdoor models?

More than likely the outdoor units are more thermal efficient than indoor models but that's just a guess on my part. It would be nice to hear it right from SolArk

When you say all the ratings are the same, do you mean they are the same for all models including the earlier indoor model.. or are you saying the same for all outdoor models?
I was quoting exactly what Sol-Ark support told me and took it to mean that there will only be single 12K version and that one will be the -P model. The -P model doesn't have outdoor rating because they have not gotten approval yet to list it as such but nothing will change with the -P version once it is listed as "outdoor" rated..

Just to be clear.. the -P is different internally. That is why it is even heavier than previous version.

Thanks: i bought the earlier model a few months ago and am currently in the middle of installation. I guess i lose out on the increased ac power rating.

Thanks: i bought the earlier model a few months ago and am currently in the middle of installation. I guess i lose out on the increased ac power rating.
I would send a message to Sol-Ark and see what they say.. maybe there is an easy upgrade by just swapping something out?

I just got a Sol-Ark 12K. I think the P model is the outdoor model. The main physical difference is that the Wi-Fi is located on the side under a shroud vs underneath the main body on the older/indoor model. Mine is off-grid, so I was glad to get the extra 4.5A @ 240V on the new model. I was on the phone with them, and they said they are probably going to just discontinue the older indoor model so all new shipments from the factory going forward will be the updated model.

It is annoying to install something and then find out your "new" thing is being discontinued.
There are other differences in that the breakers are higher rated for increase capacity, knock-out/wifi placement, and more importantly ability to monitor gen breaker for ac-coupling.

I have recently installed the 12K and got switched from the indoor to the outdoor model at the last minute so I became very interested in the differences. After investigation I found the following actual differences.

1) The outdoor model is outdoor rated.
2) The outdoor model has the Wifi and the DC disconnect on the side

There is a lot of confusion about the internal power electronics ratings which have varied in the manuals over time. But I suspect these are caused by Sol-Ark's ongoing certification efforts and not design changes. When certifying you have to get the NRTL to agree with your ratings and it seems Sol-Ark was overly ambitious about their original ratings. In the end it seems they were able get their NRTL to agree that this inverter can deliver 12kW from the PV array, 8kW to the DC loads and 9kW to the AC loads. Both their indoor and outdoor models will likely have exactly the same ratings.

While the manuals over time have said different things the nameplate with the NRTL's mark is what matters. I attach mine and request anyone who has a different one to post theirs as well. It shows the "-P" model, SGS as the NRTL and an indoor environmental rating. I suppose that once they pass their NEMA 3R testing they will make another nameplate with new model number and the outdoor 3R rating. I was told by Sol-Ark support that this model is warranted for outdoor application and that the grid pass through rating on this model is actually 63A but until I see it on the label I do not believe. The manual is how someone thinks it should work. The label is how it does work.

From my conversations with Sol-Ark I understand that they would be discontinuing production of the indoor inverter since the outdoor model overlaps it now. But I think since they share common software owners of the indoor version have nothing to fear. It is fact that these inverters are changing every few years to new models and its very difficult to actually get your system installed much before your inverter is replaced by a new model.

Attachments

• Sol-Ark Nameplate.jpg
    Sol-Ark Nameplate.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 17
I switched to the outdoor version at the last minute too.
My original plan was to put it in my garage.
But it is kind of big. And I have a good spot for it outside.

Back