diy solar

diy solar

Solar Generator Connection to Circuit Panel

Diemjoe

Hi,
Working to build a fully off grid cabin. Very limited power needs. Fridge, lights, device charging and some outlets for this and that. Am deciding between an all in one Solar Generator and a DIY setup. Was wondering if anyone knows of a generator out there that allows for a connection to a service panel. I don't really want to be tripping over extension cords. Am leaning towards a DIY with a couple 100 Ah batteries.

Thanks

Don

Welcome to the forum.

Can't answer your specific question, but I'm sure it's easy to accomplish.

I mostly just want to +1 your "leaning towards a DIY" and ask, "what kind of Fridge?"

Hi,
Working to build a fully off grid cabin. Very limited power needs. Fridge, lights, device charging and some outlets for this and that. Am deciding between an all in one Solar Generator and a DIY setup. Was wondering if anyone knows of a generator out there that allows for a connection to a service panel. I don't really want to be tripping over extension cords. Am leaning towards a DIY with a couple 100 Ah batteries.

Thanks

Don
I believe any portable power station will work with a transfer switch connected to service panel, depending on load of course. For example.

Last edited:
If your post had started with "Very limited power needs. Lights, device charging and some outlets for this and that", then I would say yes. Powering a refrigerator though is NOT a limited power load. Expect a refrigerator to consume at least 1kWh per day, for a small frig. A more deluxe two-door refrigerator/freezer will be more in the 2kWh per day range.

You don't really want to use the term "solar generator" here. This term mostly refers to little wheeled cart systems that you roll in place to supply power to something you're working on outside. What you should be asking about is an off-grid power system.

Since this question comes up over and over, and I have the numbers for my own off-grid cabin, I can throw out some specs for you. The minimal values you can expect would be 2-3 kWh of consumption per day. I'd say you could throw together a workable system with a 200+Ah battery bank at 24V, 1000W of panels (4 250W grid-ties), a 50A MPPT charge controller (look at Epever's 50A), and a 3000-4000W sine-wave inverter.

High-frequency all-in-one inverters typically have next to zero meaningful surge, so I would not recommend you buy anything HF unless someone else here has confirmed the unit you want to buy has ran their refrigerator. Frankly, I see more posts here on what these inverters can't power instead of what they have powered.

Here is a quality inverter that I would recommend. It's what I use in my workshop's 24V system.
It handles the start-up surges of all my power tools, and it's a split-phase 120/240V inverter designed to be wired directly into your cabin's main electrical panel. It also has a dedicated generator charging circuit. You wire a generator plug circuit on the outside wall of your cabin, then you can charge the batteries directly just running the generator's power through the inverter. No transfer switch required. The inverter itself is the transfer switch. Here's another less expensive inverter, that can likely run your refrigerator. https://ressupply.com/inverters/samlex-pst-1500-24-pure-sine-wave-inverter

Here's a minimalist system that might get you started.
4 200+Ah 6volt golf-cart batteries
4 250W grid-tie panels
50A Epever charge controller
1500W sine-wave inverter
5000W generator
You could put this together yourself for about 2000$.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks

Don

Think you need to look at @MichaelK reply as they speak to power requirements of a refrigerator. With that being said, if you absolutely had to use just a solar generator, like a Yeti, and hookup to a panel there is this. https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-Integration-Transfer-Switch/dp/B07C535GCZ
If you look around you can find it cheaper as a Pro/tran 2.

I know some people that have cabins out in the hills and don't like to keep anything of major value and need a portable system. Go away too long and squatters may steal anything left behind.

You could also build yourself a cheaper and larger system than a Yeti that would support requirements of a refrigerator. Search for portable or solar cart, etc...

If your post had started with "Very limited power needs. Lights, device charging and some outlets for this and that", then I would say yes. Powering a refrigerator though is NOT a limited power load. Expect a refrigerator to consume at least 1kWh per day, for a small frig. A more deluxe two-door refrigerator/freezer will be more in the 2kWh per day range.

You don't really want to use the term "solar generator" here. This term mostly refers to little wheeled cart systems that you roll in place to supply power to something you're working on outside. What you should be asking about is an off-grid power system.

Since this question comes up over and over, and I have the numbers for my own off-grid cabin, I can throw out some specs for you. The minimal values you can expect would be 2-3 kWh of consumption per day. I'd say you could throw together a workable system with a 200+Ah battery bank at 24V, 1000W of panels (4 250W grid-ties), a 50A MPPT charge controller (look at Epever's 50A), and a 3000-4000W sine-wave inverter.

High-frequency all-in-one inverters typically have next to zero meaningful surge, so I would not recommend you buy anything HF unless someone else here has confirmed the unit you want to buy has ran their refrigerator. Frankly, I see more posts here on what these inverters can't power instead of what they have powered.

Here is a quality inverter that I would recommend. It's what I use in my workshop's 24V system.
It handles the start-up surges of all my power tools, and it's a split-phase 120/240V inverter designed to be wired directly into your cabin's main electrical panel. It also has a dedicated generator charging circuit. You wire a generator plug circuit on the outside wall of your cabin, then you can charge the batteries directly just running the generator's power through the inverter. No transfer switch required. The inverter itself is the transfer switch. Here's another less expensive inverter, that can likely run your refrigerator. https://ressupply.com/inverters/samlex-pst-1500-24-pure-sine-wave-inverter

Here's a minimalist system that might get you started.
4 200+Ah 6volt golf-cart batteries
4 250W grid-tie panels
50A Epever charge controller
1500W sine-wave inverter
5000W generator
You could put this together yourself for about 2000$.
Thank you for all the data. I think that I am going to spend the money and get a propane powered RV fridge. I have purchased a couple 100 ah 12v big batteries, and 24v MPP Solar charger/inverter and a couple 250v panels to get started. Cabin plans are on hold for this yearuntil lumber prices come down. So will just be experimenting as time permits.

Think you need to look at @MichaelK reply as they speak to power requirements of a refrigerator. With that being said, if you absolutely had to use just a solar generator, like a Yeti, and hookup to a panel there is this. https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-Integration-Transfer-Switch/dp/B07C535GCZ
If you look around you can find it cheaper as a Pro/tran 2.

I know some people that have cabins out in the hills and don't like to keep anything of major value and need a portable system. Go away too long and squatters may steal anything left behind.

You could also build yourself a cheaper and larger system than a Yeti that would support requirements of a refrigerator. Search for portable or solar cart, etc...
Thanks. You are right. Solar generator is not the term I was going for, just where I was at in my you tube watching. I am going to have a permanently installed solar system when the time comes.

Back