diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant - data logger

Its not uncommon for the SD cards in the Pi to go bad. Try a reformat and reflash with the solar-assistant OS.

Its not uncommon for the SD cards in the Pi to go bad. Try a reformat and reflash with the solar-assistant OS.
actually i would high suggest to use a cheap ssd when using database like writes

i personally use this little kit for my raspberries that do lots of writes ( HA being one of them ) and solar assistant another

here's a nice write up for move to all ssd ( boot )

the steps for solar assistant is putting the image on the ssd when using raspi imager

actually i would high suggest to use a cheap ssd when using database like writes

i personally use this little kit for my raspberries that do lots of writes ( HA being one of them ) and solar assistant another

here's a nice write up for move to all ssd ( boot )

the steps for solar assistant is putting the image on the ssd when using raspi imager
This is always smart. I like to use the Argon M.2 Case. Its a little more expensive, but very nice to have with many good features, including built in M.2 SSD capability.

Argon M.2 - Amazon

I had a Pi lunch the SD card when I was using mySQL for a db onto it. I now run an SSD for the db on my current monitoring system for the RV. It tracks all the solar & GPS location info using Influx. Working fine since last Oct. I also run Plex on it

The support guys fixed the problem (but never replied to me what was the problem and how can be avoided again).
Cheers

I just noticed that the newest version supports data collection from the Victron Smart Shunt VE.Direct

Yes I am interested in that option and was wondering if anyone is using it with Solar Assistant who can share their experience of it?

More generally though, what is the sensitivity of the Victron smart shunt when current/power draw is low? Can it read below 1 amp with any precision? Mine is a 48V system.

My system operates a lot of the time (e.g. overnight) at low power draw levels and the inverter's inbuilt metering isn't so good at measuring low currents plus it doesn't measure its own self-consumption, so what it reports as being drawn from the battery is misleading.

Hard to know what the idle draw of my inverter is, than manual says 45W, but can be 15W (I don't use power save mode) and my idle AC draw is in the 30-45W range give or take. So I might really be drawing 80-90W overnight, which for say 10-12 hours is close to 1kWh, meanwhile the Solar Assistant still reports 100% state of charge in the morning because it is relying on the data from the inverter when in fact it's probably closer to 95% SOC.

Yes I am interested in that option and was wondering if anyone is using it with Solar Assistant who can share their experience of it?

More generally though, what is the sensitivity of the Victron smart shunt when current/power draw is low? Can it read below 1 amp with any precision? Mine is a 48V system.

My system operates a lot of the time (e.g. overnight) at low power draw levels and the inverter's inbuilt metering isn't so good at measuring low currents plus it doesn't measure its own self-consumption, so what it reports as being drawn from the battery is misleading.

Hard to know what the idle draw of my inverter is, than manual says 45W, but can be 15W (I don't use power save mode) and my idle AC draw is in the 30-45W range give or take. So I might really be drawing 80-90W overnight, which for say 10-12 hours is close to 1kWh, meanwhile the Solar Assistant still reports 100% state of charge in the morning because it is relying on the data from the inverter when in fact it's probably closer to 95% SOC.
I usually have about 350 to 400 watts going through mine at night.
I just ordered the wire, it will be here tomorrow. I will start getting data tomorrow.

I usually have about 350 to 400 watts going through mine at night.
I just ordered the wire, it will be here tomorrow. I will start getting data tomorrow.
Will be interested to see your results - and if you do so happen to test it with very low loads that would be much appreciated.

The spec sheet says its resolution is ± 0.01A, so if that is correct then it will work just fine for my scenario. That's 5 orders of magnitude it's claiming good accuracy in measurement over, which if true is impressive. But I'm a trust but verify kinda guy.

Will be interested to see your results - and if you do so happen to test it with very low loads that would be much appreciated.

The spec sheet says its resolution is ± 0.01A, so if that is correct then it will work just fine for my scenario. That's 5 orders of magnitude it's claiming good accuracy in measurement over, which if true is impressive. But I'm a trust but verify kinda guy.
Pretty uneventful.
I don't have a temp sensor on my shunt just a mid voltage sensor. Watching the bluetooth screen on the Victron app, the trend seems to update near real time, I think Solar Assistant only polls once a second. I can see it showing 0.1A fidelity, this is right at consumption equalling PV produciton. It is a cloudy day here today.

1650561681884.png

I can see it showing 0.1A fidelity, this is right at consumption equalling PV produciton. It is a cloudy day here today.
OK thanks. Yeah I see 0A or 1A, never in between. This is the sort of thing I see:

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 7.21.42 am.png

Meaning my system really isn't capturing the true battery consumption when loads are low.

Can I assume that by choosing the Victron shunt in the battery set up in SA it means all the charts and data on the battery which SA plots are now supplied by the shunt? I currently use the emulated BMS as that's all I have.

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 7.11.48 am.png

OK thanks. Yeah I see 0A or 1A, never in between. This is the sort of thing I see:

View attachment 92062

Meaning my system really isn't capturing the true battery consumption when loads are low.

Can I assume that by choosing the Victron shunt in the battery set up in SA it means all the charts and data on the battery which SA plots are now supplied by the shunt? I currently use the emulated BMS as that's all I have.

View attachment 92058
I never paid any attention to the decimal before.

You have to disconnect "the BMS" before it will let you see the list.

I am using Software version: 2022-03-23

I notice on the chart that nearly everything is 1 amp detail, but I did find 0.5 here once;
1650578841325.png

My system is pretty much 100% in some sort of charging or discharging since there is something always on somewhere in my house. The time when the solar is exactly enough to run the house and not charge or discharge the battery is a pretty short time window of my day. Then the sun rises higher and I get a lot of charging happening.

Last edited:
You have to disconnect "the BMS" before it will let you see the list.
Yes, aware of that.
My system is pretty much 100% in some sort of charging or discharging since there is something always on somewhere in my house.
Yes, that's normal.

For me though idle loads (e.g. overnight) are too low for the current sensor in the inverter to register a lot of the time but while the loads are low they are not insignificant, especially considering the inverter does not report its own consumption.

As a result the battery SOC does not decline overnight when it really should. I'm finding the data to be giving me a false sense of what's going on, especially when we enter a period of inclement weather.

Now with a temp sensor:
I have a 2nd 500amp Victron Smart Shunt for sale:

Attachments

• 2022-04-26 (1).png
    2022-04-26 (1).png
    204.1 KB · Views: 20
2022-05-11Stable
New features:

• Add initial support for Growatt SPH and TL-X inverter.
  • Latest driver for Silicon Labs CP210X and MaxLinear XR serial chipsets to improve Growatt connectivity.
  • Added Pylontech console support when console is set on baud rate 9600.
  • Added Voltronic inverter self consumption advanced setting for higher accuracy calculations.
  • Added Voltronic inverter temperature multiplier advanced setting.
  • Added dashboard battery display customization advanced setting.
  • Added reading of Deye output frequency.
  • Added reading of Deye 3 phase auxiliary port.

Corrections:
  • Correct setting AC charge current on large Voltronic inverter models.
  • Correct Deye 3 phase battery temperature reading.
  • Correct zero PV power reading on certain 24V Voltronic inverters.
  • Correct Daly BMS temperature by not including unconnected sensors.
  • Correct EG4 battery state of health reported incorrectly as 50%.
  • Discard corrupted data when reading Voltronic inverters by improving CRC checking.

• Added Voltronic inverter self consumption advanced setting for higher accuracy calculations.
  • Added Voltronic inverter temperature multiplier advanced setting.
I'm struggling to find any details about these in the user guide.

I'm guessing the first is supposed to add a fixed value to the consumption when using the emulated BMS, which would help to make the battery SOC values more accurately reflect actual battery power draw as currently they do not include inverter self consumption.

I have the new firmware installed and this option is enabled yet my battery still shows the same consumption as before.

So I'm struggling to understand what it actually does. e.g. in the dashboard below, the setting suggest 45W of fixed self-consumption should be added, yet my system is reporting 13W of load and 0W of battery consumption.
Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 6.59.50 am.png

I've no idea what the "inverter temperature multiplier" setting is about. Any ideas?
I can't find anything in the user guide about it. Options are 1°C and 0.1°C, with the default being 1°C.

Also there is an option "Drift SOC at low current":

Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 7.09.48 am.png
But no information about what this is or how it operates.

If a user feature is not documented, it really should still be in beta.

The drift SOC is on my Victron Smart shunt setting also. No idea what it really means or does. For me, I don't really care what any gauge thinks the "SOC" is, I wish it would just show Voltage. The ultra flatness of lithium just confuses the graphs.

On a side note, since your battery is 100% and you are showing no PV, turn something on for no reason. ?

Back