diy solar

diy solar

Solar charge controller wired to the panel instead of the battery?

moonlitsouls

Ok so I got an additional solar panel mounted today and I also swapped in my lithium battery. It was discovered that the SCC is actually wired directly to the main breaker panel and not the battery , thoughts? Not sure if this is normal

Battery one and two on the SCC are being wired directly to the main panel and they wrap around here to battery positive and negative

it’s independently fused in the back

805A7384-D255-4C7A-A6AD-12C280506291.jpeg

3454F855-D56D-443E-ACB3-312C749BB235.jpeg

Last edited:
I cannot really tell from the pictures, especially the second picture.
When you said 'Main panel', What do you mean by that? Are you talking about AC main panel?
May be you should zoom out so we can see how each 'Box' are wired up.
Make and Model of the SCC?

Looks like the installer utilized the existing feed to the battery-it's fine in theory but your battery wires appear to be #10 and its a bit messy with strands hanging out. How much solar are you using and how far is it to the batteries from the power centre?
What brand power centre?

To me , this is what I understood to be the main panel it has all the circuit breakers

attached is a photo of the model of progressive dynamics

and an Amazon link to the SCC

it’s a go power - GP-PWM-30-UL Solar Controller - 30A, Digital

Go Power! By Valterra GP-PWM-30-UL Solar Controller - 30A, Digital https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KIUDBQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_DYGT7RJQPZG93MMR8J8S

From the solar panels there is about 5 feet directly down to the “main breaker panel” pictured here. I’ve never seen this done this way so pls let me know if this needs to be addressed

C3B5FED0-0374-496D-B9CF-3B93DF492E6A.jpeg414CBFE8-1346-449A-A64B-6FC8927FB75E.jpeg

It’s one thing after another with this camper. I can easily buy more wire and run the wire from the panels directly to the battery is that’s better.

There is nothing wrong with it except the messy strands hanging out, there is probably a negative bussbar behind the power centre that may be a better connection point for the negative . The only issue may be the distance to the battery on #10 wire and corresponding voltage drop. It might be #8 wire there as well-can't tell from the photo.

Direct to the battery is best with the controller close to the battery for better voltage control.
If you have a battery cut off switch it will probably disconnect the solar too.
As long as you know what you have and you don't have issues I would probably leave it.

I have a GoPower controller that was installed by an RV service facility. They wired it directly to the battery. When I upgraded to LiFePO4, it ended benefitting me to have it wired that way.

I don't have a problem with the controller being wired into the main distribution panel. As long as the wires are sized right, it's OK.

Back