diy solar

diy solar

Solar Generators, Solar Panel Array, and Grounding vs Grounded Confusion.

Atomicpunk

Hello Everybody,
I have a question concerning Solar Generators (being free floating systems) and setting up Solar Panels and how/if they should be grounded. The more I researched it, them more questions I developed and became more confused. (If I can't get an answer here, I will end up consulting with an Electrician). I wanted to provide two situations and see if it matters whether if I setup a seconded grounding rod for solar panels without "bonding" it to my Home (grid) grounding rod. Essentially, the entire grounding dilemma.

Purpose of system:
<1% of the time (insurance and peace of mind by providing power during extended periods of power outage to power a fridge and freezer.
>99% Running Pond pump and a couple outdoor lights.

Proposed System:
  1. I plan on purchasing the AC300 Bluetti Solar generator with 2 (3072W) Batteries and about 2000W of Panels - via 2 x 1000W Solar Arrays (utilizing the 2 MPPT Controllers in the AC300).
  2. Panels will NOT be on the roof, 3 will be on a wooden shed frame (in Series) and 3 on a Metal Gazebo roof (in Series).
  3. The AC300 will NOT be tied into the Grid power/panel. It will be independent (except in one scenario where I would plug into grid power to charge the batteries).
  4. Powering a 200W & UV clarifier for a backyard fish pond pump 24/7 and maybe a few lights, keeping it under 300W(per hour).
Scenarios:
The best way I can ask my grounding question is to ask 2 different scenarios and if it actually makes a difference for grounding the Solar Panels.

Example A: The AC300 is completely off grid power, and not even plugged into grid power to charge up the batteries.​
  • Do I/ Should I need to incorporate a grounding rod in the backyard (NOT BONDED to my Grid Power Grounding Rod) and then tie it in with 2 fuse boxes for each solar array -like a combiner box. I understand the combiner box is for parallel setups - is there a lightning arrestor/static discharge panel like a combiner box or should I use a single input on the combiner box.
  • Do I need to be concerned about a Second Grounding Rod that is NOT bonded to my Home grid power Grounding Rod?
Example B: The AC300 Solar Generator is not TIED directly to my grid BUT I do plan on keeping it plugged into an AC outlet of the grid power to charge via grid power, IN CASE of Cloudy days where the batteries are not topped off and wouldn't be able to run the pond pump overnight.​
  • If I incorporated a second grounding rod (like in the Example A), do I need to bond it my House Grid Grounding rod?

You see my confusion lies in “grounding” versus “grounded” versus “neutral”, I understand that the solar generators are floating systems but do not understand their internal solar power inputs and their protection circuits. I know that I should most likely incorporate a 2nd grounding rod to help protect against loose wires that can occur in time that could energize the solar frame (GROUNDED) and also help with static accumulation, BUT I read that's a big no-no by not bonding it to your other grounding rod. HOWEVER, It's not TIED into my home grid power (GROUNDING). Although there is the possibility that I would like to plug the AC charging into the AC 300 Solar Generator to help with low sun-power days. Though that is NOT the same as tying the solar array into grid power, correct?

If there are ANY ideas on how to keep my Solar Array "Grounded" without bonding it to my grid power grounding rod (involving LONG runs of grounding wire and electrician(s) and additional costs); I will appreciate any input.
Note: I know the grounding rods won't protect against direct lightning strikes, I am just concerned about distant lightning and static charge accumulating on the array (safety) and then affecting the solar generator and the batteries. (I do live in the lightning capital - Tampa).

Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide,
William

Well. no responses yet. Interesting.

I just found this in a search, because I was looking for discussion of grounding one side of a solar array, and this seemed the most likely.

I have a small array on top of a vehicle, and plan to build an aluminum frame which can support the whole array independently of the roof. Since some of the aluminum pieces are substantial, I wonder why I shouldn't use them to carry the negative side of the solar panel current most of the way from the panel boxes to the point where everything enters the vehicle, making one or more pieces of the aluminum structure a busbar, in addition to structural support.

I use a Bluetti AC200P to power a couple chest freezers and occasionally some power tools or a shop vac. I do not do any special grounding.

Hello Everybody,
I have a question concerning Solar Generators (being free floating systems) and setting up Solar Panels and how/if they should be grounded. The more I researched it, them more questions I developed and became more confused. (If I can't get an answer here, I will end up consulting with an Electrician). I wanted to provide two situations and see if it matters whether if I setup a seconded grounding rod for solar panels without "bonding" it to my Home (grid) grounding rod. Essentially, the entire grounding dilemma.

Purpose of system:
<1% of the time (insurance and peace of mind by providing power during extended periods of power outage to power a fridge and freezer.

Proposed System:
  1. I plan on purchasing the AC300 Bluetti Solar generator with 2 (3072W) Batteries and about 2000W of Panels - via 2 x 1000W Solar Arrays (utilizing the 2 MPPT Controllers in the AC300).
  2. Panels will NOT be on the roof, 3 will be on a wooden shed frame (in Series) and 3 on a Metal Gazebo roof (in Series).
  3. The AC300 will NOT be tied into the Grid power/panel. It will be independent (except in one scenario where I would plug into grid power to charge the batteries).
  4. Powering a 200W & UV clarifier for a backyard fish pond pump 24/7 and maybe a few lights, keeping it under 300W(per hour).
Scenarios:
The best way I can ask my grounding question is to ask 2 different scenarios and if it actually makes a difference for grounding the Solar Panels.

Example A: The AC300 is completely off grid power, and not even plugged into grid power to charge up the batteries.​
  • Do I/ Should I need to incorporate a grounding rod in the backyard (NOT BONDED to my Grid Power Grounding Rod) and then tie it in with 2 fuse boxes for each solar array -like a combiner box. I understand the combiner box is for parallel setups - is there a lightning arrestor/static discharge panel like a combiner box or should I use a single input on the combiner box.
  • Do I need to be concerned about a Second Grounding Rod that is NOT bonded to my Home grid power Grounding Rod?
Example B: The AC300 Solar Generator is not TIED directly to my grid BUT I do plan on keeping it plugged into an AC outlet of the grid power to charge via grid power, IN CASE of Cloudy days where the batteries are not topped off and wouldn't be able to run the pond pump overnight.​
  • If I incorporated a second grounding rod (like in the Example A), do I need to bond it my House Grid Grounding rod?

You see my confusion lies in “grounding” versus “grounded” versus “neutral”, I understand that the solar generators are floating systems but do not understand their internal solar power inputs and their protection circuits. I know that I should most likely incorporate a 2nd grounding rod to help protect against loose wires that can occur in time that could energize the solar frame (GROUNDED) and also help with static accumulation, BUT I read that's a big no-no by not bonding it to your other grounding rod. HOWEVER, It's not TIED into my home grid power (GROUNDING). Although there is the possibility that I would like to plug the AC charging into the AC 300 Solar Generator to help with low sun-power days. Though that is NOT the sa me as tying the solar array into grid power, correct?

If there are ANY ideas on how to keep my Solar Array "Grounded" without bonding it to my grid power grounding rod (involving LONG runs of grounding wire and electrician(s) and additional costs); I will appreciate any input.
Note: I know the grounding rods won't protect against direct lightning strikes, I am just concerned about distant lightning and static charge accumulating on the array (safety) and then affecting the solar generator and the batteries. (I do live in the lightning capital - Tampa).

William
I too am seeking a similar answer about grounding at a distant ground mounted PV array. The more I read (including NEC 2020) the more I am confused. I think NOBODY really knows ... they just try it until it fails then update the recommendation/code. All you have to do is read the NEC code from 2005 - 2020 and you will see GROUNDING codes are confusing at best.
If no one responds here with a satistfactory answer and you have to consult an electrician, would you please post your final conclusion here too. Thanks.

Hello Everybody,

Purpose of system:

Proposed System:
Scenarios:

You see my confusion lies in “grounding” versus “grounded” versus “neutral”, I understand that the solar generators are floating systems but do not understand their internal solar power inputs and their protection circuits. I know that I should most likely incorporate a 2nd grounding rod to help protect against loose wires that can occur in time that could energize the solar frame (GROUNDED) and also help with static accumulation, BUT I read that's a big no-no by not bonding it to your other grounding rod. HOWEVER, It's not TIED into my home grid power (GROUNDING). Although there is the possibility that I would like to plug the AC charging into the AC 300 Solar Generator to help with low sun-power days. Though that is NOT the same as tying the solar array into grid power, correct?

William
I have a problem with my AC300 popping GFCI and regular breakers. Research of users says use two prong adapter in 3 prong plug with no ground. For some reason when the AC300 kicks into charge mode it will trip the GFCI outlet or a breaker. I know a 110v ground can be wired to the neutral and that’s not an earth ground. But AC300 does not have a ground bolt or screw on the unit.

I’m not certain their answer is safe.

Back