diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel sizing

TrashPanda10k

I'm building a system for a small RV. I'm aiming for 600+ watts on the roof, which would cover about all of it.
My question is: should I aim for 100 watt panels and have more of them, or go for bigger panels? What about durability while on the road? I'm not so concerned with wiring and extra wiring for smaller panels, more interested in pros/cons of big/small panels for durability and longevity and also power output.
Thanks!

Ideally, you want to keep all the panels the same, so you can wire them anyway you choose, though it is possible to parallel different wattage panels so long as the Voc is the same - I have a pair of 175 watt panels on my RV roof paralleled with a 100 watt panel made by the same company. I agree with Sojourner that you need to measure carefully and go with the panels which give you the most roof coverage and the greatest number of watts with little or no shading from other things installed on your roof. On my small Class C, it was 450 watts with two of the 175's and a 100

Don

I completely agree with the other 2 posts. I went with 8 50W because the foot print of the 50W was the only way I could get 400W on the roof. I put them in 2 sets of 4 panels in series. With the 2 sets paralleled together.

I'm building a system for a small RV. I'm aiming for 600+ watts on the roof, which would cover about all of it.
My question is: should I aim for 100 watt panels and have more of them, or go for bigger panels? What about durability while on the road? I'm not so concerned with wiring and extra wiring for smaller panels, more interested in pros/cons of big/small panels for durability and longevity and also power output.
Thanks!
Smaller panels are more expensive per watt - you got more connections and more roof penetrations.
Smaller panels are more robust and easier to handle. (more frame per panel size)

You can probably drop a small panel from the roof and it will survive. But as soon as you got them mounted - no difference. Most panels are rated up to 150mph wind so a velocity you probably never reach with your RV. It will rip the roof including the panel of before your any panel brake.

All your other questions are down to the manufacturer - longevity and power output you can get in either size.

Back