diy solar

diy solar

Solar and Turbine on Same Battery

RV Adventure Couple

Do I need to put diodes on the positive connections just before the bus bar to the battery? Diagram below, I didn't put fuses or breakers in the drawing I know I need those. For simplicity I only drew it like this.

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 8
No.

You can have solar, wind, generator, grid, etc., all charging at once.

Each charger regulates its behavior based on the battery voltage, so while they interact, it's all based on how they affect battery voltage. Besides not being needed, diodes with their associated voltage drop would interfere with charger function.

So long as each source has a charge controller, the charge controller prevents backfeed.

Usually PV panels and DC generators wouldn't backfeed either, but charge controller is needed to regulate voltage delivered to battery.

No. Current only flows from higher voltage to lower. As each device sees the battery voltage raise, they respond accordingly by lowering current. When charging enters the absorption phase (constant voltage), all but one charger, typically the strongest, will drop to float while the strongest charger finishes the charge. Since it's voltage limited, you can't charge any faster than the current needed to keep the battery at absorption voltage.

Note that with every device designated as a charger, they can be connected to the battery even when they are off. This means they have "back feed" protection. If they didn't, the batteries would just discharge into the chargers.

Rest assured that concurrent charging with multiple devices is commonplace. Solar + alternator, solar + generator, solar + grid, grid + wind + solar, etc.

Just don't drive with it deployed... and...

Do your research on wind. It RARELY is worth the effort:

Our off grid compound is in an area with 10-12mph average annual wind, but it's very erratic, and it's often NOT blowing at night.

On average, I'll be lucky to get 80-100 Watts at all time.

And I'm going to pay about $2500 for that. Why? Sometimes, I don't get much sun, and it tends to be windy on those days.

Many are misled by the power rating of the turbine. All that is just the rating of the generator. To get that 400W, 1000W, whatever, you're talking about winds you don't want to be out in. A 6' diameter 1600W wind turbine is going to need 90mph winds to collect that much power.

Lastly, wind turbines need clean air flow. They typically need to be about 20-30' above any nearby structures/trees/RVs, etc.

If you're looking to have a fun project where the reward is a job well done, but the results are disappointing, then go for it. :)

Our off grid compound is in an area with 10-12mph average annual wind, but it's very erratic, and it's often NOT blowing at night.

And I'm going to pay about $2500 for that. Why? Sometimes, I don't get much sun, and it tends to be windy on those days.

Many are misled by the power rating of the turbine. All that is just the rating of the generator. To get that 400W, 1000W, whatever, you're talking about winds you don't want to be out in. A 6' diameter 1600W wind turbine is going to need 90mph winds to collect that much power.

Lastly, wind turbines need clean air flow. They typically need to be about 20-30' above any nearby structures/trees/RVs, etc.

If you're looking to have a fun project where the reward is a job well done, but the results are disappointing, then go for it. :)
Yea I would think it would be common sense to not drive with it deployed. It's a little late because the turbine will already be arriving in a few days. If it doesn't live up to its worth I will just sell it and put more solar on my RV.

Sorry... meant to put a :) after that bit. :)

Kudos to Tesup. Don't always see this published:

1608322208958.png

About 99W @ 6m/s (13mph).

And an illustration of the need for having the turbine well above the influences of obstacles:
1608322147606.png

Pretty common for my area to have 9m/s sustained for several hours per day. Using that graph, that's 313W. That will be nice. Looking at the 10 day, Monday is going to have 12 hours of 6m/s+ with a peak at 10. 8 of those hours will be after solar charging drops to zero, so on days like that, I'll LOVE it, but for the next 3 days, mostly 3m/s or under.

It really comes down to being okay with a bipolar relationship with your wind turbine... you either hate it or love it - depending on which way (or how much) the wind blows... :)

Sorry... meant to put a :) after that bit. :)

Kudos to Tesup. Don't always see this published:

View attachment 30655

About 99W @ 6m/s (13mph).

And an illustration of the need for having the turbine well above the influences of obstacles:
View attachment 30653

Pretty common for my area to have 9m/s sustained for several hours per day. Using that graph, that's 313W. That will be nice. Looking at the 10 day, Monday is going to have 12 hours of 6m/s+ with a peak at 10. 8 of those hours will be after solar charging drops to zero, so on days like that, I'll LOVE it, but for the next 3 days, mostly 3m/s or under.

It really comes down to being okay with a bipolar relationship with your wind turbine... you either hate it or love it - depending on which way (or how much) the wind blows... :)
Yea I agree, we were in Utah alot this past year in the RV and nearly everyday got wind that was good enough to produce power. I obviously am not banking on it being my main source of power, but a supplement and cool project / youtube video.

Then your disappointment should be tempered with joy! :)

Our place is in ENE AZ in the high desert (6800'). It sounds very similar. For a fixed installation, 90W average all the time is 788kWh/year, which is nothing to sneeze at, so I'm focusing on that. Knowing that I'll occasionally get some post-solar power some days is also reassuring.

If nothing else, those two resources are fantastic for adjusting your expectations and a good overall basic education.

I have 2 solar controllers and one wind controller which all meet at the same buss bar and charge the same battery bank at the same time. Works great. When the bank is 28.7v it applies a brake to the turbine.

First off understand I am not arguing any of your points as they are factually correct.
I do however wish to add this thought. With low maintenance for wind turbines and the fact that any time the wind is blowing they are making power makes them a perfect addition to your solar setup. When examining power output to solar; wind is a total loser that sits in the corner doing very little. But it is always doing very little. This IMO makes it totally worth it. The power gained back at night alone most likely will offset any losses in solar for the day. Especially on those windy days with no sun like we get here in the PNW.
In short. Is wind worth it? Probably not. Not in the short haul for sure. But over time, it pays for itself over and over and over. And adds a few extra watts at night whilst you are sleeping. IMO. :)

First off understand I am not arguing any of your points as they are factually correct.
I do however wish to add this thought. With low maintenance for wind turbines and the fact that any time the wind is blowing they are making power makes them a perfect addition to your solar setup. When examining power output to solar; wind is a total loser that sits in the corner doing very little. But it is always doing very little. This IMO makes it totally worth it. The power gained back at night alone most likely will offset any losses in solar for the day. Especially on those windy days with no sun like we get here in the PNW.
In short. Is wind worth it? Probably not. Not in the short haul for sure. But over time, it pays for itself over and over and over. And adds a few extra watts at night whilst you are sleeping. IMO. :)
Where in the PNW are you located? Im thinking about adding a turbine that I got to my existing system because why not. Living in east Portland there is always some sort of breeze

Back