diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel Shipment (another one...)

Lt.Dan

Solar Wizard
Hey guys, I got a stack of 33 panels from SanTan that my Father picked up while he was in AZ and on his way to me in CA. It worked out perfect, until it wasn't.

I'm only here to document my situation, as I am trying to work things out with SanTan to get it all figured out, so heres the story.

I ordered a big stack of panels last year from them, flawless transaction, I got 3x extra ones, and 1x turned out to have a bad seal and got bad water intrusion. They let me know back then that when I got another order, they would give me a free panel as a replacement. Very cool. Well the time came last month to finally place another order. This time I needed 32 panels, so I told him give me 33, and then the 1 free replacement, for 34 total. No problem, I paid for the 33, then my Father went to go pick them up about a week later.

From my Father, he said they originally came out with a pallet and only a stack of 20, and he said there was supposed to be many more than that, but he didn't know for sure how many. After a total of waiting about 20-25 minutes in the blistering 100-105* heat, he came back with the rest stacked on top for a total of 33 panels (1 short), and all banded to a very poor quality pallet. They loaded it into the truck, my dad jumped back in the truck and took off trying to get back into the AC. Not checking exactly how many were supposed to be there (mistake on both our parts).

He gets to my house in CA, and I noticed the top stack (the ones they put on after the fact, had slid because they didnt have the edge protectors like the bottom ones had.
20220529_150627 (1).jpg
20220529_150536 (1).jpg

This caused the top stack to slide and push on the banding for the bottom stack, which bent the frame.
20220529_150509 (1).jpg

Not the end of the world, I'm pretty sure the panel will work just fine, but I still would like to have seen a better handling and packaging. I told them he would be showing up in a short bed F250 and it all had to be on one pallet and ready to go for him. They had a week to get this pallet together and ready.

Now I get to the parts that actually worry me a little. There looks to be some kind of condensation or something on every individual cell. Atleast 20 panels look like this. Not sure what it is??

20220530_081539.jpg

Then I have 2 panels that look like they have some serious oxidation on the glass themselves. It doesn't wipe off and I have tried some dawn dish soap but it doesn't go away.

20220601_180055.jpg

20220601_180127.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with this? Should I be asking for replacements?

I emailed them back the day I received the panels, which was 2 weeks ago. I followed up with them 3 times in that time, and finally today I emailed them with a "Do I just need to file a claim with my credit card company? Im not asking the world here". Which got me a response within 30 minutes of course.

And to be honest I haven't asked the world, I've only asked for the 1 panel they shorted me, and then I told them the damage from stacking shouldn't be a problem, I rather just wanted it to be known in case other problems came up in the future. I also only asked what the spots on the cells and oxidation on the glass was. I didn't ask for an entire refund or anything?

I think @Will Prowse has some videos about panels with this discolor look and talks about them. I cannot remember however if it was an issue, or the power output is still the same.

Sorry to hear of your problems and I don’t have much to offer but if your Dad makes another pickup they do have comfortable seating in the air conditioned office area. Last time I was there a mini fridge full of water and pop was available for customers also.

Sorry to hear of your problems and I don’t have much to offer but if your Dad makes another pickup they do have comfortable seating in the air conditioned office area. Last time I was there a mini fridge full of water and pop was available for customers also.
Thanks bud, he did go in there at first for paperwork, but then told him to pull around and get loaded up, which took them a while to come out the first time, then the added time to repalletize. All of which he was in a hurry because I told him they would be palletized and ready for him to just load up and drive off.

Did they ever explain why the corner braces weren't on the top ones? That seems like a real no-brainer obvious thing that should have been done.

I have two panels that were new but stored a while that look like those oxidation ones.. There was a water leak in building they were stored in and that caused it.. I have not noticed anything wrong with the panels that have that. I think it is only cosmetic.

I'm thinking about purchasing a small/cheap mppt SCC and connecting these panels to a 12v battery and confirming good output.

If you get the panel wet, then you can see right through the oxidation, I wonder if it will buff off?

It might be the anti-reflective coating that has already started to come off and/or interacted with some substance that was on it. I have an old laptop that started to have that coating come off that looked similar.. rubbing it only made it worse until I realized what was happening.

I basically just got the answer back from them, and in short, they said they would never had stacked the panels like that without my Fathers permission, and once they leave the facility, they are my problem.

Awesome.

I didn't have these issues with Alt-E or CED Greentech. Thanks for the heads up on San Tan.

Man, don't think I'd would of gone around the block with them stacked that way, much less to Cali.

I basically just got the answer back from them, and in short, they said they would never had stacked the panels like that without my Fathers permission, and once they leave the facility, they are my problem.

Awesome.
I would think you'd never let a customer leave like that knowing the panels themselves aren't even fastened together correctly. It's basically not properly packaging a shipment and then being surprised when someone said it was damaged in transit. So I still blame Santan for that. However that "package" is fastened to the truck is your responsibility but the panels and how they are attached to the pallet is their responsibility.

I do know for regular freight shipment they would never have stacked that many on a single pallet.

I bought one of the solar panel tester on Amazon to find out if I have any out right defective panels, and I gotta admit, it works pretty well! I don't know exactly how accurate it is, but I get to compare all the panels and see if any are very low. I have 57 panels to test and it's 95* out with nothing but dirt around me. I placed the panel pointing almost perfectly at the sun (using the beer can technique) and tested probably 20 so far. I found 1x at 109w, 1x at 163w, and 1 at 172w. All the rest tested over 190w, with most of them over 200w and a handful even over 220w! Considering the temperature of the panels, and they even have a little dirt on them, I figure I'll use 75% output as my go/no go, which is 187w.

Surprisingly the ones with bad oxidation(?) On them, tested over 210w each, so I guess it really doesn't matter?

I'll keep updated with how many low output panels I have.

Nope, but it doesn't seem to affect the panel? Very weird
I purchased 20 some panels and all of them were like that except the broken glass panels which didn’t have it at all. Maybe because air was able to get in between the cracks to dry it out. Don’t know.

Hmm, im almost curious if I have any for-sure bad ones, maybe ill try and drill a small hole in the back to vent some air and then reseal it. Anyone know where its safe to put a small hole without damaging the panel?

My Father sent me a picture of the panels right after they loaded him up.
That is a lot of weight relying only on the straps to avoid disaster.
I separated the glass etc from their aluminium frames from just 4 panels the other day. The brain didn't register the cumulative weight until I went to level the trailer.....lets see...33 panels....2 engine blocks sitting on the bottom panel?
Any photos of what restraints were used to hold the load on the trip home?

Last edited:
Back