diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant not connecting to internet via wifi

If the unit connects to the WiFi but not the internet there is a problem with firewall rules. If it was a problem with 2.4 vs 5gHz you wouldn't connect to the Wifi.
If he connects and it works and then doesn't later its not the firewall now is it?

The pi's have "issues" with 5 ghz. The 2.4 is more stable for range and stability vs the 5ghz. It's not a flat out it can't work type of problem but more of a flaky acting type issue. 2.4 will just work more reliably so its the best choice.

Update on my SA connection...I confirmed that my local router is 2.4 GHz only. So it should be compatible with SA. I attempted to change my site from .za to .us by logging into the Pi WiFi 10.0.0.5/welcome, and it allowed me to select my geographic region, but that did NOT change my site name...still has the .za region. I think one has to be registered to change the site, and since I cannot connect the SA to my local internet, I can't register. Pathetic system!

Any other ideas? I want to wipe my site and account clean and start again as a new user, at least before throwing this Pi against the wall! But no help from SA support on how to do so.

First, 10.0.0.5 is for the hotspot created by the Pi when you first set up the system. That being said, I had a similar problem with my Pi, couldn't change the proxy to US. When you first started with SA you had to download an image file from them. Use a new, fully formatted SD card and burn the image again. You need to be sure to wipe all partitions on the SD card or you won't get rid of historic data. I tried this and it got a clean install and I was able to continue with the process. You should be able to start the setup process from scratch.

Here is my case:
1) First, I created an SSID which is only 2.4 GHz. Name of this SSID is: TP-Link_Mesh_IoT. And Solar Assistant cannot connect to my router via Wifi or LAN cable ! I tried several ways: reboot, flash the image again... but not succeeded :mad:.

2) Then I change the name of SSID to Mesh_IoT and... it works perfectly :) I could not understand why Solar Assistant does not accept the name "TP-Link_Mesh_IoT" ?

Anyway it works finally.

Here is my case:
1) First, I created an SSID which is only 2.4 GHz. Name of this SSID is: TP-Link_Mesh_IoT. And Solar Assistant cannot connect to my router via Wifi or LAN cable ! I tried several ways: reboot, flash the image again... but not succeeded :mad:.

2) Then I change the name of SSID to Mesh_IoT and... it works perfectly :) I could not understand why Solar Assistant does not accept the name "TP-Link_Mesh_IoT" ?

Anyway it works finally.
Many wi-fi implementations have SSID and password limitations such as length or excluding special characters. I suspect the "-" is one of those.

Many wi-fi implementations have SSID and password limitations such as length or excluding special characters. I suspect the "-" is one of those.
Okay so I started using SA since July 2022 an its been working Rock Solid on Wifi until about 4 months ago when it stopped connecting to the Internet. I have rebooted and tried everything no luck. I have just reflashed the SD and rebooted I reconnected to the wifi and then immediately it wont connect to the wifi again and now shows message below. Wifi name has not changed since the over 12months it worked perfectly.

my Wifi name is in this format (WifiName-Wireless-2.4GH) its been working for the previous 12 months with not a single issue I have countless other IOT devices, smart plugs cameras, timers etc firesticks and Tvs that works fine with the Access point SSID

1704195878165.png

Okay so I started using SA since July 2022 an its been working Rock Solid on Wifi until about 4 months ago when it stopped connecting to the Internet. I have rebooted and tried everything no luck. I have just reflashed the SD and rebooted I reconnected to the wifi and then immediately it wont connect to the wifi again and now shows message below. Wifi name has not changed since the over 12months it worked perfectly.
Does it work if connected via an ethernet cable?

my Wifi name is in this format (WifiName-Wireless-2.4GH) its been working for the previous 12 months with not a single issue I have countless other IOT devices, smart plugs cameras, timers etc firesticks and Tvs that works fine with the Access point SSID

View attachment 186398
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Made a backup of the sd card, reformatted it and restored the image. No problem since then. Are you using the beta? I was.

Did you try connecting via Bluetooth?

I have always used an Ethernet connection and never had connectivity issues.
I moved over after a while using Wi-Fi but that's because I've always had Wi-Fi issues not just for the SA RPi.

I ask because if it works with ethernet then at least the problem can be confined to the RPi's Wi-Fi connectivity rather then SA itself.

Back