diy solar

diy solar

Solar Feedback/Suggestions

VictorNYC

All,

During the pandemic, my 9 year old son and I built an 8x12 clubhouse in the backyard. I told him that we’d put a solar panel on top. I was looking into “affordable” options, but it appears to be more expensive than I planned. Do you have any suggestions on brands or kits or stores that I could look into for this project. Below is what I was thinking. Let me know if this is good or overkill for a clubhouse (needs to power some LED lights, a laptop, a tablet, phone, internet router, maybe a small fan, etc).

• Renogy 100W 12V Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit with 20A Rover MPPT Charge Controller
  • Renogy 700 Watt 12 Volt Battery Power Inverter
  • Renogy 12V 100Ah Deep Cycle AGM Battery w/Battery Box

I’m also thinking of adding a fuse and a temp/volt monitor, but those are extra items. For the 3 items above, it’s around $675. Am I getting really good stuff or is solar just that expensive? I was hoping to spend between $250-$400.

Thank you,
VictorNYC

Attachments

• IMG_9039.jpg
    IMG_9039.jpg
    655.1 KB · Views: 1
PLEASE, Avoid Renogy, it IS real crap, overpriced and their support/service makes Atrocious sound good, Many Many BAD reviews here & elsewhere.

I have used THIS Equipment for small setups and "utility" functions. It is good affordable Simple stuff for light duty uses... and the product quality is actually quite good ! It is "Basic stuff" you'll never run a house or anything like that with it... but a PlayShack or Bunkie it's good.

Grape Solar makes various "kits" but they are a Consumer Retail Plug & Play (and pay for it big time) stuff. It is OK, Service & Support is great BUT it's like 200%+ more SSS because it is all designed as plug & play no thought or knowledge really required, Consumer Ready KIT Product.

VictorNYC
New York City?

99 bucks for 340W

Top notch SCC (get the bluetooth, trust me)

Renogy 12V 100Ah Deep Cycle AGM Battery w/Battery Box
Sure why not. Its a good simple start. When he moves outside permanently you may want to consider bigger and/or LiFePO4. Great starter project!

Inverter? I'd strongly recommend getting a pure sine wave as it will be a LOT gentler on your electronics. Think of it as an investment. And, if its big enough (500W?) you could probably bring your battery inside and power your refrigerator for a while.

Quick math:
My 27cuft energy star uses about 80Wh x 24h = 1920Wh per day

100Ah x 50% (discharge limit to 12V) x 12.8V = 640Wh storage
So the battery would run your fridge for about 5-6 hours.

With everything outside and the sun shining (and continual moving panel into sun all day) you might be able to keep an extension cord connected refrigerator running indefinitely if sunny. Just a thought.

PLEASE, Avoid Renogy, it IS real crap, overpriced and their support/service makes Atrocious sound good, Many Many BAD reviews here & elsewhere.

I have used THIS Equipment for small setups and "utility" functions. It is good affordable Simple stuff for light duty uses... and the product quality is actually quite good ! It is "Basic stuff" you'll never run a house or anything like that with it... but a PlayShack or Bunkie it's good.

Grape Solar makes various "kits" but they are a Consumer Retail Plug & Play (and pay for it big time) stuff. It is OK, Service & Support is great BUT it's like 200%+ more SSS because it is all designed as plug & play no thought or knowledge really required, Consumer Ready KIT Product.
Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I'll keep doing research, and I'll definitely consider the Coleman (or Grape) products. Thanks again.

Back