diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel opinions appreciated

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
I am considering a solar shed. My current shed needs updating and I am considering redoing the roof on one side to allow a proper slope to place solar panels on.

I looked at the used solar panels Will suggested. They look good. However, when I contacted the supplier the "black" panel I was hoping for did not have the appearance I would like.

I live in a neighborhood and while the shed is set back from the street, the panels would be visible. I like the black look since it would help it blend into the black shingles I will be using.

So far I am intrigued with 2 options. Opinions and suggestions as always are appreciated. I am still in the system planning phase.

Have you checked your local Craigslist? You might find what you're looking for close to you so you can go and pick them up yourself (avoiding possible shipping damage) and get a much better price.

I always say look for other people upgrading their solar systems.

New systems are often sold as a package and the upgrade process usually includes removing the old panels and those people are often trying to get rid of them for cheap, usually nothing wrong with them.

Craigs list is one of the first places I tried. Nothing worthwhile showing up for 100 miles around

Last edited:
Given that you never seem to get the 'rated' wattage out of a PV panel for a variety of reasons (angle, partial shade, hazy sunshine, atmos pollution etc), maybe consider the highest wattage panel you can find. Your shed roof dimensions place a limit on how many panels you can install. 340W panels may be cheaper than 500W, but those extra watts might make a difference to your installation.

I have the 425w version of the Q cell duo. I paid 187 delivered so I'd shop around. I'm happy with them and they are black except for the frame.

I'm seriously considering adding solar panels to the house. Until recently I've viewed it as a trade-off offering no real monetary advantage to me. Either pay the electric company forever or pay a lease for 20 years, https://powerproductionmanagement.com/ solar panel system with battery backup replace the system when it dies and repeat. I'm now considering a system that I'd buy outright. It's advertised to produce enough to zero out my Power company bill and earn a refund or credit. Payments of roughly 50.00 a month less than my current average electric bill or buy outright for slightly under 19,000.

I'd really appreciate everyone's comments, pros, and cons, based on personal experiences using a solar system. We have an appt this afternoon and any suggestions on questions I should be asking would be great. This system does not include battery backup but is set up for it to be added later if we wanted. I also understand that without back up if we lose power you also lose your own solar power as a safety measure to the grid workers.

Look forward to hearing any thoughts, there have to be dozens of things I haven't considered asking.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering adding solar panels to the house. Until recently I've viewed it as a trade-off offering no real monetary advantage to me. Either pay the electric company forever or pay a lease for 20 years, replace the system when it dies and repeat. I'm now considering a system that I'd buy outright. It's advertised to produce enough to zero out my Power company bill and earn a refund or credit. Payments of roughly 50.00 a month less than my current average electric bill or buy outright for slightly under 19,000.

I'd really appreciate everyone's comments, pros, and cons, based on personal experiences using a solar system. We have an appt this afternoon and any suggestions on questions I should be asking would be great. This system does not include battery backup but is set up for it to be added later if we wanted. I also understand that without back up if we lose power you also lose your own solar power as a safety measure to the grid workers.

Look forward to hearing any thoughts, there have to be dozens of things I haven't considered asking.

Thanks all!
Rooftop solar will become cheaper than what the utility company can deliver it for to your property. In some countries this is already the case. At some point we will get situations where the utility company will have to prevent excess power being delivered to the grid, which means you will not get paid.

Without government intervention, the big players will get to set the rules and for small producers the solution would be to add batteries to solar and aim to store enough for a couple of days (or more). With government intervention the small producers will be able to deliver at prices we see on the spot markets when there is not enough sunlight.

So a grid tied system, with battery backup should be the aim for medium to long term. And if you want to, vote for sensible policies.

Back