diy solar

diy solar

"Solar on the side" question for a noob...

LivingTheDream

Hello Everyone,

I purchased four 405w Jinko panels from San Tan Solar last week as well as a MPP LV2424 Hybrid. I am working on designing the rack system and waiting for some cells from Michael Caro, but in the mean time, was wondering if I could utilize this port on the side of my RV with one or two of the panels. The wiring is not hooked up currently and appears to have a 20A fuse inline. I'm just trying to keep my battery topped off while the sun is out. I'm having issues with the fridge not staying cool because the inverter that came with the RV shuts off once the battery drops below 12v. My batteries seem to hover around 10v even if I'm gone all day, when I wake up in the morning, essentially anytime within an hour or so of shutting off my generator.

So any input on the "Solar on the Side" and/or what the heck is going on with my batteries, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Brian

Well for one, 10 volts on a 12V battery is not good (no matter the battery type).

Sounds like you need new batteries for starters.

You need a charge controller to connect the panels to the battery.

Well for one, 10 volts on a 12V battery is not good (no matter the battery type).

Sounds like you need new batteries for starters.

You need a charge controller to connect the panels to the battery.
Thank you, that’s kinda what I was thinking. I swapped out the Transfer Switch and the Converter that Heartland sent me to make everyone (but my back) happy that we’re narrowing things down. I ran the generator for 1 hour and set the timer. I went from 12.6v to 10.5v in < 3 minutes. This is why I can’t run my fridge. I’ll run to town and rest these batteries tomorrow.

Well this post didn’t get much response. However, I wanted to respond in case anyone happens along it in the future…

I had the batteries tested and they were both bad. Yes, shocker, I know. I installed the new ones and things definitely seem to be running as they should now. I’m a couple hours after the install and they are still at 12.1v with the fridge inverter on as well as some lights. Such a relief.

Now I can breathe easier and focus on the solar install. Man, I feel like I’m back in school. Lol!
Thanks to @beavo451 for their response above!

Back