diy solar

diy solar

Solar Grid tie with battried

Sammyt69

Hi

New to this site, I was wondering if my below question is possible.

I have a shed approximately 15meters from my home, I have 2 245w panels, 1 feeds a victron charge controller and 1 feeds a 500w grid tie inverter.

Is it possible for me to have to have say a 1.5kw array on the shed roof, a 1kw inverter that acts like a grid tie inverter and powers the house and also powers when the sun goes down(from the batteries)

My issue is that the only power cable I have going between the house and the shed is a 2.5mm cable.

Thank you for your help
Sam

2.5mm (per conductor) is 10 awg, good for 30 amps, 3600W at 120V or 6600W at 220V.

Why batteries? You can have AC from house power the shed, and grid tie inverter on shed backfeed the wire and the grid.

2.5mm (per conductor) is 10 awg, good for 30 amps, 3600W at 120V or 6600W at 220V.

Why batteries? You can have AC from house power the shed, and grid tie inverter on shed backfeed the wire and the grid.
Hi

Great idea, maybe I'll get get a bigger grid tie inverter. It would just be nice to have some batteries, that have been charged via solar, power the house after the sun has gone down? Or is this not possible?

Thanks Sam

Very possible. But,
PV cost < utility cost < battery cost.
You can power a light with a modestly priced battery and wouldn't care about the price difference.
If you want to run a space heater, the capital investment is too much.

DIY LiFePO4 is getting to a price where it may be worthwhile to game time-of-use utility rates to to store your own power rather than pay the costs and jump through the hoops of net metering. But it will be a project, with pitfalls.

There are some hybrid inverters which will do grid tie, battery backup, batteryless backup. Those might be a nice fit if you want power during grid failures. I don't have experience with those, just my heavy duty system with AGM batteries sufficient to barely get through the night.

MPP-Solar
LVX-6048

Back