Solar "Hump" for aerodynamics for Class A RV

Bobert

Solar Addict
very impressive install. pretty nice integration, I like the tent shape of the panels. You should share that somewhere in Show and Tell.

you could try posting a picture directly from the side like perfectly parallel to the RV. Some of the Simulation Wizards here could create a black and gray model and run it through the fluid dynamic flow simulation and try various tweaks.
I got a tent shape naturally by following the contour of the roof with my brackets. The tent shape dramatically increases the rigidity of the structure. It’s not obvious from my other pictures but I have a 14” cat walk on the driver’s side of the panels. This is convenient for sweeping off the slide outs and cleaning the panels. It’s also worth mentioning that this trailer is high off the ground and I put the tallest tires that I could on it so the frame is a full 2 feet off the ground. This might make a difference for wind resistance. One must also consider that since it is towed how the wind hits the trailer will be affected by the dynamics of the tow vehicle. I can’t get a straight on side view of the camper right now as we are parked in the trees and I can’t get a unobstructed view straight on.. from were the airfoil attaches to the front panels to the back of the trailer is 32.5 feet. There is a space where 2 panels are missing immediately after the first 2 panels because of the roof ac. My thought is to remove the roof ac and install a mini split and 2 more panels in that gap. While I am dreaming my ideal setup would be 12 of these https://a1solarstore.com/solaria-400w-solar-panel-mc-4-powerxt-400r-pm.html?msclkid=a7a6002f77611db1196562ace98e30f3&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=First bing feed&utm_term=4586612758817463&utm_content=BingAdGroup that would cover the entire roof and give me 4800 watts up there.

Attachments

• C5DB65FB-5AC8-4E98-B2DB-21F900B80CB1.jpeg
    C5DB65FB-5AC8-4E98-B2DB-21F900B80CB1.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 84C66079-D69E-449A-BD2E-4382530B20EB.jpeg
    84C66079-D69E-449A-BD2E-4382530B20EB.jpeg
    914.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 034C999A-CB51-47CA-9A83-C7D7A9EE0300.jpeg
    034C999A-CB51-47CA-9A83-C7D7A9EE0300.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

eXodus

Solar Addict
One must also consider that since it is towed how the wind hits the trailer will be affected by the dynamics of the tow vehicle
True,
When I was digging in this topic, I realized how bad pickups without a topper are for towing regular trailers - pretty good for 5th wheels.

I mean - my pickup has the same 5.7L Engine as my 24FT RV - and with the Aero tweak while towing a trailer - the pickup is only 1 mpg better then the RV.
To emphasize that - a 6000 lbs pickup with bad aero needs almost the same fuel as an 11000lbs RV with slightly optimized Aero, while towing.

I put the tallest tires that I could on it so the frame is a full 2 feet off the ground.
not sure why you would do that? Bad roads where you are? That would likely kill most other gains you can make on aero. The less air you got underneath the vehicle the better. I'm going to add a front Air dam to prevent high pressure air getting sucked under the RV.

Bobert

Solar Addict
not sure why you would do that? Bad roads where you are? That would likely kill most other gains you can make on aero. The less air you got underneath the vehicle the better. I'm going to add a front Air dam to prevent high pressure air getting sucked under the RV.
I live in a very rural area of the north east US.
A 38’ travel trailer is constantly catching the rear of the frame if It’s not good and high off the ground. It also gives me a bit more flexibility in getting level at poor camp sites. Larger tires make it easier to get a better load rating. It also makes it much easier to work under the camper. I have done extensive work on the underside of the camper and still have some more to do yet so that is very handy as well.

Weru12

You could try adding a leading edge with Airtabs (or similar) aerodynamic vortex spoilers to break up the air flow so that you don't create low pressure areas.
Airtabs