diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant Wish list, Bugs and Issues.

Answer from SA

“We found there is a bug if your timezone moves in or out of daylight savings, then the value is 0 for that week. You can set your timezone temporarily to a ETC/GMT +- one.”

I'm on 2023-02-28
As am I. We don't change out of DST until this weekend. Seems to me a patch might be handy for everyone not on beta.

I've not had any such issue before with previous daylight time zones changes. Been through a few of them (installed August 2021).

Reactions: kne
Ok!!!
We found there is a bug if your timezone moves in or out of daylight savings, then the value is 0 for that week. On the configuration page, set your timezone temporarily to a ETC/GMT +- ... fixed timezone to work around the issue. Next week you can set it back.

Reactions: kne
Ok!!!
We found there is a bug if your timezone moves in or out of daylight savings, then the value is 0 for that week. On the configuration page, set your timezone temporarily to a ETC/GMT +- ... fixed timezone to work around the issue. Next week you can set it back.
This is a most confusing instruction.

This bug and any recommended fix requires better explanation.

What am I changing? When am I changing it? Why am I changing it?

Am I supposed to wait up until 2AM on Sunday morning when AEDT officially changes to AEST?

What happens if I make the change early, or late, or not at all?

Is a week's data toast either way?

I have set my time to GMT+0 and data is now coming through. Hopefully there will be an update?

It appears all the data has come through at once. Apparently I have made 37.3kWh today! (2.8 in reality)

My additional SA wishes (regarding EG4 support):
  • asking to support the so called address #1 protocol protocol for EG4-LL (V2) batteries so the EG4-6500EX-48 inverter can run with "EG4" battery protocol setting (e.g. to use SOC instead of volts for cut-off, etc.) while using SA in parallel. Until now SA supports only the so called address #2 protocol.
  • asking to get ALL available details of all inverters (incl. inverter temperature, bus voltage, MPPT 2, etc.) by just connecting SA to the EG4 master inverter in a parallel inverter group via RS232
  • asking to get ALL available details of all chained batteries by just connecting SA to the EG4-LL (V2) master battery via RS485
Without this features I need to connect every single inverter AND every single battery via USB to SA to get access to ALL possible data (which requires a lot of USB/RS232 adapters, USB/RS486 adapters, USB hubs, cables, etc.).

On my wish list
1) A calendar with events. You should be able to change all settings like Max Grid Charge current, Charge and output source priority etc according to a schedule
2) Triggers to change settings on conditions. To change any settings if a certain condition occur. IE, If SOC<x, set Max Grid Charge to y. Multiple conditions and settings must be passable.
3) Combine one and two: Triggers in the calendar.

I know the above may be possible with home assistant and is possible if you use a mqtt bridge to certain clouds, but both require extra hardware and have other issues.

Tnx for a great product.

Our clocks changed overnight, DST ended. I see no bug occurring in SA dashboard or with the Home Assistant energy dashboard.

It's just showing one extra interval as 2AM to 2AM, same as last year.

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 7.02.43 am.png

The week data is fine as well (Sunday is first day of week):

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 7.04.29 am.png

Well the bug hit late last night. Weird, why was it OK the day after time zone change?

There is something more to this. My battery charge and discharge energy accumulator sensors have also been resetting every few days. It should never reset. The source data has not reset.

hoping that pierre will make the 12k and 15,k models fully supported again, instead of read only

Is SA has option to get avarage numbers (daily, weekly...) or what tool do you use what that? Going to strat using Home Assistant and as I understand it can do everything, but uses DB of Solar Assist that on my OrangePi and can not use cloud DB of Growatt or Deye (will be installed soon instead of Growatt)

I love Solar Assistant but I prefer Sol Ark Power view to make changes to my 15k.
to each his or her's own.
while i like sunsynk connect ( the sunsunk version of power view) , i hate the fact that it doesnt support my providers dynamic tarrifs, and the impossibiity to programmatically steer the config based on those tarrifs, state of charge of the batteries and current pv

solar assistant and home assistant allow me to do just that.
just installed the latest beta, and it seems to be possible now, will start testing

while i like sunsynk connect ( the sunsunk version of power view) , i hate the fact that it doesnt support my providers dynamic tarrifs, and the impossibiity to programmatically steer the config based on those tarrifs, state of charge of the batteries and current pv

just installed the latest beta, and it seems to be possible now, will start testing
So we use TOU rates extensively. Our utility publishes next day rates at 17:30 each day. Are you able to capture your utilities data and use it? That would be awesome if possible. It’s not terrible but each evening I see the next days rates then go into Power View and set the appropriate time slot to buy cheap power, store it in our ESS then go back off grid for another 24 hours. We then grid sell all or most of our PV production during the day at double or triple the rate we purchased at during the early AM. Takes me a couple of minutes but it would be nice to automate this process.

Attachments

• 6587AA9A-81B1-41D8-81A1-794FBC2935F7.png
    6587AA9A-81B1-41D8-81A1-794FBC2935F7.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

i can confirm that settings i change within SA are picked up in my sunsynk 12k's , very happy with that

So we use TOU rates extensively. Our utility publishes next day rates at 17:30 each day. Are you able to capture your utilities data and use it? That would be awesome if possible. It’s not terrible but each evening I see the next days rates then go into Power View and set the appropriate time slot to buy cheap power, store it in our ESS then go back off grid for another 24 hours. We then grid sell all or most of our PV production during the day at double or triple the rate we purchased at during the early AM. Takes me a couple of minutes but it would be nice to automate this process.
yes i am , i'm using a plugin called nordpool in home assistant, and simply add taxes and fees to the kw price.
based on that i set the TOU on when i want my batteries charged through the grid, or when i want to push back .

the last 2 steps require me to dynamically set the TOU , through SA.
up untill today the last steps werent possible, but after the update of this morning i can once again change the TOU settings through SA

first image are my power rates ( without tax etc)
second image my sa comnected to both battery and sunsynk
last image, the adapted TOUNsettings based on SOC and rates

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230407-174340.jpg
    Screenshot_20230407-174340.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230407-174556.jpg
    Screenshot_20230407-174556.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230407-175200.jpg
    Screenshot_20230407-175200.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 11
This is super interesting. Can you share the tutorials you read?
I am making a tutorial at this moment, for a friend of mine. I did the whole project again, with very little knowledge of Pi's and got it up and running on an Orange Pi. If you want to I can share that document here on the forum. It is not finished yet, but should get you going.

Back