diy solar

diy solar

Solar generator battery charging with Tesla

dykdidyouknow

Ignoring warranty voiding of the Tesla:

I have a solar generator built in a toolbox with 100ah LiFePO4 battery that usually charges from a 200w solar panel just for a little bit of portable backup power for camping or to run a fan/heated blanket in a bad weather power outage.
My question is could I safely recharge that battery using my Tesla? I was thinking just hooking the 12v battery in the car to it and letting them balance could work, but the LiFePO4 is actually a 14v so maybe not.

maybe I could run the 12v battery in the car through the solar dc input on my charge controller?

I want to do this to be able to carry my power back inside my house, and I don’t want to run an inverter off of the car because that seems like it can cause damage. I’m hoping a controlled charge via my Victron charge controller would be nicer to the battery (and I can control exactly how much I’m pulling from the battery)

Last edited:
You could use a DC-DC charger... Like the Renogy or Victron ones, advertised for RV main chassis battery/alternator to house bank lithium charging... They can take a wide range of input from 10-16v or something (from the Tesla 12v battery circuit), and output a correct charge curve to manage charging a LiFePO4 12v bank...

Examples:

And hopefully you weren't meaning to use the HV battery to directly charge (using a SCC), were you? That gets into bigger obstacles, like voiding the Tesla warranty and such (as it would require a main battery tap connection)...

Last edited:
You could use a DC-DC charger... Like the Renogy or Victron ones, advertised for RV main chassis battery/alternator to house bank lithium charging... They can take a wide range of input from 10-16v or something (from the Tesla 12v battery circuit), and output a correct charge curve to manage charging a LiFePO4 12v bank...

Examples:

And hopefully you weren't meaning to use the HV battery to directly charge (using a SCC), were you? That gets into bigger obstacles, like voiding the Tesla warranty and such (as it would require a main battery tap connection)...
I have no interest in touching the HV system haha. Thank you for the links I didn’t know these existed.

I have no interest in touching the HV system haha. Thank you for the links I didn’t know these existed.

The reason I had asked is because I did run a wire tap onto my Prius HV battery for a 5kW inverter in the trunk, so it is not outside of the realm of possibility, that's all. It's not necessarily a mod for everyone though. Mine is still under warranty ( I guess until they find out I did it?)..

I've had it back to the dealer a handful of times for normal servicing and they've never asked about the big heavy equipment in the trunk and I guess they never saw the 8 awg wire coming out in the hatchback from under the carpet...

The reason I had asked is because I did run a wire tap onto my Prius HV battery for a 5kW inverter in the trunk, so it is not outside of the realm of possibility, that's all. It's not necessarily a mod for everyone though. Mine is still under warranty ( I guess until they find out I did it?)..

I've had it back to the dealer a handful of times for normal servicing and they've never asked about the big heavy equipment in the trunk and I guess they never saw the 8 awg wire coming out in the hatchback from under the carpet...
That’s pretty awesome! I don’t want to Risk voiding my warranty… yet

Fairly certain the Tesla converter will put 80+ amps into the 12v system if you turn the car on. Easily drive that DC-DC converter linked above.

Back