diy solar

diy solar

Solar array Voltage anomaly issue?

traymor

I'm sure this is an easy answer for someone with more experience but here is my problem. I have 48 JASolar 390w panels in six strings on a field mounted array feeding three Delta H6 inverters. I noticed today that my middle inverter was not producing but showing 377volts on both strings. Hit the DC disconnect and went out to the array (750' away, #8 stranded copper runs). With the breakers off (the inverters not being feed), the voltages at the array, at the breakers, showed 320V +/- on strings 1,2,5, and 6. When I say +/- I mean the readings were jumping up/down several volts as they normally do. The 3 and 4 strings, feeding the down inverter were at 379.0v and 378.9v exactly and did not budge (this is the problem). I have had previous issues with the arc fault tripping on that inverter and disabled it and have no problems for several months. Also, at sunrise this AM the array was covered in snow. By 10am most had melted but did not melt evenly across the array. The 3 and 4 strings are in the middle of the array. Please see pics of the array, panel label and DC breaker box at the array. Yes, there are 60 panels, waiting to upgrade the system to battery backup soon. Thanks for any Help!

Attachments

• array.jpg
    array.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Array DC breakers.jpg
    Array DC breakers.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Panel label.jpg
    Panel label.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 4
I noticed today that my middle inverter was not producing but showing 377volts on both strings. Hit the DC disconnect and went out to the array
This is not a diagnosis but this is indicative of a bad connection. Volts present, no amps.

You need to try those panels on a different inverter as a test and clamp-meter the cables for amps on a known ‘good’ inverter and the questioned ones. That will eliminate the inverters as a problem or point them out.

Back