diy solar

diy solar

Solar and Battery Well Constant Flow - Sanity Check

cjl

I have a 200' well estimated at 12GPM. I am using this to maintain/fill my stock tank. I started out with down the path of full solar running 4 panels to get to above the optimum run voltage, but have started thinking to run 24/7 to take full advantage of the resource. I don’t know what the replenishment rate for my well will be, but I am planning to install a timeclock and will set it to run a duration of X minutes to deplete the well and then have it run every Y minutes/hours based on the replenishment rate. This is to keep the pump from cycling to often.

Does my attached plan look like it will work? What do I need to change?

Attachments

• well plan.png
    well plan.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 21
I have a 200' well estimated at 12GPM. I am using this to maintain/fill my stock tank. I started out with down the path of full solar running 4 panels to get to above the optimum run voltage, but have started thinking to run 24/7 to take full advantage of the resource. I don’t know what the replenishment rate for my well will be, but I am planning to install a timeclock and will set it to run a duration of X minutes to deplete the well and then have it run every Y minutes/hours based on the replenishment rate. This is to keep the pump from cycling to often.

Does my attached plan look like it will work? What do I need to change?
When I clicked on your drawing it opens as unreadable grey scale. Maybe its a problem on my end.

What is the static water level?

What type of pump are you using?

Yes, drawing is unreadable. But is 4 panels going to be enought....seems like that would be around 130 volts in full sun.

So are you going to charge a battery and then run the pump off the battery? is the pump a DC pump?

Unless you have reason otherwise, I'd forget the timeclock and fragile calculations/controllers. Just design your pump to have a 12GPM flow at your actual dynamic head. Now your control is a simple pressure or float switch.

As for the diagram issue, it's because the forum software handles PNG transparency poorly. Click the "New Window" button fourth from the top right corner of the grey picture preview background.

As for the diagram issue, it's because the forum software handles PNG transparency poorly. Click the "New Window" button fourth from the top right corner of the grey picture preview background.
That worked, thanks!

Of course the OP hasn't been back since they posted their question so this is likely just an academic exercise at this point.

Using a bigger stock tank and get rid of everything else would be my suggestion. The beauty of direct solar water pumping for agricultural use is that you don't need all the extra stuff.

If your array outrun the well recharge rate then unplug one or move the array angle away from optimum thus effectively reducing the wattage. I've done this before with success the SQF pumps.

Last edited:
Back