diy solar

diy solar

Solar for a small camper trailer

hannah.rm

Just purchased a Viking 9.0 camper trailer, by Coachmen. This unit has a 2 pin solar outlet so I’d like to connect a 100W panel which will feed the 12 volt battery when I’m boondocking. Do most panels come with a controller? Would also like a longer cable so I can park the trailer in the shade but access sun with the panel. Thanks for your input. I’m a newbie!

You could get something like this:

Maybe get two panels and connect them with hinges so you can fold them up when not being used. You can get MC4 connector cables up to 100' in length to move the panels out into the sun.

I was looking at the pics, and seem like you have the perfect ski ramp for solar panels when the camper is opened up, but obviously that will not work in the shade.

Just purchased a Viking 9.0 camper trailer, by Coachmen. This unit has a 2 pin solar outlet so I’d like to connect a 100W panel which will feed the 12 volt battery when I’m boondocking. Do most panels come with a controller? Would also like a longer cable so I can park the trailer in the shade but access sun with the panel. Thanks for your input. I’m a newbie!

No, most panels do NOT come with a solar charge controller. Either ask the manufacturer if there is a solar charge controller already installed or start poking around in the trailer. Sometimes the "Solar Ready" just means the wires are there. Other times, it's ready for solar to get plugged in. The provider of the "Solar Ready" probably sells a kit that will connect right up. It will likely be more expensive than if you DIY, but it will be plug-and-play and designed to not exceed the wiring in the trailer.

The 2 pin outlet may be an SAE connector, like this one. There are warnings all over the place that often the red/black wires for these SAE connectors are backwards. So keep that in mind so you don't fry your system.

Most solar panels are going to come with MC4 connectors. For your extension cable you'll need MC4 on one end and SAE on the other. I built my own extension cord that way. You may be able to find someone online that build cables that way. Or, make it yourself. The MC4 connectors require a special crimping die. The SAE cable uses standard crimping (it's just a 10 gauge cable).

My "solar ready" camper simply had a crappy SAE connector attached to the battery with a small fuse in it.

I removed all that nonsense in favor of a tongue box but depending where your connector is you may or may not be able to see if it has a controller.

I'd wager you don't though, as that's typically dependent on how big a panel you buy, and they can't control that so they leave it to the user.

Some folding panels include the controller right on the back of it and then it's just straight plug and go. That might be a better route for you, so it's worth looking for one that has it "built in".

I have this folding panel, and it's really solidly built and I'm happy with it.

I have 150w of total solar on my baby camper (including this panel) and at peak I've seen 135w from the combination.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HZ25FS...t_i_G0GK0PGYHAPEH9DYDXRN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

20210704_105853.jpg

Back