diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panels 100 Watt / EG4 6500EX-48 Confused

Spyderman1962

I am putting together a small emergency backup system. I have 8-100 Watt Harbor Freight panels (roof mount), EG4 6500EX-48 & 2 - EG4 LifePower48 batteries (shipping now). I am confused with series or parallel of the solar panels. The panels are 100 Watt/24 Volt which will total 800 Watts/192 Volts. Which setup will be best for this inverter? Parallel or Series or combination? For future panel additions is there an input priority of Watts or Volts for this inverter. I have watched the video by Will & am still confused.
Thanks
Gary

The EG4 6500EX is rated for up to 500Voc (Volts open circuit) This info is in the manual. Most inverter/solar charge controllers also have a lower voltage limit before they "wake up". In your case all 8 panels should be wired in a series string which means there will only be 1 DC+ wire and 1 DC- wire to connect to the inverter. Makes it very simple and keeps the amperage lower so smaller, less expensive wire can be used.

The EG4 6500EX is rated for up to 500Voc (Volts open circuit) This info is in the manual. Most inverter/solar charge controllers also have a lower voltage limit before they "wake up". In your case all 8 panels should be wired in a series string which means there will only be 1 DC+ wire and 1 DC- wire to connect to the inverter. Makes it very simple and keeps the amperage lower so smaller, less expensive wire can be used.
That unit has two MPPT controllers both capable of 500V and 16 amps each. The manual is not real clear on that.

Back