diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel not recognized by charge controller

astrungis

I bought a 2021 Coachmen Sportscoach. I believe Jaboni set up the solar system (100W s. panel on the roof and Victron 10A charge controller in the basement near the batteries). Question: Why isn't the solar panel registering on the charge controller? I took the two + - leads off the controller and receive 19.2 V on my multimeter. Yet when connected, it doesn't show the solar and thus not charging the house batteries.

When connected, do you measure the same voltage on the PV screw terminals?

Reversed polarity?

Is it a smartsolar or bluesolar unit?
No the polarity is fine. BlueSolar. After 3 attempts, I tried a MPPT cc. It still doesn't register the solar panel at 0 Ah charging the battery,

Either:

1) the battery is full, I doubt this because a little amperage would still go in
2) The working voltage of the panel is too low, so it won’t trigger a charge algorithm
3) The SCCs are set to 24 volts. One of mine auto detects the first time its hooked to something and then needs to be manually changed if connected to a different system
4) Panel is bad. Only thing you can do is change a diode and I doubt that’s it. I have a 12/24 VDC LED I could hook directly to a 19 VDC panels and see what happens. If it comes on, I’d check the voltage.

Sorry, but at this distance, do you actually have your batteries connected? This comes from a decades old problem of those trying to see if the CC works, without having batteries attached. CC's generally don't provide any output unless there is an actual battery attached.

Note that in many manuals, Victron included, the recommended connection sequence is batteries *first* (to allow the cc to get it's smart brain together) and the panel connection last. If the reverse sequence is used, some CC's may work, but only in a brain-dead safety mode. Depends.

Sorry - but had to ask to see if you actually have the batts connected first.

Back