diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel/battery for power outages, including lengthy grid failures?

Vigilant

Greetings.

At this point I know very little about solar power. I would not be confident putting different components together; I prefer to buy something pretty much self-contained, that's plug and play. My budget is $500 max. I realize that won't buy much. Hoping to power a water cooler (20 watts?), just a plain 5-gallon model, one full-sized floor fan, one LED alarm clock, one light drawing 14 amps or less, and my desk top computer with the printer unplugged. I would like to be able to run all these appliances for 18 hours between charging if I had to, although I realize it will take time for recharging. Here is what I have tentatively settled upon, and I would appreciate any input or suggestions you can offer. If I'm just barking up the wrong tree, that's something I would appreciate knowing.

Renogy 100 watt 12 volt solar panel and 20A charger, max 500 watt hours per day. $199 at Wal Mart.

Westinghouse iGen300s portable power station 600 peak, 300 rated watts, 296 watt hours. $219 on Amazon.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The good news, you came to the right forum to learn about solar.
The bad news, $500 is not going to cut it and neither will either of the systems you picked out.
The best place to start is a energy audit to determine exactly how my power you will need each day.
I am sure someone will chime in with a link.

I already have a Champion 3500/4000 watt generator and also a Champion 1850/2500 watt inverter. But I can only keep so much gas. I am trying to find something solar powered to limp along with indefinitely in case of a major, long-term outage and some hard times. I could do without the computer, and just log on with my phone now and then. All I would really need is one floor fan and an 8 or 9 watt light. Could I make it work like that? I thank you both for your input.

Looks like a typical floor fan would require about 100 watts. Would I stand a chance using that system to run about 120 watts total?

Looks like a typical floor fan would require about 100 watts. Would I stand a chance using that system to run about 120 watts total?
Plan and simple, NO.
Let us help you:
1. List the items you would Like to run.
2. List the amp rating on the label of that item
3. Tell us how many hours a day you would Like to run them.
That will be a good start point for discussion.

Hoping to power a water cooler (20 watts?), just a plain 5-gallon model, one full-sized floor fan, one LED alarm clock, one light drawing 14 amps or less, and my desk top computer with the printer unplugged.
Most folks have a refrigerator near the top of their list. Perhaps a cell phone too.

A 14 amp light? 14a x 120v = 1680w

I am so sorry. I meant to say, watts. Found a label on the bottom of one of the two. Shows 1.1 amps. Not worried about the fridge. All I am really concerned about is having one floor fan. Could rely on a flashlight if need be.

Back