diy solar

diy solar

Solar Charge Controller matched with a certain Solar Panel?

Peter LR

Hello!

I'm building my first solar system for a 12x20 shed we built to be used as a gym. I currently only have the following solar charge controller (See pic). Bought from Amazon. Description is below:

• 【Dual USB Port solar controller】5V/2A dual USB ports & 12V/24V battery auto recognition support, Rated Charge & Discharge Current: 26A.The solar charge Controller contains three models which has CMB-2410, CMB-2420 and CMB-2426.
  • 【Multifunction】The solar controller can solve the user's electricity problem by charging different types of batteries.
  • 【LCD Display】 This solar panel charger controller with LCD to display all parameters, the LCD has rich contents, the users can intuitively know the working condition of the controller. Be suitable for home, industrial, commercial etc.
  • 【Installation Instructions】Connect the leisure battery to the solar charge controller. Make sure that the positive and negative cables are inserted correctly into the device. Clip together the male and female connectors to wire up the solar panel. Then connect the solar panel to the charger controller. Finally, check the set up works by trying out an electrical device like an LED light.
  • 【Multi-Load mode setting】Controller support Manual control, Light control, Light control + specific time delay mode, Day ON Nigh OFF mode.

That said, I was thinking of one 300W solar panel to start, but is there a certain type of panel I would need? Does it matter?

Thanks,
Peter

Attachments

• Charge Controller.jpg
    Charge Controller.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 4
Links are more useful than copy/paste.

It's likely a PWM controller. Thus, you need to use panels with a nominal voltage identical to your battery nominal voltage. If you use 12V batteries, you need 12V panels.

Unlikely to work with a 300W panel as those are higher voltage, but it would work with 3X 100W panels.

Back