diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel and Charge Controller

Binary_Ben

Howdy,

I have a lot of trees in my backyard, so I am just trying to see if solar panels would work. I bought some small and cheap solar panels and a charge controller on amazon. This is the Solar Panel https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TYH68Z/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AQZK7OFES951D&psc=1. This is the Charge controller https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G1PL1B9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1. I also got a Bluetooth module to interface with the charge controller. I, however, was wondering if I need to connect a battery to see the power production. I don't want to buy a battery. I have had bad experiences with lead acid and lithium batteries. Since this is just a test to see if solar panels would be a viable option, I don't need to use the energy produced from the solar. I don't want to spend an extra 100 dollars on something I will not use again and have to take to a special place to dispose of.

You need a battery. The SCC wants to be connected to a battery before connecting the panels to it. Depending on your load, you probably need a battery anyway to smooth the solar production to be useful.

Not sure what you are trying to do. Those panels are 2.5w each polycrystalline low grade modules rated at 5v. I would bet my life they won't even approach those numbers (see reviews.)

Even if you put the two in series you would have theoretically 5w at 10v but really it will be less. Then you bought a 12v 30amp (360 watt) PWM controller - 12v*30a = 360 watts IF you had 360 watts of PV input. You have about 1% of the rated 360w.

But its worse than that. You will not get 1%, you will get 0% because with your 5w 10v of PV you are not even above fully discharged voltage of a nominal 12v battery so those panels will never cause this PWM controller to do anything to a 12v battery.

So if you want to "play" with the panels get a tiny 5v buck module and try to make 5vdc USB to charge your phone battery like in the Amazon photos.

If you want to play with that PWM controller you are going to need A LOT more PV panels and a 12v battery. (go to a battery warehouse type store and ask to buy a half decent scrap battery for peanuts or ask on facebook or craigslist and I'm sure someone will give you a tired battery they have laying around.)

Back