diy solar

diy solar

solar for car and well pump

WahineX

Thank you in advance for your help. I have been watching videos and reading websites but I really have no idea what I am doing.

I want to build a solar system that I could use charge my Ford CMAX Energi hybrid car (7.6 kWh) and run a well pump (unfortunately, they are on opposite sides of the house), so I will probably put it on a trolley to take it to the car to charge (after disconnecting from panel). I might want to move it to a boat or cabin, when I retire, so I would like it to be marine grade.

I was looking at getting:
* A Renogy 300w 24 volt mono crystalline solar panel,
* A Battle Born 50 Ah 24 v LiFePO4 Deep Cycle battery, and
* MPP Solar LV2424 hybrid interverter (2.4 kw, 24v, 110/120VAC, 80A/2Kw, 60A utility charger).

I already have wire (600 volts).

Will this work? Do I need anything else? Suggestions?

Assuming you get perfect sun on a perfectly oriented panel, you'll be lucky to generate 1.5kWh/day, BUT, your battery only hold 50*25.6 = 1.28kWh, so there's no way you'll be able to get that much. With a ~1500W draw on the system, you'll have to wait until your battery is full and then start charging - done in an hour or so when the battery is tapped.

A well pump may be very difficult to run. They tend to have very high surge currents (5X the run current) and require a low frequency inverter with good surge capability. Describe your well, and what are your pump specs?

Here is what I got off my well pump: 3/4 HP, v 115/230, max amp 12.8/6.4

This is the pump label

Attachments

• 03B40FD3-491F-491F-85DA-8C7992E4E0A5_1_201_a.jpeg
    03B40FD3-491F-491F-85DA-8C7992E4E0A5_1_201_a.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 6
Forgot to mention the well is only for gardening and emergencies if city water isn't available. We don't use it for every day.I'm also like to have a small pond pump on solar, if possible.

The pump will probably draw 50 amps if 120V (6kW) for an instant starting. There are inverters that can do it, not sure about that particular one you listed.
A water tank to tide you over until utility power returns might be more practical. Get a 12V Surflow pump or similar to push water into your pipes.

The fact you have a picture of the pump motor tells me it's not down in the well casing.
Is that a shallow well suction pump? (inlet goes down the well)
Or a jet pump? (Outlet of pump goes down the well)

If suction you could probably stick a hose down into the well and set up a 12V positive-displacement pump.
If jet, could get a gas powered pump.

No reason to charge a hybrid during power outages, just buy gas in that case.
Too bad that model doesn't have an inverter to power your house/pump.

As george65 said, use PV panels to charge the grid (which will accept however much or little power the panels produce). Then use the grid to charge the car (which will draw as much as it wants.)

But before you do grid-tie, find out what your utility company will do to you in terms of rates. If they impose a different rate schedule on grid-tie PV users, that may be better or worse for you, and that may depend on how much PV you install.

Back