diy solar

diy solar

Solar Ground Mount with Repurposed Pop Up Trailer Frame

jgriffin

Hey there,

Working away on my first system for a Park Model RV. I’ve ordered my components, and I picked up my pallet of solar panels. I ordered 21 B-Grade Silfab panels, 265 watt a piece. I was sent 4 - 260 watt, 7 - 285 watt, and 10 - 300 watt.

I’m going to be hooking up 3s3p for the first system, going to a midnite solar classic 150. I was going to build a wooden structure for the panels, but we’re in a high wind area, often see 90 knot gusts in the winter. I kinda like the idea of mounting the panels directly to a stripped down pop up trailer frame. Drill some holes in the frame, then use some z clamps to secure them. Maybe something between the panels and the steel to keep dissimilar metals from making contact with each other.

Where this is an rv, it’s primarily used in the summer. I only need around 30 degrees for optimum angle in my area (Island in New Brunswick, closer to Maine really), and I feel I can adjust the trailer frame entirely depending what time of year it is (park on a hill sideways, or jack up one side and set on blocking. Then in the harsh winters, I can bring the entire thing to a more sheltered location, and leave them flat so wind won’t catch underneath.

Does anyone see potential issues with this kind of setup? Very much a newb at this point, so I appreciate all criticism!

Also, any issues with using the 7 285 watt and 2 260 watt to complete my 3s3p? They are the same manufacturer, and open circuit voltage, amps, are very similar. I’d like to keep all my 300’s the same for another project.

Thanks!

C00AD14F-0688-439B-9A55-BE53DC274DD6.jpeg

Attachments

• 01D30BF0-F38A-4028-91BE-E3574C0A19B3.jpeg
    01D30BF0-F38A-4028-91BE-E3574C0A19B3.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 6
Well, I can't answer your question specifically. However, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. But, leaving it more as a permanent solution. Thinking the mounting on a trailer will help avoid the cost of permitting, inspections, etc (as I can claim it is a mobile system :) .

I understand the potential for wind lift. But, the requirement for digging a 7' hole and concreting in a ground pole mount (or multiple poles) just seems way overkill for where I live. Even when the occasional hurricane hits us, the wind speeds have never been more than 70mph gusts. (My neighbor has 3 panels just leaning against the side of his house for the last 15 years) Thinking between the weight of the trailer and screwing in some ground screws to hold it down should be fine for 6-8 panels...

CA46EF20-725C-4375-A4C0-76C9ED9AC789.jpeg

Attachments

• 72396360-BB39-469F-B153-BB1A543554B0.jpeg
    72396360-BB39-469F-B153-BB1A543554B0.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 7
For the moment, I’ve placed 6 crudely on there with z brackets and large self taping screws. I’ll straighten them out when I have more time to work on them. Still waiting on my charge controller so no real urgency yet.
I left the pieces coming off the frame in tact, and it made for a couple nice mounting points that lined up perfectly with the mounting holes on the back of the panels. I have a jack holding them up temporarily, but will put it up on more permanent blocking before our next puff of wind.
With the tires removed, the overhang doesn’t sit on top of the tires. If someone had some scrap lumber, they could bring the entire frame up 4” and it’d make it so the overhang would clear the tires. Then the tires could be sitting on a high point on the land, and could tilt as needed potentially.

Well, I can't answer your question specifically. However, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. But, leaving it more as a permanent solution. Thinking the mounting on a trailer will help avoid the cost of permitting, inspections, etc (as I can claim it is a mobile system :) .

I understand the potential for wind lift. But, the requirement for digging a 7' hole and concreting in a ground pole mount (or multiple poles) just seems way overkill for where I live. Even when the occasional hurricane hits us, the wind speeds have never been more than 70mph gusts. (My neighbor has 3 panels just leaning against the side of his house for the last 15 years) Thinking between the weight of the trailer and screwing in some ground screws to hold it down should be fine for 6-8 panels...
I like this idea of avoiding permits and such, but if you don't already have a suitable trailer it could be more than the permits. Still like the idea for mobility though. And it would be neat to have an EV with it's own "solar generator" in tow.

Back