diy solar

diy solar

Solar noob questions on build for rv 120watt bouge rv panels

From my understanding going from a 12 volt system to a 48 volt system just means I can use the controller I want to charge the batteries up to 2400 watts instead of 600 watts at 12 volts. But I guess I didn’t think about how many amps of juice I’d really be charging to those batteries haha…so if I potentially wanted to do 2400 watts that would be 50 amps of juice going to the batteries and idk how that affects battery charging distribution?? So if you want to charge your 4 batteries at 5 amps a batteries should you shoot for 20 amps of juice total? Then if you went 8 batteries it would be 40 amps total at 5 amps a battery??

Damn 600watts/12=50 amps and 2400watts/48volts=50 amps

Maybe I don’t need to do 48 volt system? ??confused haha

Actually nvm I read your stuff twice I do need a 48 volt system
I want to run 15 amp steady so I can run my behringer europower ep2500 on 4-18” woofers and my crown amp on another 10 amp but realistically they only pull about 10-15 amp altogether…. Would be bad ass to run a system on battery but I wouldn’t trust it ? I do need some juice though enough for a washing machine and tv with a ps4 and whatnot… maybe a bunch of lights and im going to need some juice… might even get a little generator kit for a bicycle and make the old lady charge the batteries while she’s working out ?

Alright I found a inverter for the system on Amazon it’s $420 that brings the budget up to $990 for a solar system that has potential for upgrading in the future. With 4 120watt panels I could be at like 400 watts so I guess that means I could possibly get up to 16-24more 120 watt panels

WZRELB 3000W 48V 120V Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter Remote Control with 2 AC Outlets,Car Inverter​

I’m going to wait a month or two before I decide to buy anything I’m learning too much as it is to make a decision yet

Might need to save up for better deals on bigger panels and figure out what the string voltage thing the first dude told me to save meant. It still confuses me… so does adding panels in series double the charging voltage? So if it charges at 18 volts and you add two panels together you are at 36 volts and you can go all the way up to the max of like 150 volts for your controller but then there’s some crazy voodoo with the cold weather upping your voltage so you have to factor that shit in… so I’m guessing I’m missing something… might be wrong in thinking 16 panels are possible if they are limited to some kind of series voltage..I might have to try bigger panels in order to achieve the watts I need at the charging voltage or whatever that is needed

Alright 48 volts is better because you don’t have to use crazy huge wiring to step up the watts. For example 2400 watts at 12 volts is 200 amps and 2400 at 48 volts is 50 amps

I’m going to wait a month or two before I decide to buy anything I’m learning too much as it is to make a decision yet
That’s smart
With 4 120watt panels I could be at like 400 watts so I guess that means I could possibly get up to 16-24more 120 watt panels
the inverter has to do with your usage- the output of 120V from the inverter.

How many panels you need is a factor of your consumption in kWh- you have to make enough kilowatt hours to handle daytime consumption PLUS enough to recharge batteries in 5-7 hours.
The limiting factor or the deciding factor on panels has nothing to do with the inverter- the charge controller is the deciding factor.

So you buy a solar charge controller- SCC - that is sufficient to provide the charging parameters required to handle the panels’ wattage, VOC, and array amperage.

You are approaching this a bit uninformed which is why waiting before punching the order button is smart.
figure out what the string voltage thing the first dude told me…meant
Yup
does adding panels in series double the charging voltage
No, it sums the VOC voltage (well Imp but ignore that for now) in the string. If you have one panel and series a second it doubles, but if you series four panels it will be four times the voltage. Five in series would be five times the voltage.
So if it charges at 18 volts and you add two panels together you are at 36 volts and you can go all the way up to the max of like 150 volts for your controller but then there’s some crazy voodoo with the cold weather upping your voltage so you have to factor that shit in… so I’m guessing I’m missing something…
Ya, that’s the stuff to read up on. There’s easy calculators online for temperature factoring.
might be wrong in thinking 16 panels are possible if they are limited to some kind of series voltage..
There’s ways of arranging the panels with series strings in parallel that will work, as well as higher voltage SCCs

You’re discovering the unknown which raises questions. With questions there’s answers, with answers knowledge and knowledge begets understanding.

Lol just looked at the generator and it’s a Onan 3.6kw propane generator that does 2.2 lbs propane at half load and 3.3 lbs propane at full load. I don’t buy propane but I feel like it’s only like 3-$4 a gallon and there’s 4.25 lbs in a gallon so it’s looking like it’ll only cost me like $2.50 to $10.00 a day depending how long we’ll shower… At least it’s a temporary solution and it’ll give me time to figure out how much space I really have to support panels

You'd be better off heating your water with the propane than than converting it to electricity first. You'll probably use double or more fuel with the generator to heat water electrically.

Tankless propane water heater

I'm not recommending that particular unit, I included it as an example of what's available.

I was already thinking that… I ripped the desk out of the garage and it had a dinky little tank… might be time to remove it and the shower plugins look easy asf

I’m thinking solar will be badass to run the easy wattage stuff then I can run the generator for the harder stuff. Might find a way to fit my washing machine into the thing

7B38C087-5F43-4110-AF09-7A806721A48A.png7B38C087-5F43-4110-AF09-7A806721A48A.png

Hopefully this little wen can handle giving me showers lol…. I have other pumps but I ran growing nutrients through them so I don’t imagine it would be too healthy to use to shower with. Thinking I’ll just buy a garbage can and create a outdoor freshwater tank for showers. Guess I shouldn’t have any trouble boondocking on my family’s 200 acres on the river bar but there legit is no power water or septic. My moms bf told me it’s extremely easy to build a septic so maybe I pick up a shovel and start digging lol. I move out of my house into the wilderness tonight?Also have to bring like 6 Adult cats 10 kittens, 2 presa canarios and 1 border collie Australian shepherd… I was worried about moving somewhere else with my animals so my fiancé and I decided to rough it instead of being dumb and buying a house or renting…. Legit paid like 22000 after all taxes/licensing and won’t have to pay rent or anything besides gas for the generator and food for the animals…. I think we made the right decision. Not worried about getting robbed that’s why I have the dogs and not worried about mice or rats hahaha

One large cost on solar panels is the hardware & stuff needed to attach them. Each panel costs about the same to attach. So by going with larger panels - it’s cheaper than going with smaller panels.

Just for prospective- I full-time in a class A MotorHome.
I have a residential fridge, lights, Starlink, 2compters running all day, etc. Water heater is propane. Heater is propane with electric fans. Air Conditioner is grid/generator.

I have a 540ah 12v lithium battery and 1200 watts of solar on the Rv (six 200watt watt panels - four go into a Victron SmartSolar 100/50 and two into a SmartSolar 100/30).

For the inverter I have a Multiplus 3000. This runs all the 120v stuff, fridge computer, microwave/convection oven, toaster, cooking stuff, hair dryer, etc. We can only run one large item at a time.

All together the solar & batteries covers our electric needs. On a sunny day- the batteries are recharged by about 2 or 3 pm. If one cloudy day or shady day - let it ride - if two - run the generator for an hour or two.

Look locally for larger solar panels 200w if attaching to the roof of your RV. 330w+ if attaching to a ground mount permanent setup.

One of the most important items in my system is my Victron Smartshunt or BMV712. This is a battery monitor- let’s me know exactly how much power the batteries have in them.

A poorly planed system will cost a lot more than a well- planned system- because you only buy things once and they are the right size.

Good luck

Also for solar planets check Home Depot - I remember people saying they run sales on 200 watt panels for like $160 sometimes.

other pumps but I ran growing nutrients through them so I don’t imagine it would be too healthy to use to shower with.
The plastic in trash cans is probably worse?!

You need to bleach the stored water to stop algae and mushrooms btw
I use this for volume:
(Bleach containing 5.25% Sodium Hypochlorite)

This will initially produce ~ 5 ppm chlorine

1 Quart water, 2 drops bleach

1 Gallon water, 8 drops bleach

5 Gallons water, 1/2 teaspoon bleach

10 Gallons water, 3/4 teaspoon bleach

50 Gallons water, 4 teaspoons bleach

6 teaspoons = 0.125 cup

Garbage can will only be like 50 gallons and the plastic is rated good… it’s the hoses that you have to be worried about. Don’t want to leave them in the sun and leach bpa. I’m pretty sure some cans don’t leach bpa but I don’t imagine I’ll be drinking the shower water lol… yeah I’m definitely looking into building a system your size rocketman; it’ll be soon

Garbage can will only be like 50 gallons and the plastic is rated good… it’s the hoses that you have to be worried about.
Lined dual-wall hoses- no leach.

The food grade 1000 liter metal-frame palleted “totes” are good. I have one on a little trailer. ~175 gallons maxes it out.

I used one for years. I should be using it this year but I’m driving by one of three nearby springs on my way home all the time and I’m still doing 15gal at a time.

Back