diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel clamps for P1001A unistrut ground mount?

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
I have seen clamps for solar panels that attach to the panels and then slide into the unistrut channel, and I'm wondering if anybody can recommend something similar for fashioning our solar panels onto P1001A unistrut. The intent is to have the P1001A mount through the center of the solar panel, just one strut, since they are bifacial. Thinking two clamps that bolt into four holes total for each panel to secure the panel to the strut.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. I need to buy 98 clamps for our project...

Mount_clamps.pngmount_with_strut.jpg

I can't find any ready made clamps to do what I want so I think I'm just going to get aluminum bars and drill them. Not sure how much I should have these panels joined with the joiners I'll fabricate though. Thinking one inch thick aluminum but I don't know if I should have it join the panels with longer joiners or short joiners. Each panel is 48.5 pounds.

Long Joiner:
Long Joiner.jpg
Or short joiner?
Short Joiner.jpg
Either way the joiners will be mounted to the strut with two bolts in the center. Not sure if I should go with longer joiners for more stability or save money using shorter joiners.

I think I will go with .25" thick aluminum instead and go with the shorter joiner.

Last edited:
I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what your plan is. Maybe the plan is sufficiently crazy that I can't get a handle on it? A single support on a panel? I don't think that's going to work.

If it was my install, I would find a way to use clamps on each end, not in the middle. I would run strut horizontally and the panels in the same orientation (landscape) with at least four clamps per panel.

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what your plan is. Maybe the plan is sufficiently crazy that I can't get a handle on it? A single support on a panel? I don't think that's going to work.

If it was my install, I would find a way to use clamps on each end, not in the middle. I would run strut horizontally and the panels in the same orientation (landscape) with at least four clamps per panel.
Why do you think it's such a "crazy" idea @HRTKD ? It appears that is a mounting strategy from the installer's installation guide as I read it. Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly?

single_mount.jpg

I've seen several videos and images of bifacial panels mounted similarly. This is one example.

single_mount2.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe the frames on bifacial panels are stronger than regular solar panels? That seems like a lot of stress on the center part of the frame.

That diagram does indicate that the panels aren't capable of handling as much load when bolted from the middle, as opposed to being clamped closer to, or at, the ends.

Maybe the frames on bifacial panels are stronger than regular solar panels? That seems like a lot of stress on the center part of the frame.

That diagram does indicate that the panels aren't capable of handling as much load when bolted from the middle, as opposed to being clamped closer to, or at, the ends.
I think bifacial panels likely are stronger, but I'm not sure. These ones are 22kg a piece and from what I understand they're very solid.

I see that load number 1600/1600. Our only load will be the weight of the panel and wind. We'll keep them vertical during snow season.

I don't care to do the math, but a P1001A isn't going to give you that much torsional or deflection strength if it is only supported and restrained at the ends. You would likely be better off with a 4" pipe. The vertical connection needs a solid connection to the horizontal as well; welding might be better than bolting.

I have 20.6kw or 1115 sq ft of QCells. I uses 48 4x4 pt wood posts, 34 unistrut, 3/8" x 2.5" ss bolts and large area ss fender washers bent into "Bellville" washers, then doubled up. You'll need sq alum channel where there is not a panel on both sides for bolt to clamp too.

The bracket they use in the photo looks like it is exponentially stiffer than the flat bar stock idea you have.

Years of over flexing leads to the the cells developing microcracks thus shortening their life.

Perhaps you could replace the bar stock with aluminum angle? That would be much stiffer.

Here's some pre-punched angle in 5' pieces for $5 each. (sounds cheap) https://www.bigdockanddoor.com/punched-angle-p/angle.htm

From my experience I will cordially offer that you're going end up trading a lot of labor for not much savings if any material cost and end up with no warranty on your racking vs. buying premade racking engineered for your module and location.

1648208168188.png

I don't care to do the math, but a P1001A isn't going to give you that much torsional or deflection strength if it is only supported and restrained at the ends. You would likely be better off with a 4" pipe. The vertical connection needs a solid connection to the horizontal as well; welding might be better than bolting.
I didn't update this thread, but we're going to put a third standing deadwood vertical support in the middle which should address this issue. After we did the math, we came to the same conclusion.

The bracket they use in the photo looks like it is exponentially stiffer than the flat bar stock idea you have.

Years of over flexing leads to the the cells developing microcracks thus shortening their life.

Perhaps you could replace the bar stock with aluminum angle? That would be much stiffer.

Here's some pre-punched angle in 5' pieces for $5 each. (sounds cheap) https://www.bigdockanddoor.com/punched-angle-p/angle.htm

From my experience I will cordially offer that you're going end up trading a lot of labor for not much savings if any material cost and end up with no warranty on your racking vs. buying premade racking engineered for your module and location.

View attachment 88661
We ordered the unistrut and the aluminum plates already, but we'll take a look at that. Thanks for the recommend.

I found some mid and end clamps that worked quite well with my unistrut rack on Amazon. I just had to replace the included hardware with 1/4" spring nuts and 1/4" stainless bolts.

Got fifty of these delivered in two stacks. One panel damaged during shipping in each stack, so now I'm down to 48 panels and that leaves me one panel short for our planned 7 strings of 7. Since LG is no longer in the business it's likely going to be tough finding another panel. But they're beautiful solar panels.

They came in some shrink wrap stacked with corner stackers so did not have them helicopter slingloaded because they would have gotten damaged so now we are going to make an insert for an ATV trailer to haul them up to the homestead several at a time.

Attachments

• panels.jpg
    panels.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 35
Got fifty of these delivered in two stacks. One panel damaged during shipping in each stack, so now I'm down to 48 panels and that leaves me one panel short for our planned 7 strings of 7. Since LG is no longer in the business it's likely going to be tough finding another panel. But they're beautiful solar panels.

They came in some shrink wrap stacked with corner stackers so did not have them helicopter slingloaded because they would have gotten damaged so now we are going to make an insert for an ATV trailer to haul them up to the homestead several at a time.
Always order 10% more than you need. I'm surprised only 2 we're damaged.

We might see if we can't replace the glass. Some things online say so long as the solar cells aren't damaged, you can fix the glass to waterproof them and press on.

A helicopter sling load could include spreader bars to prevent any crushing.

Back