diy solar

diy solar

Solar charging truck while driving?

Billmt

Would it be possible to charge, an electric truck while driving?

thinking about the new F150 Lightning— with solar ladder rack, and possible inverter gas generator in the back, would that be possible?? How much solar could you mount on the ladder rack, and would it be worth it?

The small amount of panels you could fit on a ladder rack would add very few miles of range to the truck.

A small electric car gets 320 watt hours per mile. I bet the F-150 and Tesla truck will need more watt hours per mile.

A 270 watt panel on Craigslist is 77 X 39. If you put 3 of those on your roof and parked in the sun, you could get some miles. Those same three panels on top of a Tesla car, which of course wouldn't fit, would get you 12 miles. My bet is it would get you 5 miles in your truck. The charger for a car is a bit more difficult than a 12 volt battery and not off the shelf, and that would need to be designed.

If ideas like this were good and affordable, they would come from the factory with panels installed. I think designers in Tesla, Ford and every other EV vehicle have come up with a design and it is just not worth the extra cost compared to the one or two dollars a day saved in power to the average consumer.

I would say a 3000-5000 watt generator running while driving would add range I would think... but I bet it won't allow charging while driving

I would say a 3000-5000 watt generator running while driving would add range I would think... but I bet it won't allow charging while driving
That would be a hybrid, no? Ford already makes an F150 Gas-Electric hybrid. 24 miles to the gallon, and has outlets in the bed so it can be used as a generator to run your house or job site.

That would be a hybrid, no? Ford already makes an F150 Gas-Electric hybrid. 24 miles to the gallon, and has outlets in the bed so it can be used as a generator to run your house or job site.
no since in hybrids the gas motor turns the wheels.

it would be cool for the rare trip to have a range extended...

Back