diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel mounting on curved roof - the inside information

Boondock Saint

Solar Enthusiast
The Trina 410 panels are 39.5 " wide and will just b a r e l y fit on my roof with a little scooch past the white rooftop towards the grey curvature.

I've been inclined to run rails down the sides to have more support and strength, and to raise the outer contact area to compensate for the slight curve of my roof.

The panel frame is 35mm so I can conceive of a 35mm bracket, but this would have to be INSIDE of the frame, probably a bracket turned backwards.

If the bracket is a Z shape or double L, I could rest the panel on top of the lip and screw down, but this wouldn't be an entire 35mm panel clamp grip.

I'm thinking about a rack that could extend out a little in order to provide more conventional mounting hardware, and that rack could be raised with leveling nuts etc.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to mount the panels as they extend a wee bit over the edge of the roof?

Have links? Pics? Anything?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• outer edge bottom mount.JPG
    outer edge bottom mount.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 32
The Trina 410 panels are 39.5 " wide and will just b a r e l y fit on my roof with a little scooch past the white rooftop towards the grey curvature.

I've been inclined to run rails down the sides to have more support and strength, and to raise the outer contact area to compensate for the slight curve of my roof.

The panel frame is 35mm so I can conceive of a 35mm bracket, but this would have to be INSIDE of the frame, probably a bracket turned backwards.

If the bracket is a Z shape or double L, I could rest the panel on top of the lip and screw down, but this wouldn't be an entire 35mm panel clamp grip.

I'm thinking about a rack that could extend out a little in order to provide more conventional mounting hardware, and that rack could be raised with leveling nuts etc.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to mount the panels as they extend a wee bit over the edge of the roof?

Have links? Pics? Anything?

Thanks in advance.
I saw an idea that may be of interest. It uses a combination of standoffs and aluminum struts. I am copying the link to a 24 minute video. But, no need to watch all of it.

After a short intro (45 seconds) you can watch next 30 seconds or so and probably get the main ideas, then decide if you want to watch more. I am not sure about a few of his brackets that connect to the struts, but you can choose your own. I thought the key points were a) the use of standoffs, b) the use of struts, c) the use of aluminum (lightweight), and d) the future flexibility (panels are attached to the struts, not directly to the roof, so new and different panels can be used without additional roof penetrations).

One interesting point was that he used 7" standoffs so it would be higher than his roof vent. He said he could still open the vent (albeit probably only partway) and not need to worry about rain intrusion if left open.

Here is a link to the 7-inch "standoff". They do come in various sizes. https://www.solaris-shop.com/dpw-powerrail-prm-ep7-7-stand-off/

For the inner roof mounting of these 80" panels, I could use 4 Renogy Solar Panel Mounting Z Bracket Mounts per panel inside, set on top of flat aluminum strip drilled into my roof with the double sided Eterna-bond type materials the entire length.

On the outside of the panels I would use a set of 4 Heavy Duty Z-Style Mounting Brackets per panel outside, offsetting the distance from the outer flat aluminum strip as above. This might leave a slight lean of the panels towards the outer edge of the RV, which is a good thing to vacate water and dirt. This will be 8 mounts along the lengths of the panels and reinforced with short bars on the inside lip of the panels for extra strength.

This seems simple and inexpensive. I could use strut in place of the flat aluminum bar, but I don't think I need to.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have the same issue. Trying to put some 39" (ish) panels in a 39" spot. I used the Z brackets on my last set up and with the very curved roof on my new ORV I will need to use something like that again.

I really just need a mount that I can attach to the Z bracket and panel to extend it out 2" or so.

Thanks

The Z brackets are ~2” pieces cut from extrusions but one could as easily use a Z-bent length of aluminum from a metal shop at whatever height or offset you require. In that way you could also use a six inch foot instead of 2” if that might benefit your install. 3/16 aluminum flats braked to a Z would be quite strong.

Seems like strut channel would make this an easy install. Just buy some stainless L brackets that are long enough to reach the higher ends. Cut to length or leave it sticking up.

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 07.32.27.png

Back