diy solar

diy solar

Solar capacity / power consumption question

marcfest

If appliances connected to my battery draw 200W continuously, and if my solar panels connected to the battery via the charge controller supply 700W, would that supply enough power indefinitely (hypothetically assuming there is 24-hr sunlight)?

As long as the solar panels are providing as much power as you are using then the battery won't be depleted at all. Any extra power, if any, will be used to charge the battery, if needed.

So yeah, with 24-hour sunlight, you could run your loads indefinitely.

If appliances connected to my battery draw 200W continuously, and if my solar panels connected to the battery via the charge controller supply 700W, would that supply enough power indefinitely (hypothetically assuming there is 24-hr sunlight)?

700W x 24 = 16.8kWh (production)
200W x 24 = 4.8kWh (appliance consumption)

So yes, that would be more than enough; however, that calculation is completely impractical (as I'm sure you're aware).

A more realistic very generalized calculation is 5x rated output, so 700W of panels would produce 700W x 5 = 3.5kWh on the average day. Of course, it can be zero if raining/snow and could be 2-3x that much if bright sunny summer day.

Last edited:
Thank you for these replies. Super helpful. I love learning all this stuff :)

Are you going to be part of a team about to be stationed in Antarctica?
Antartica is heading into its winter soon. It's getting darker there, not lighter. You want to be above the Arctic circle this time of year for that fun loving 24-hour sun. :)

Antartica is heading into its winter soon. It's getting darker there, not lighter. You want to be above the Arctic circle this time of year for that fun loving 24-hour sun. :)
Yes, but he's in the planning stage, so I assume he won't be going for several months yet. If it is the Arctic, he's way behind!

Back