diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel Extension Cable Size/ Charge Controller

charlie22824

I Think I have this correct but not so sure. I have 2 200 watt Renogy solar panels that I will be running in Parallel. I need to run about 20-22 foot of extension cable from the front of the sprinter van to the rear. I was going to use 6 or 8 AWG wire for this or would I need 4 AWG. I think the max amps would be around 24.

I was also wondering can I cut the MC4 adapters off the end of the Windy Nation Solar Extension cable and wire directly into the Charge controller instead of buying more adapters. thanks so much for the help ?

solar panel specs
Max Power 200w
Open Circuit Voltage 27v
short circuit 9.66a
optimum operating voltage 22.6v
optimum operating current 8.85a
max system voltage 600vdc

Attachments

• tempImagemhjHgX.png
    tempImagemhjHgX.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Post the full specs for the solar panels so people can determine your wiring needs.

I was also wondering can I cut the MC4 adapters off the end of the Windy Nation Solar Extension cable and wire directly into the Charge controller instead of buying more adapters.
Yes, you can cut off the MC4 connectors and strip off some insulation to wire directly to the SCC. No need to buy another pair of MC4 connectors with short lengths of wire just to connect them to the SCC.

Post the full specs for the solar panels so people can determine your wiring needs.

Yes, you can cut off the MC4 connectors and strip off some insulation to wire directly to the SCC. No need to buy another pair of MC4 connectors with short lengths of wire just to connect them to the SCC.
im assuming this is what your talking about. thank you for answering about the extension cable:)

solar panel specs
Max Power 200w
Open Circuit Voltage 27v
short circuit 9.66a
optimum operating voltage 22.6v
optimum operating current 8.85a
max system voltage 600vdc

With two of those in parallel you will have up to 19.32A at 22.6V. 8AWG wire is fine with a 3% voltage drop. 6AWG would be great. 4AWG is unnecessary. A pair of MC4 Y-connectors is all you need. Just make sure they can accept 8AWG. You'll have a tough time finding ones that will accept 6AWG I think.

With two of those in parallel you will have up to 19.32A at 22.6V. 8AWG wire is fine with a 3% voltage drop. 6AWG would be great. 4AWG is unnecessary. A pair of MC4 Y-connectors is all you need. Just make sure they can accept 8AWG. You'll have a tough time finding ones that will accept 6AWG I think.
Thank you!

Back