diy solar

diy solar

Solar newbie with questions

Danel

Hello! I'll be having a 15k solar system with the 12k Deye hybrid inverter (link to manual) installed shortly, however I have some questions I haven't been able to find satisfactory answers for.
For background purposes, my property has a 3-phase grid connection limited to 16 amps per phase. The local electrity prices come from the Nord Pool electricity market (Eastern Europe), so they're different every hour and can vary wildly during the day.
I'll probably be adding batteries to the system some time in the fall, but I'm not quite set on whether to get rack units / stackable units or a DIY solution, since I'm somewhat limited on space for those (1,3*0,6*0,8m space for them). I'd like to get at least 30kWh of storage, that should cover the peak pricing hours during the winter and will allow me to fully charge the second car during the night in the summer while providing enough energy for the whole house.

1. Do I need a smart meter with the inverter? The manual lists support for it, but it doesn't say what it will be used for. The inverter has current transformers included, so those should do the necessary monitoring, no? I have a smart meter at the property line by the local electric grid provider for keeping tabs on the energy used, but I can't connect my inverter to it. It also prevents sending any energy back to the grid in case the grid goes down. Also, am I understanding correctly that any energy meter with Modbus should be able to work with the inverter?

2. The inverter has a maximum continuous AC passthrough of 45 amps, is that per phase or total? Assuming I'm charging my EV at 11kw and then turn on a stove or some other energy-intense appliance, the inverter should take the extra needed energy from the grid, correct? How about if I have batteries as well, is the inverters maximum AC output limit for both solar and batteries combined or are those separate? (I'm guessing combined, but just looking for confirmation)

3. Assuming I'd want to use the Wallbox Pulsar Plus EV charger with energy monitoring, I'd need to use one of their supported smart meters (CG EM340 or Inepro PRO380 / CT). As I understand, Modbus supports multiple devices. However, would I need a server device if I'd want both the charger and inverter to communicate with the smart meter? Or can they connect and operate without much trouble by just connecting the necessary wiring?

4. I rarely see CALB or SinoPoly 400Ah / 500Ah cells used for batteries, is it due to the extra weight? I know decent cells are at that size are a bit more expensive per kWh, but taking the whole system cost into account (BMS, wiring, case), the costs are quite similar for me and those bigger cells might just be easier to fit.

Thanks!

Back