diy solar

diy solar

Solar grounding - thoughts?

dm6156

I am in the process of moving my single solar panel from the ground (RV style adjustable mount) to a pole. I've had the panel (single 100w) connected to 2x100AH agm batteries in my shed to power motion activated light above door and led shop light inside both running off small inverter. I've decided to add second 100w panel (same make/model) to the setup. I'm going to mount both panels on the same pole (steel) using single panel mounts and have each in a slightly different orientation to get the most sun light year round (array is near woodline and gets sun from south to west).

Here's where I'd like input from those with more experience. I plan on running a single ground for the steel pole (set in concrete) and one ground from the 2 panels / mounts). Would it be acceptable to run ground on the steel pole from the bottom closer to the ground into a grounding rod vs near the top of the pole? Thought process is that the top is capped with plastic/rubber cap (couldn't find pvc that was not to large) and if hit by lightning, the steel pole would be more likely used as conductor vs smaller coppper wire.

Then run another ground wire from both panels and both mounts to another grounding rod separate from the grounding rod on the pole.

Do l even need to ground the steel pole?

The mounts are both aluminum except the u bolt holding the mount to the pole.

Any suggestions on where to mount the ground to the panels and mounts? Anywhere or just near the pole?

I'll be using 4 or 6 gauge stranded copper. Should i use solid instead?

Thanks Dan

Lighting protection is a completely different system.
Installed separately from the equipment you want to protect.

Electrical Equipment grounding is what you connect to the panel frames and supports.
This must run back to the rest of the grounding system. Where all of your equipment and loads panel are.
A ground rod at the array is called an auxiliary electrode. While they are allowed, they are not required. (Or recommended)

Lighting protection is a completely different system.
Installed separately from the equipment you want to protect.

Electrical Equipment grounding is what you connect to the panel frames and supports.
This must run back to the rest of the grounding system. Where all of your equipment and loads panel are.
A ground rod at the array is called an auxiliary electrode. While they are allowed, they are not required. (Or recommended)
My system consists of the following:

1 existing + 1 to be installed 100w panel.
An mppt controller
2x 100AH batteries
1 300w power inverter (2x110v outlets)
1 motion activated 110v light (outside above shed door)
1 led 4' shop light (inside shed)
Soon to be added 12v lights (around patio/firepit).

The panels will be home side of creek
Shed opposite side of creek has everything else
Patio/firepit home side of creek.
Shed side is wooded, home side is not.
Wire from panels to shed will be aerial to cross creek and 8' high to drive subcompact tractor under. Panels to be mounted near fence which is 7' from back of patio/fire pit area.
Aerial wires will be away from patio/firepit.

What needs grounded?

Dan

My system consists of the following:

1 existing + 1 to be installed 100w panel.
An mppt controller
2x 100AH batteries
1 300w power inverter (2x110v outlets)
1 motion activated 110v light (outside above shed door)
1 led 4' shop light (inside shed)
Soon to be added 12v lights (around patio/firepit).

The panels will be home side of creek
Shed opposite side of creek has everything else
Patio/firepit home side of creek.
Shed side is wooded, home side is not.
Wire from panels to shed will be aerial to cross creek and 8' high to drive subcompact tractor under. Panels to be mounted near fence which is 7' from back of patio/fire pit area.
Aerial wires will be away from patio/firepit.

What needs grounded?

Dan
Nothing needs to be done. It's a portable size inverter.

Back