diy solar

diy solar

Solar "Hump" for aerodynamics for Class A RV

This topic has prompted me to consider reducing the frontal area of the solar on my van.
aero.jpg

I can hang the unistrut under the crossbar. Then move the panel forward up against the crossbar.

The result should be about 1/2 the current frontal area.

Comments?

lol :p

you know that aero on a Brick of the Size of my RV makes a huge difference? When you go from 8 mpg to 10 or 11 mpg , that really has daily application impacts. First - my fuel Tank is 40 Gallon, that is a fixed value. When I add one MPG - that's 40 miles of more driving on the same tank.

First: The range on RVs is terrible and fuel stops really hold you up. Further, the gas station network is already bad in many parts of country and will get worse as electrification gets more popular, many back country roads Gas stations have already closed - and more to follow. So I'm slowly getting the the point of range anxiety with a gasoline power vehicle.

8 mpg29.4 l/100km
9 mpg26.1 l/100km
10 mpg23.5 l/100km
11 mpg21.4 l/100km

Second:
at this point it didn't cost me any more. Needed to elevate the Panels anyhow to clear the vent - so I just going to try it. Just didn't want to create a hazard.

I've got about half a year of fuel data on the RV without the panels mounted - now I can compare and see if it's better, same or worse.

My Thesis is that at least I'm not creating any significant more drag, with a small glimmer of hope to lift the air above the aerodynamic dirty roof with all the random items up there and reduce it.
That video is a watermelon to cumquats' comparison; that dog don't hunt. You're driving your brick, not towing it, big difference. I drive a brick too. If I can save a tenth of a gallon, I'm all in, and I don't care what any uppity mofo says. I'm with you bro! :cool:

This topic has prompted me to consider reducing the frontal area of the solar on my van.
View attachment 78881

I can hang the unistrut under the crossbar. Then move the panel forward up against the crossbar.

Comments?
A little sheet metal to round things off would help. Look at modern cross country big rigs for inspiration.

If anything the sharp edges they present are probably going to increase your effective coefficient of drag rather than lower it (sharp edges like that are bad aero news)
I'm going to cover the sharp edges with some flashing so that it will be much smoother.
I have enough understanding to know the value of aerodynamics. I ran an aerodynamics testing business. Not for larger vehicles but human powered vehicles. Worked on multiple successful world records. Eeking out every last aero drop matters a lot. I get that.

Do you got access to testing equipment or simulation software?

Like I started of earlier - I read a bunch of studies and I'm start seeing more and more RVs and Busses on the road (selective perception bias) - with a Hump at the front in their design. I also learned that a large part of the equation - I can not really change - that's the frontal area.
And that most of the drag actually comes from the rear - most buses have 25-35% of the drag from the low pressure at the rear.

The roof of an RV is an aerodynamic nightmare, tons of items in various shapes sticking out a nice flat surface. Maybe this help, maybe it doesn't.

I'm adding about 100lbs in solar panels - if I can stay within a margin of error and not make the aerodynamic worse - that would be a good success.
View attachment 78881

Comments?
that should be a easy enough modification. Should be as stable or even better then before. I would try it.

I have enough understanding to know the value of aerodynamics. I ran an aerodynamics testing business. Not for larger vehicles but human powered vehicles. Worked on multiple successful world records. Eeking out every last aero drop matters a lot. I get that.

I love your enthusiasm but frankly, your panels are going to make 2/5th of SFA difference.

If anything the sharp edges they present are probably going to increase your effective coefficient of drag rather than lower it (sharp edges like that are bad aero news) but either way the difference will likely be so small as to not be measurable within the precision of fuel consumption figures. At least not in any controlled manner such that you can make verifiable claims, especially considering the multitude of uncontrollable factors which influence such outcomes. IOW it will be lost in the noise.

You might after a while find your fuel economy improves because of a natural bias with your testing, IOW the very fact you have put them up there consciously or subconsciously results in you making changes to your driving habits. Or the changing engine state of tune, tyre wear, type and pressures, suspension, even seasonal and year to year variations in weather will confound any such assessment. And this assumes the driving locations and conditions net out to be the same.

If you want to save fuel while driving a vehicle of that size, weight and shape, find ways to (safely) lose some vehicle weight (this mostly helps on the inclines) and reduce your driving speed (helps everywhere for fuel economy). Also ensure tyre pressures are appropriate and consider the type of tyres you use and make sure they are aligned correctly and your suspension is in good order. Having a well tuned engine of course, clean air, oil and fuel filters, cooling system working as it should, not operating unnecessary devices to place additional drain on the alternator.

I think the biggest benefit of the panels on your fuel economy will be their utility in charging batteries for a tyre pressure inflation device to check your tyres at least weekly to make sure your rolling resistance remains optimal and your vehicle is as safe as it can be:
Are you always this condescending? The only helpful suggestion you had was proper tire inflation and type; look how much time you would have saved and come across more friendly. :cool:

IOW the very fact you have put them up there consciously or subconsciously results in you making changes to your driving habits. Or the changing engine state of tune, tyre wear, type and pressures, suspension, even seasonal and year to year variations in weather will confound any such assessment. And this assumes the driving locations and conditions net out to be the same.
I work in Data Analysis and I'm aware of the various bias and measurements errors you can introduce into a data set.
That's why I will not jump to conclusions after the first good tank, which was probably all downhill with tailwind :p

IOW it will be lost in the noise.
This is a prototype and I want to see if I get a clear enough signal so that it warrants further investigation.

If not I still learned something.

That video is a watermelon to cumquats' comparison;
I didn't post it for a comparison, it just reminded me of an entertaining video.

Are you always this condescending?
No, but with help I can lift my game. ;)

I work in Data Analysis and I'm aware of the various bias and measurements errors you can introduce into a data set.
Cool. Good luck with it.

Do you got access to testing equipment or simulation software?
Not any more. I'm retired from that business. It was fun though and playing with aero analysis is a good learning. Much of it is counterintuitive.

One thing I noticed in the video is… tractor trailers do NOT focus their aerodynamics on the front of the vehicle… the tractor manufacturers do… cause they don’t make the trailers… but TRAILER manufacturers DO sell aileron flaps that can be folded out to reduce drag… and I’m guessing they help… because I see a LOT of long haul truckers using them.

And I also noticed in the video the tractor aero includes a large hump to match the trailer roofline…

One thing I noticed in the video is… tractor trailers do NOT focus their aerodynamics on the front of the vehicle… the tractor manufacturers do… cause they don’t make the trailers… but TRAILER manufacturers DO sell aileron flaps that can be folded out to reduce drag… and I’m guessing they help… because I see a LOT of long haul truckers using them.

And I also noticed in the video the tractor aero includes a large hump to match the trailer roofline…
Well said, sir! Those boys out there on the highway hauling goods have to squeeze the squeal out of every ounce of fuel to stay profitable. These big trucking companies are serious about limiting drag, taking care of tires, and limiting idle time. Most trucks nowadays have small diesel generators, batteries, and solar panels for the drivers when parked at truck stops for the night, whenever that might be on a 16x8 hour shift. I tried driving for a while when I got out of the oilfields; it's brutal, but if you're willing to go for the miles, you can make 75 to 100k. I left the darn oilfields for the same reason, too many hours working and not enough me time. :cool:

Comments?
This is essentially my concept for attaching as much solar power as practical to the top of a minivan. Sadly, I am not an aerodynamicist, but, I hope that making the bottom of the solar panel array clear the (so far smooth) top of the minivan by 2-3 inches and smoothing it with a cover which creates a plenum above the cover and below the panels, which I might have to drive with fans in some configurations, to keep the panels cool, but hopefully not most (the concept is a tilting array which is only locked down flat when the vehicle is soon to be, is, or just was, in motion) and round edges, except, I guess the trailing edge, will create acceptably low drag.

Last edited:
Those boys out there on the highway hauling goods have to squeeze the squeal out of every ounce of fuel to stay profitable. These big trucking companies are serious about limiting drag
A point made in the video, and they do it by proper consultation and testing with aerodynamicists using all relevant tools at their disposal, be it CFD, model testing and full scale low speed wind tunnel testing.

you know that aero on a Brick of the Size of my RV makes a huge difference? When you go from 8 mpg to 10 or 11 mpg
Just coming back to the home brew physics in play here, to see a reduction in energy consumption from 8mpg to 9mpg at same speeds is going to require a ~15% reduction in the coefficient of drag (give or take). I could probably narrow that down a bit better with some better numbers on frontal area and likely rolling resistance of the vehicle but it won't be horribly (e.g. an order of magnitude) out.

Achieving that is going to take a lot more than adding and angling a couple of solar panels. We're talking some significant shape changes, perhaps some NACA inspired fairings. The humps on modern truck/bus designs are seeking out improvements an order of magnitude less than that.

It makes sense to seek ways to reduce the drag of added panels but it's a long bow to draw to expect overall aero improvements to the vehicle.

It's a while since I had a look at through it, but this now slightly older (2010) study makes for interesting reading on some of the earlier developments in this area:

Technologies and Approaches to Reducing the Fuel Consumption of Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicles
Intro and contents:

Chapter 5 in particular (can view here for free):

It makes sense to seek ways to reduce the drag of added panels but it's a long bow to draw to expect overall aero improvements to the vehicle.
Offset is the primary goal, if it helps the overall aero - would be cool.

Great study, I just skimmed it and saw the chapter of flatbed trucks. Flatbeds are almost non-existent in Europe anymore. The all have those tarp style boxes on them. So someone read it and applied it. Europe's trucks and Buses are due to 3x fuel prices are usually far ahead from anybody else in trying out fuel efficient technology.

I also wanted to add a Airdam / Aerobumper in the Front of the RV. But first I want to complete the data collection for the Solar Hump. That would be too big of a variable.

difference will likely be so small as to not be measurable within the precision of fuel consumption figures.
sell aileron flaps that can be folded out to reduce drag… and I’m guessing they help… because I see a LOT of long haul truckers using them.
The higher the length to width ratio is with any object moving through a fluid the less resistance it has to moving through that fluid so that makes sense.

Adding things that increase frontal area will almost always increase drag. You can reduce that added drag by shaping your addition. The best way to reduce drag is to hide your extras behind the primary frontal area if you can. The idea of a "hump" is good since the air has to move up and over the cab in the first place. Keeping it low to the surface will improve the results.

If you want to open your own personal can of worms and solve your aero problems, try OpenFoam. It seems quite capable, but I understand that the learning curve is pretty steep.

You will want to model low Reynolds number compressible flow with ground effects. Please post your results here!

Exactly that's what I'm worried about. Which is the more critical side? trailing or leading?
Give this a think.

Suppose you install an 82" wide wedge with the leading edge having a zero height forward. Now, extend the length of the back facing edge towards the back at a rise of 2" per 40".

If that is a zero height leading edge, then does if follow that the trailing height can be ignored? At what point do the edges matter?

I also wanted to add a Airdam / Aerobumper in the Front of the RV.
I don't know much about your specific vehicle but I guess I'd want to be sure any such additions are not going to adversely affect the engine cooling system.

Speaking of "fun" videos, I used to use this old MIT video (early 1960s) during an intro to aero workshop primer to show just how much shape matters. It's just a snip from a longer video and one of a whole series.

LoL, good video, brings back memories. I started my freshman year in mechanical engineering in 1968. I still have mine and my fathers' Post-Versa Log slide rules. Before WWII broke out, he began engineering school and served 2-years in the Army Air Corps, now the USAF; he was a fighter pilot. He finished engineering school on the GI Bill after the war. It took me 6-years, but I made it. White shirts, black slacks, crew-cut hair, and pocket protectors wearing big black glasses with our "slap-sticks" swing from a loop on our belt. The good old days.

Back