diy solar

diy solar

Solar charge controller set-up

Offgridsteve

Hello!

Can someone help me determine what I should program my solar charge controller to? The controller came with the 20w panel I’m using.

The controller ratings are :
current 10amp , max pa voltage 50v, max pv input POWER 130w (12v).

My battery ratings are :
12v 22Ah
Standby Use 13.6-13.8v (voltage regulation) & initial current (no limit)

Cyclic use 14.6-14.8v (voltage regulation) & initial current (6.6A)

Currently, it’s running a small 12v flojet water pump.

Looking for suggestions as to what I should adjust all of the settings to.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

You should set your charge controller to 14.6-14.8V bulk/absorp and 13.2V float.

You should also determine if your system can drive the pump as desired.

What is the watts (or amps) of the pump?
How long do you want to use it daily?
How long do you want to be able to run it if you only have cloudy days?

You should set your charge controller to 14.6-14.8V bulk/absorp and 13.2V float.

I’ve run the pump off the battery a bit and it has been working fine. The pump is 7.5 amps @ 50 psi. I’ll only be running to wash hands, dishes, showering etc - so, say 2 hours max but probably much less. I’m pumping out of a 30 gallon holding tank and my grey water system is designed for roughly 25 gallons of water a day so as you can see I have to be conservative! As for number of days running without sun... I think 2-3 days would be fine. I do realize I have a very small set-up and plan to add to it at some point. This was all just a trial run and so far so good...

thanks !

7.5A * 12V * 2h = 180Wh

Battery has 12V * 22Ah = 264Wh

For battery health, shouldn't use more than 1/2 its capacity, so you only have 132Wh

A 20W panel can produce about 100Wh per day assuming your area gets the 5 hours per day rule.

Your system is currently undersized for the application and can't sustain the pump for the desired period.

For 1 day of pumping without sun, you can run the pump for about (132Wh/180Wh * 2hr) 1.5 hours.
The amount of run time the solar can provide is about (100Wh/180Wh * 2h) 1.1 hours.

Sorry, should have included this in my original reply . Is bulk/absorp the same as “discharge” ?

7.5A * 12V * 2h = 180Wh

Battery has 12V * 22Ah = 264Wh

For battery health, shouldn't use more than 1/2 its capacity, so you only have 132Wh

A 20W panel can produce about 100Wh per day assuming your area gets the 5 hours per day rule.

Your system is currently undersized for the application and can't sustain the pump for the desired period.

For 1 day of pumping without sun, you can run the pump for about (132Wh/180Wh * 2hr) 1.5 hours.
The amount of run time the solar can provide is about (100Wh/180Wh * 2h) 1.1 hours.
Thank you!

Sorry, should have included this in my original reply . Is bulk/absorp the same as “discharge” ?
[/QUOTE]

In a charge controller, you program the charge voltages. Bulk/absorption are the same value, but some chargers use one or the other.

I don't understand your question.

Back