diy solar

diy solar

Solar Battery Charger for Small Boat

Clayengineer

I have a "BASS" boat with a 24v battery array that is used to run an electric trolling motor. There is a lot of discussion about sail boat etal where the boat, SCC and PV panels can all be wired together. My boat leaves from a Boat House where the panels will be located atop the roof and returns when I'm not fishing. Do I install a SCC on the boat and disconnect the PV array ( so that the SCC knows the battery voltage, etc) Or do I keep the SCC in the boat house with the PV array and connect the battery bank when I return? Please be aware that the boat is aluminum with a common grounded negative and the fuel tank lives in the same compartment as the shore power battery charger and batteries.

My desire is to do this as safely as possible so that it can run unattended for long periods of time.

page1image43219584

I would have a SCC that I could power down .... and disconnect the PV panels. With the SCC remaining in the boat house.

Once the SCC is shut down, I would have an Anderson type connector to connect the batteries and then power back up. I'd have that connector located away from the gas tank.

You need a switch to turn the solar panels off to the controller. Then a decent plug of your choice to disconnect the battery from the controller.

As stated above, make sure there is a switch to disconnect the panels before the SCC. For a connector you could use something like the following that you can mount. These SAE connectors are the same that come with Battery Tenders.

Cut the cable in half and extend the male end to the SCC.

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 10.07.04 AM.png

Back