diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panels directly to R panel style metal roof

Shannonsman229

Never done expanding
Has anybody done direct to metal roof panel array?
It is going to be on a carport converted into a pool House. I have been looking at different mount brackets that are expensive.
The other route I'm looking at is utilizing my galvanized fence posts. I have a few ideas. Maybe I could Mount the poles to the roof so that I can minimize the amount of holes. I would only screw down the metal posts where the metal panels are screwed into the frame. I would then use exhaust clamps to mount panels to the posts.
Also thinking about just mounting them directly to the metal roof bolting them down to The Ridges of the r panels.
Any pictures ideas hints or tricks welcome.

Attachments

• 20200731_110712_HDR~2.jpg
    20200731_110712_HDR~2.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 31
Unistrut bolted to the ribs, this way you can seal the holes through the roof. And, it provides adjustable mounting of the panels. So, that you don't have to be spot on with the mounting.
Definitely thought about this. Unistrut is great. Use it a lot with on-site electrical applications. Definitely cheaper than Ridge Mount brackets. I will do some pricing just trying to utilize material on hand. Checking to see if I can find some used nearby.

You could bolt the frames directly to the ribs.
I would put the bolt through the frame, with a jam nut on the bottom of the frame. (So that you don't have to hold the bolt head while tightening) then a fender washer between the jam nut and the rib. Silicone under the washer, to seal the hole. Flat washer, lock washer, and nut, underneath. The bolt and jam nut should be SS. To avoid galvanic corrosion on the aluminum frame. I would go SS on all hardware.

You could bolt the frames directly to the ribs.
I would put the bolt through the frame, with a jam nut on the bottom of the frame. (So that you don't have to hold the bolt head while tightening) then a fender washer between the jam nut and the rib. Silicone under the washer, to seal the hole. Flat washer, lock washer, and nut, underneath. The bolt and jam nut should be SS. To avoid galvanic corrosion on the aluminum frame. I would go SS on all hardware.
Thanks as always you have been a huge help. I will probably sell the galvanized post to pay for the hardware

I used aluminum for the frame for my three solar panels and used stainless steel bolts, washers, nylok nuts to attach the panels to the aluminum frame and steel ladder racks. How will using SS affect my project? Do I have to replace all the bolts and hardware to avoid galvanic corrosion. I found out after the fact that aluminum acts as an anode in an electrolyte with SS. Is that true?

Last edited:
So, no need to try to retrofit galvanized or zinc-coated hardware; just wonder if the galvanic process needs water for the process to work. They used anodes on a ship because the salt water is an electrolyte solution.

So, no need to try to retrofit galvanized or zinc-coated hardware; just wonder if the galvanic process needs water for the process to work. They used anodes on a ship because the salt water is an electrolyte solution.
I have installed those anode systems on ocean vessels. It is because of the saltwater. They also help some in fresh water.
As long as you're not installing your solar panels on the hull , you will be fine. ;)

Back