diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant help please

timselectric

If I can do it, you can do it.
I'm not computer savvy.
I basically need some hand holding.
I purchased the preloaded hardware for my Growatt SPF-5000-ES.
I plugged in the power adapter, Ethernet cable, and Growatt USB cable.
I see lights blinking, now what?
I tried to follow the directions, to no avail.
If anyone has the time to walk me through it, I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Yeah lol
Computers and I don't play well together. (I'm too old for this shit) lol
It's evident by the pile of technology, thrown out my window.

I paid extra for the preloaded hardware, thinking that it would be plug and play. But, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It keeps saying "can't find device ".
I know that this can mean many things. But have no idea what I am doing.

I paid extra for the preloaded hardware, thinking that it would be plug and play. But, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It keeps saying "can't find device ".
I know that this can mean many things. But have no idea what I am doing.
Plug your cable into the Growatt and the Pi. Start by going to the Configuration tab, scroll down the Inverter section and from the drop-down menus select your inverter type and model. A USB port option should appear in the box with a CP 2102N number in it. Make sure that's selected and then click on Connect. leave the Battery option at "use inverter values" so it doesn't complicate things and see if that works.

A USB port option should appear in the box with a CP 2102N number in it. Make sure that's selected and then click on Connect.
The only option is "ACMO Unnamed device".
After clicking "connect", it says "no response trying again".

Don't know if I can help but to be clear, are these are the instructions you attempted to follow?

and if so, at what point are you stuck?
Yes, but it doesn't look like that on my phone.

Attachments

• 20220602_174948.jpg
    20220602_174948.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 16
@timselectric The screenshot you're showing is what Solar Assistant looks like after it has been activated and registered. You won't have a Site URL if it's not associated with a site. I didn't buy the preloaded hardware, but I do find it strange that the site owner is shop@solar-assistant.io. Do you see the inverter/battery configuration options below Network Settings?

1654206956345.png
If you do see them, I would just jump to https://solar-assistant.io/help/growatt/configuration.

I'd also reach out to Pierre (info@solar-assistant.io) and ask about the site owner. Maybe it comes that way because it was preloaded. Mine shows my email address FWIW.

@timselectric The screenshot you're showing is what Solar Assistant looks like after it has been activated and registered. You won't have a Site URL if it's not associated with a site. I didn't buy the preloaded hardware, but I do find it strange that the site owner is shop@solar-assistant.io. Do you see the inverter/battery configuration options below Network Settings?

View attachment 96975
Yes, I have set all of that up.

Can you share a screenshot of that section of the configuration tab? I'm not familiar with the Growatt inverters, but just assuming there's only one place to plug the USB cable? It looks like a USB type B plug:
1654207600517.png
Although it shouldn't matter, have you tried plugging it into a different port on the Pi?

I tried a different port. And noticed that it disappeared from the list and reappeared as a different name. Then I unplugged the cable from the inverter and plugged it back in. And it is now showing the original name. So, it appears that I am communicating with the solar assistant. It's just not communicating with the inverter.
And yes, I am using the USB cable that came with the inverter. (Regular USB on one end and the old printer type USB on the other end)

The fact you're seeing ACM0 is a bit suspect. That *is* a USB communication device, but it seems not one Solar Assistant is expecting for the Growatt inverters. One thing I would do to verify this is unplugging the Growatt USB cable and verifying that the ACM0 device disappears from the list. If it does, I would email Pierre and ask about it. I wonder if newer Growatt inverters have a different communication interface...

The fact you're seeing ACM0 is a bit suspect. That *is* a USB communication device, but it seems not one Solar Assistant is expecting for the Growatt inverters. One thing I would do to verify this is unplugging the Growatt USB cable and verifying that the ACM0 device disappears from the list. If it does, I would email Pierre and ask about it. I wonder if newer Growatt inverters have a different communication interface...
Cross-posted - I guess you've already verified it. I'd reach out to Solar Assistant support to ask about it because none of their configuration guide for Growatt mentions the presence of an ACM device.

Well, I was never able to get the growatt wifi dongle to work either. (I assumed that it was user error) but maybe there is a communication problem at the inverter.

Are you CERTAIN you are connecting to the device port on the Growatt?
It's a USB Device port, like you would see on a printer, not a USB A port like on a PC or laptop, memory stick, etc.

Attachments

• inverter-growatt-spf-usb-4a687c407655a68bb342c164e1090f6f.png
    inverter-growatt-spf-usb-4a687c407655a68bb342c164e1090f6f.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 9
Are you CERTAIN you are connecting to the device port on the Growatt?
It's a USB Device port, like you would see on a printer, not a USB A port like on a PC or laptop, memory stick, etc.
Yes, using the cable that came with the inverter.
A to B, I think.

Back