diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel

This is the spec on my charge controller what’s opinion on flex panels. Where are you located

I am located in south Ft Worth, Tx. No experience with flex panels, I have heard good things and bad things just like everything else. I do not see the attachment on your controller.

Specs

Attachments

• 82C03196-9016-406C-85C6-AECC21C4136E.jpeg
    82C03196-9016-406C-85C6-AECC21C4136E.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 70D2B490-17A3-4248-BD28-710E758CF301.jpeg
    70D2B490-17A3-4248-BD28-710E758CF301.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 2
Ok, based on your controllers specs you will not be able to accomplish what you listed earlier of 1000+ solar panel watts. With that controller you are limited to 12 or possibly 24 volt panels. You are also limited as to how you can add extra panels because you are limited to 30 to 50 amps depending on the controller that you actually have. So as an example this is what you can possibly do if you purchased more of the exact same panels. The max on the 30 amp model would be 5- 100 watt panels and if it is the 50 amp, you could put 8-100 watt panels. All wired parallel not in series.

Last edited:
have 4- 305 watt panels with a 40 amp solar controller.
at what VOC/IMP? 305 is almost random without voltage although one could guess.
With that controller you are limited to 12 or possibly 24 volt panels.
It says 25V max so 24V panels will fry it if it’s under 70*F

A new charge controller is in order to do a 1000W system

at what VOC/IMP? 305 is almost random without voltage although one could guess.

It says 25V max so 24V panels will fry it if it’s under 70*F

A new charge controller is in order to do a 1000W system
I disagree that a 24 volt panel will fry it. First, a panel rarely ever puts out what it is rated, second amps would have to be over the 30 or 50 volt model before that happened. Units i have put out about 70 percent of their rating and that is on its best day. Agreed though he will never hit his target levels without an upgrade on his setup.

I want to use the dc to dc charger and mppt controller I have because I want to charge the alternator while running could I put half of my panels on what I have and put the other panels on a another charge controller

I want to use the dc to dc charger and mppt controller I have because I want to charge the alternator while running could I put half of my panels on what I have and put the other panels on a another charge controller
Sure can, depending on your actual controller, the 30 or 50 amp, you can put up to 5 to 8 panels of the size you have. Then add whatever you panels you purchase in the future on another controller.

disagree that a 24 volt panel will fry it. First, a panel rarely ever puts out what it is rated, second amps would have to be over the 30 or 50 volt model before that happened.
Disagree if you like but you would be wrong. Here’s one way to prove it:

My 12Volt 21.6VOC panels can make 26+ volts at normal seasonal low temps. Poof! There goes the charge controller. There may be a margin of error but I wouldn’t push volts very high

Sorry will still disagree, i deal in real world info from what i see everyday.

deal in real world info from what i see everyday.
You should read up on how cold weather effects solar output. Maybe a charge controller will tolerate a few volts too high, maybe it won’t. But it’s still a fact that remains wether you disagree or not; disagreeing doesn’t make the science and facts invalid.
When it gets colder than STP, volts from a solar panel go up. A lot.

As i said earlier, i still disagree. Not trying to ruffle your feathers but maybe instead of reading more you need to look at personal experience, which is actual science. You are speaking as actual results are not valid but reading about it on the internet is more factual. That is where we will have to agree to disagree. Yes you are correct as far as panel production goes up in cooler weather, i do not disagree with that, i never did. What i disagree with is rated panel output vs realworld results. That is where actual day to day results trump what is on the internet. Buy a set of panels and track them for a year and then get back with me.

Not ruffling my feathers

I don’t need to buy panels to prove anything. I have panels and I’ve seen incredibly high volts in winter. Not over my charge controller specs- but still what I “read on the internet“ is in line with the manuals of the several charge controllers I’ve used: don’t over volt them.

Which is the point here- advising the OP to not over voltage the equipment specs and thereby risk destroying it. You are welcome to do whatever you wish with your own equipment. Personally, I’d like a solid 15% or more ‘buffer’ between potential voltage and specs; I’m not a gambler.

To each his own. Guess you are still not getting it. I have a 30 percent buffer due to "your internet science" and panel rating. I have over paneled due to this science. But due to real world data , panels under perform, that is a fact whether you agree to accept practical science or not. I would never jepordize someone elses equipment but i will be very honest sharing information that i have personally gathered. Go back and actually read what i have been sharing with the OP.

Last edited:
No idea why your are having a problem understanding the difference between rated panel output and actual output but you will eventually figure it it out, I hope. Other than that, apparently you have not read any of my responses above to the Op so since you refuse to read them, I will list them.
The amount of solar panels, watts or volts will be limited by which solar controller you will be using.
Your controller should be rated in max amps and max volts. That will tell you how many watts of panels that you can attach to it.
Try to match your panels as you buy them either in voltage or amperage. Mixing panels that are not alike usually will not be very efficient.
Since info is kind of sketchy, let me tell you what I have and what it does from there. I have 4- 305 watt panels with a 40 amp solar controller. The controller is rated at 40 amps and a max of 150 volts. Anything over 1050 watts, per controller specs, will not be used or is wasted. Even though I should be getting 1220 watts at best sunlight and coolest part of the year, I have only been in the range of 600 to 900 watts at best times. I say this to let you know age of panels, shading, angle of the sun, etc, will all effect watt production and you will probably never see the same wattage that you add up from your panel array vs actual production. I average 4 to 5 KW per day of used /stored DC current. Some solar controllers like mine can be over paneled. I am running a 24 volt setup. With my controller it is rated at 150 volts and a max production wattage of 1050 but it can be over paneled up to 3000 watts. When you over panel, you will collect more energy in inefficient times of the day but the in the best times of the day it will only produce 1050 max charging wattage.

Without knowing the specs on your controller we will not be able to know how many panels can actually be attached so you will need to find that info.
Ok, based on your controllers specs you will not be able to accomplish what you listed earlier of 1000+ solar panel watts. With that controller you are limited to 12 or possibly 24 volt panels. You are also limited as to how you can add extra panels because you are limited to 30 to 50 amps depending on the controller that you actually have. So as an example this is what you can possibly do if you purchased more of the exact same panels. The max on the 30 amp model would be 5- 100 watt panels and if it is the 50 amp, you could put 8-100 watt panels. All wired parallel not in series.

You know, not once did I tell you that you were wrong but you did tell me that I was wrong. " Disagree if you like but you would be wrong. " Don't know if that is just immaturity or your need to be right. This is a form that shares thoughts, ideas and practical real world experiences. Just because your knowledge or experiences do not line up with someone else, it does not mean that they are wrong. I stand with what i have shared because I have personal first hand knowledge of it. So regardless of how many times you say that I am wrong, I will just grin and take it as lack of experience. Good luck in the future.

btemplet, if you would like to discuss this further, PM me.​

No idea why your are having a problem understanding the difference between rated panel output and actual output but you will eventually figure it it out, I hope
Nothing to figure out.
I like not exceeding specs in a damageable range.
You like to calculate hope.

Do whatever you want.

Back