diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant - data logger

Compare this to WatchPower.?
If you have an MPP-Solar or Growatt, SolarAssistant works for you.

This is on a pair of LV6548s
2021-04-18.png2021-04-18 (1).png

This is on a LV2424; (just one day of use)
2021-04-19.png2021-04-19 (1).png

Sorry, there is no "public site" to view the site.

No, SolarAssistant is not free. When you consider that WatchPower is essentially a negative cost and a total waste of existence, the cost of the working graphics and just a little bit of actual control you can do with SolarAssistant, I think it more than makes up from the complete garbage that WatchPower is.

Hi does this actally work for the lv2424?? Is it an mob app? I really something better than the power-datacenter.com site

Thanks,
Patrick

Hi does this actally work for the lv2424?? Is it an mob app? I really something better than the power-datacenter.com site

Thanks,
Patrick
I have it on my LV2424 also. A trailer build.

You need a raspberry pi, and Wifi.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505-071827_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505-071827_Chrome.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 50
Have you started to get the hang of this yet, and what the MPP setting do?
In my setup, it is essentially set it and forget it.

I watch the Solar Assistant and just smile now. :)

The LV2424 is in a Cargo Trailer and it works absolutely perfectly.

I'm really liking it to, just playing with setting to learn what each has for an effect. Still haven't got the grid all the way off yet, one setting a day to see what happens.
Your settings got me started this year, ran solarwatch last year.
These are how it should have been from the factory. :)

I don't even have the input wired on the cargo trailer.
The trailer is parked under a tree most of the time, it gets blasted with full sun and charges the batteries up pretty much instantly.
New-2.jpg

Even though I have the input connected to the "grid", I have a grid-tied Solar Edge that sends me solar power also.
My plan is to move the panels from the grid-tied inverter to the LV6548. I have 20 on the grid-tied Solar Edge. When I find a round2it, I'll take 10 off and connect them to the off-grid setup.

For now, I only connect the grid-tied when I charge my car. (A Chevy bolt and a spark)
New-3.jpg

I don't even have the input wired on the cargo trailer.
The trailer is parked under a tree most of the time, it gets blasted with full sun and charges the batteries up pretty much instantly.
2021-05-15.png
The morning of the 12th I changed to your settings in the Mpp, the morning of the 13th I deactivated the maintain battery state of charge in the Solar Assistant trying to get a more constant solar to go somewhere. I've been seeing in my power wall that the Mpp has been keeping them in a float state.
I see you were able to label yours, I haven't been able to figure that out yet, it would be nice if there were a manual of some type. Took a couple of days to figure out this is just a reader, the battery maintain in the solar assistant was throwing me.

View attachment 49099
The morning of the 12th I changed to your settings in the Mpp, the morning of the 13th I deactivated the maintain battery state of charge in the Solar Assistant trying to get a more constant solar to go somewhere. I've been seeing in my power wall that the Mpp has been keeping them in a float state.
I see you were able to label yours, I haven't been able to figure that out yet, it would be nice if there were a manual of some type. Took a couple of days to figure out this is just a reader, the battery maintain in the solar assistant was throwing me.
I labeled it in a graphics program on the screen shot.

Nice, I thought their was something else I haven't found. Early this morning I turned off the Hybrid mode, Ill see tomorrow what that accomplishes.
Since I'm running in split phase, I have noticed a difference in what the Solar Assistant see's, I should have available 2.4k per leg, I split legs up to be about even so I should have 4.8k total, the solar assistant reads different than my metered out put.

How do you connect the inverter to the raspberry pi? I have a Deye hybrid inverter and the raspberry pi, but I'm not sure what cable to use to connect the two together. Can you recommend a cable?

How do you connect the inverter to the raspberry pi? I have a Deye hybrid inverter and the raspberry pi, but I'm not sure what cable to use to connect the two together. Can you recommend a cable?
The (MPP-SOLAR) inverters have a USB connection for its data. Mine is a micro-USB to a regular type A, absolutely nothing special about it.

I don't think Deye offers a USB connection. Why not use their Smart PV Management Platform?

Last edited:
MPP-SOLAR
I have had a weird one going for a while and haven't figured it out. Are you familiar with these Hybrid's. No matter what settings I try I have not been able to keep the Grid from coming on.

I'm starting to think that I miss understood the operation of theses Hybrids and got the wrong thing, or is something broke?

Right now I went back to my separate charge controller like what "Will" had set up, (never got a response why) but it work's for me. Didn't want to waste the sunny day.
2021-05-26 (1).png

When I got the inverters #2 had no communication to the software, took months but they sent me a new communication Board, now the past week it seemed #2 bye it self has been the 1 charging the battery to maintain the Float. I was playing with setting from 6-7 even took the float down to 24.7 to get the grid to shut down, but when I did the Battery's dropped down to 26v like the were never at the Float, and that's another question.

I have had a weird one going for a while and haven't figured it out. Are you familiar with these Hybrid's. No matter what settings I try I have not been able to keep the Grid from coming on.

I'm starting to think that I miss understood the operation of theses Hybrids and got the wrong thing, or is something broke?

Right now I went back to my separate charge controller like what "Will" had set up, (never got a response why) but it work's for me. Didn't want to waste the sunny day.
View attachment 50486

When I got the inverters #2 had no communication to the software, took months but they sent me a new communication Board, now the past week it seemed #2 bye it self has been the 1 charging the battery to maintain the Float. I was playing with setting from 6-7 even took the float down to 24.7 to get the grid to shut down, but when I did the Battery's dropped down to 26v like the were never at the Float, and that's another question.
The only way I can ensure the grid doesn't get used is by a physical disconnect. I simply can't trust any of the settings to not use the grid.

The only way I can ensure the grid doesn't get used is by a physical disconnect. I simply can't trust any of the settings to not use the grid.
I still haven't heard from my battery manufacturer but to my understanding BattleBorn says turn float off or low enough to turn the grid off, Lifepo4 don't self discharge. This in re the battery, I don't know how the MPP will react, but I will give it a try this weekend when I'm home.

MPP-SOLAR
Crazy, Been running in battery mode for a couple of days, brought battery's up to charge on their own switched this morning to solar, with the float down to the lowest, solar was reading volts no watts, turned the float back up to 27.3v the solar started recording. ???? This time the Solar Power is battery mode and staying there, it kept reading hybrid before even changing the settings in the software.

Back