diy solar

diy solar

Solar Charge Controller direct to DC Distribution Panel?

paulbram

It seems most people are pairing their Solar system with their Multiplus/AC system etc. However, in my case due to the way in which it makes sense to run wires, I'm trying to keep my solar system and my LIFEPO4/Inverter system separate. That being the case, is it ok for me to run my solar charge controller (fused) directly into my DC distribution panel vs going directly to my batteries?

I'm trying to divide this project into two parts. Part 1 is pushing solar directly into my DC distribution panel, at which point my batteries will get charged etc. Then, later on, I'll pick up a Multiplus 3000 for my batteries and do the AC side of the equation.

Does this make sense? Or do I need to do the normal thing where my solar charge controller feeds directly into a bus bar that feeds both my batteries/Multipus etc?

Welcome to the forum.

So no inverter of any kind and panels to SCC to DC panel to battery?

If so, should be fine provided properly sized conductors, components and necessary over-current protection is in place.

You may experience improved efficiency if you connect directly to the battery.

Agree with snoobler......
You can wire it in to a spare fuse position (if you have one) in the converter instead of a separate fuse. Most trailers these days use #6 or #4 for the battery to converter run, but some still use #10. If it's smaller wire measure the voltage drop when it's charging to decide if it's acceptable.
Our trailer is wired like that with negligible voltage drop.

Thanks. I've decided to prep everything for the final solution, in which case I'm just going to bite the bullet and get everything in one place. I think in the long run the reduced complexity will end up saving time and money.

Thanks. I've decided to prep everything for the final solution, in which case I'm just going to bite the bullet and get everything in one place. I think in the long run the reduced complexity will end up saving time and money.

It can be challenging to do a PV/LiFePO4 system in stages. In my system, I upgraded everything except the inverter. I retained the 1000 watt MSW inverter that I already had. It worked out OK, but when I upgrade to a Multiplus, the converter I bought for the initial upgrade will go away. That's wasted money, but I was over budget and couldn't swing the extra $$$.

Back