diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panels for Anker 757

jonathan_winters

I'm new to this forum so first off please let me know if I've posted this to the wrong place!

I just purchased an Anker 757 PowerHouse battery and it is working great for me. The biggest weakness is the solar input, which is limited to 30v and 10a.

Anker (now) sells their own panels which are rated for Vmp 29v and Imp 3.4a, so three of these in parallel (of course) fit perfectly into that max solar input. However, at $330 per 100w porta-panel they are outrageously expensive for someone who doesn't need the portability of those panels.

I'm trying (and struggling) to size a combination of panels that will maximize the 300w solar input (30v / 10a) -- ideally I'd like to overpanel it so that I'm getting as much power as possible even under sub-optimal conditions.

I've already confirmed directly with Anker that their over-voltage protector will simply trip and stop charging if solar input exceeds 30v. (And as expected, any amps beyond 10a will be wasted, but the 757 will continue to pull the full 10a without any shutoff.)

Here is my question:

Is there a device I can put between the panels and the solar input on the 757 that could regulate the voltage to a max of something like 29v?

For example, I am thinking about putting 2x 180w panels with Vmp 16.77V and Imp 11.75 in series for a total of 33.54v and 11.75a, and then look to something to drop the voltage.

Would a charge controller or a buck converter achieve this? If so, do you have any recommendations about what device (specifically, or in general) to look for?

Alternatively, if someone knows how to search for panels that already come in at a specific voltage (either just under Vmp 30v or 15v), that would greatly simplify things -- I can't seem to get search results to deliver panel results with specific voltage output.

I'm tempted to just start buying things to test and return if they don't work, but it would be nice to save that hardware churn if someone has any advice to point me in the right direction.

Reactions: Tym
One other thing to keep in mind. I was told some panels, like the ones I have for the 757, will not work properly. My 12v, 100w HQST panels (2 in parallel), when continuously plugged in, will stop charging the unit at night, as expected. But once the panels start providing power again in the morning, it won’t start charging again without unplugging them and plugging them back in. Anker said they are aware some panels do this, but their’s do not, of course. I am currently waiting for the 1-2 days they requested to review with the engineers my questions of why this would happen and what would need to be looked for in panels to know that they will function as expected. I may not be keeping this unit due to this.

I heard back from Anker. It sounds like they tested their own panels in the scenario I mentioned and they don’t work either. At least in the use case I was hoping for (leaving them plugged in continuously). So, I guess it doesn’t matter what type of panel you get, as I originally mentioned. Sorry for any confusion.

“When there is no output/input, the 757 system will enter sleep mode to save power, when the sun rises the next morning since the light is gradually increasing, solar chargers won't generate a disrupt signal to the 757 system so that it can't resume charging automatically.”

I heard back from Anker. It sounds like they tested their own panels in the scenario I mentioned and they don’t work either. At least in the use case I was hoping for (leaving them plugged in continuously). So, I guess it doesn’t matter what type of panel you get, as I originally mentioned. Sorry for any confusion.

“When there is no output/input, the 757 system will enter sleep mode to save power, when the sun rises the next morning since the light is gradually increasing, solar chargers won't generate a disrupt signal to the 757 system so that it can't resume charging automatically.”
Wow -- that is surprising, and pretty disappointing. I REALLY like this unit, but wow - the solar input continues to be its weakness. I don't intend to use it in the way you described (leaving the solar input plugged in) so I'm OK with it, but this could be a deal breaker for someone with a different use case for it.

From what they described, that sounded a lot like Eco Mode on the AC output -- I re-read it a few times to make sure that they weren't mixing up the two, but they clearly referenced the solar charger input.

Interestingly, I plugged in my panels early in the morning before there was any solar input -- it was at 0w input for at least a few hours before the sun hit the panels, and once the sun did hit charging worked exactly as I would expect. I wonder what the timeout is before sleep mode kicks in and what voltage is required to kick it out of sleep mode.

Is your Anker 757 in Eco mode?

Can you leave in plugged into solar if the Eco mode is turned off?

I'm new to this forum so first off please let me know if I've posted this to the wrong place!

I just purchased an Anker 757 PowerHouse battery and it is working great for me. The biggest weakness is the solar input, which is limited to 30v and 10a.

Anker (now) sells their own panels which are rated for Vmp 29v and Imp 3.4a, so three of these in parallel (of course) fit perfectly into that max solar input. However, at $330 per 100w porta-panel they are outrageously expensive for someone who doesn't need the portability of those panels.

I'm trying (and struggling) to size a combination of panels that will maximize the 300w solar input (30v / 10a) -- ideally I'd like to overpanel it so that I'm getting as much power as possible even under sub-optimal conditions.

I've already confirmed directly with Anker that their over-voltage protector will simply trip and stop charging if solar input exceeds 30v. (And as expected, any amps beyond 10a will be wasted, but the 757 will continue to pull the full 10a without any shutoff.)

Here is my question:

Is there a device I can put between the panels and the solar input on the 757 that could regulate the voltage to a max of something like 29v?

For example, I am thinking about putting 2x 180w panels with Vmp 16.77V and Imp 11.75 in series for a total of 33.54v and 11.75a, and then look to something to drop the voltage.

Would a charge controller or a buck converter achieve this? If so, do you have any recommendations about what device (specifically, or in general) to look for?

Alternatively, if someone knows how to search for panels that already come in at a specific voltage (either just under Vmp 30v or 15v), that would greatly simplify things -- I can't seem to get search results to deliver panel results with specific voltage output.

I'm tempted to just start buying things to test and return if they don't work, but it would be nice to save that hardware churn if someone has any advice to point me in the right direction.
I am in the same exact boat as you. I have an Anker 757, but haven’t selected solar panels yet. I really wanted to max the 300 watts, but that is tricky.

I want hard panels to attach to my roof, not foldable panels. I was looking at the Newpowa 240 watt panel it pulls around 24v at 10amps, with 27 volts at open circuit so it wouldn’t trip the breaker.

As a side note- My first Anker 757 killed the 12v socket from using a 12v inflator (for pool rafts). Anker replaced the battery, but I was shocked the circuitry is so sensitive. The pump is 12v 8a. The socket is rated at 12v 10a. I think it may have a surge when you turn it on, but my other solar generator has the same rating, yet handles the pump just fine. Moral of the story, be very careful with the 12v port.

One other thing to keep in mind. I was told some panels, like the ones I have for the 757, will not work properly. My 12v, 100w HQST panels (2 in parallel), when continuously plugged in, will stop charging the unit at night, as expected. But once the panels start providing power again in the morning, it won’t start charging again without unplugging them and plugging them back in. Anker said they are aware some panels do this, but their’s do not, of course. I am currently waiting for the 1-2 days they requested to review with the engineers my questions of why this would happen and what would need to be looked for in panels to know that they will function as expected. I may not be keeping this unit due to this.
Would something like this product solve the problem? You can program the on/off times for the load— essentially unplugging it and plugging it back in automatically so it resets the solar input and works again?

PowMr DC 12V 16A Digital LCD Power Programmable Timer Time Switch Relay 12V Timer Switch DC/AC/Solar Battery Powered https://a.co/d/b2ZdRnc

I have done some real world testing with this.

I have been camping off-grid for the past three nights using only the Powerhouse 757 to keep devices charged and run my CPAP over night. My power consumption each night is approximately 30% of the total battery capacity -- that is the total usage (including losses); when I wake up in the morning the battery is sitting at right around 70%.

(I'm not counting daytime usage because the battery is always at 100% SOC by the time the sun goes down, so that daytime usage is just pulling excess solar input that I'd otherwise lose... I don't count that against battery usage.)

I have 2x 100w (18v vmp / 5.56 imp) solar panels wired in parallel (for a total of 18v/11a solar output) with mc4 connectors all of the way back to my 757 -- at that point I have a short Y connector for the 2x mc4 inputs to convert it to the xt60 to fit in the 757. Given the 10a max on the solar input, the max I could pull from these panels is 180w.

My first night I did not have the panels set up, so on Day 2 I plugged in my solar panels to recharge the 757 - I saw just shy of 160 watts input, so around 88% efficiency of the total possible 180w! I was happy with that result. It recharged the 30% I used out of the 757 quickly and easily.

I then left the panels set up and plugged into the 757 to see what would happen. Once the sun cleared the trees and hit my panels, the battery started charging without any additional intervention on my part.

It has been 2 more days now and it is still working the same way -- I drain about ~30% overnight, and solar recharging automatically begins again the next morning when the sun hits the panels.

Note that I do only leave the AC inverter running when I'm using it. So for example, each morning when I get up and am done with my CPAP, I turn off the AC power. Today, that was at least an hour or two (and probably longer) before the sun really hit. Perhaps this is enough activity to keep it out of sleep mode, but for my real-world use anyhow, this doesn't seem to be an issue for me. I'm either using it frequently enough to prevent it from going into sleep mode, or perhaps there is a big enough voltage jump when the sun finally clears the trees to wake up my 757. I also have the energy saver mode disabled -- I don't want my CPAP to shut off overnight. So maybe that is also a difference.

I will be camping for the next 4 nights so if anyone has ideas of how else I can test this, please let me know!

I have been camping off-grid for the past three nights using only the Powerhouse 757 to keep devices charged and run my CPAP over night. My power consumption each night is approximately 30% of the total battery capacity -- that is the total usage (including losses); when I wake up in the morning the battery is sitting at right around 70%.

(I'm not counting daytime usage because the battery is always at 100% SOC by the time the sun goes down, so that daytime usage is just pulling excess solar input that I'd otherwise lose... I don't count that against battery usage.)

I have 2x 100w (18v vmp / 5.56 imp) solar panels wired in parallel (for a total of 18v/11a solar output) with mc4 connectors all of the way back to my 757 -- at that point I have a short Y connector for the 2x mc4 inputs to convert it to the xt60 to fit in the 757. Given the 10a max on the solar input, the max I could pull from these panels is 180w.

My first night I did not have the panels set up, so on Day 2 I plugged in my solar panels to recharge the 757 - I saw just shy of 160 watts input, so around 88% efficiency of the total possible 180w! I was happy with that result. It recharged the 30% I used out of the 757 quickly and easily.

I then left the panels set up and plugged into the 757 to see what would happen. Once the sun cleared the trees and hit my panels, the battery started charging without any additional intervention on my part.

It has been 2 more days now and it is still working the same way -- I drain about ~30% overnight, and solar recharging automatically begins again the next morning when the sun hits the panels.

Note that I do only leave the AC inverter running when I'm using it. So for example, each morning when I get up and am done with my CPAP, I turn off the AC power. Today, that was at least an hour or two (and probably longer) before the sun really hit. Perhaps this is enough activity to keep it out of sleep mode, but for my real-world use anyhow, this doesn't seem to be an issue for me. I'm either using it frequently enough to prevent it from going into sleep mode, or perhaps there is a big enough voltage jump when the sun finally clears the trees to wake up my 757. I also have the energy saver mode disabled -- I don't want my CPAP to shut off overnight. So maybe that is also a difference.

I will be camping for the next 4 nights so if anyone has ideas of how else I can test this, please let me know!
Thanks for the update. I’m thinking of buying the Newpowa 240w solar panel to mount on my truck camper.

Try this it is more energy efficient

Screenshot_20220726-203613_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I had also experienced the solar input also disconnecting overnight. When the sun started hitting one of my panels (wired in parallel) I thought maybe there would be some input wattage, but none showed up. I unplugged and replugged the xt60 connector and now it's charging. I'm pretty sure there was some passive drain on the AC outlet since i left it plugged in so I thought it would've kept the input awake but turns out not. Going to experiment a little more for the next few days.

So far inconsistent, in the morning I'll need to turn on the display and then the monitor starts recognizing the solar input. But a cloudy day on Sunday I had to unplug and replug the XT60 adapter.

I emailed Anker about the limitations on solar input and here is their response...

Actually, any 11-30V solar panel with an XT60 female connector can work with the 757 PowerStation. We do not limit the current.
When the input voltage is over 30V, the PowerStation will stop working. But the current is over 10A, it can just accept the 10A and work normally.
In theory, your 100W 12V panels with a compatible cable can work with the 757 PowerStation.
Yes, we have a plan to release another model soon (may be 4-7 months) that will overcome these limitations. (voltage will be up to 60V)

I plan to wait.

I am new to the forum (UK) and have also just purchased the Anker 757 and will now experiment with a solar charging. Would also be interested if anyone has found the ideal fixed panel for home use. Currently looking to pole mount (repurposed satellite fixing pole) a single panel. My ideal would be to re-charge the 757 in a day. Also want to to re-charge the 757 from a portable petrol generator in the event of power outage low solar charging.

Hi am new to this forum I recently bought the Anker757 I also had to buy a xt60 to mc4 connector as it never came with the device also bought two eco-worthy 120w 18 volt solar panels, I've only plugged in one solar panel into the anker but it does not work am I doing something wrong

Both the xt60 and mc4 connectors are one-way, so it should not be possible to hook them up incorrectly in this context. (If you’re making your own cables it is possible to mix them up but if you bought everything premade i am fairly confident that you can just snap it all together and go.)

Double-check your connections to make sure they’re fully seated and making full contact.

And of course, make sure there is enough sun on the panel to generate enough power to start charging.

And finally, keep in mind that it will only show incoming wattage if the battery needs it - if your battery is 100% full then it will say that there is 0 watts of incoming power. You should ideally draw the battery below 80% for a test like this.

If all of that checks out and it is still not working, then I think you’ll need to reach out to Anker support.

Hi,
I also have had issues with the solar and 757. Basically, it was switching off the power to my devices late at sunset and sunrise if solar was left plugged in. The solar also doesn't seem to collect until re-plugged in.
So, I bought some spare XT60 cable ends, and have connected to a relay which is controlled by an ESP8266. So, basically, now my Home Assistant tells the solar to reattach 2 hours after sunrise and an hour before sunset. Seems to work nicely.

Both the xt60 and mc4 connectors are one-way, so it should not be possible to hook them up incorrectly in this context. (If you’re making your own cables it is possible to mix them up but if you bought everything premade i am fairly confident that you can just snap it all together and go.)

Double-check your connections to make sure they’re fully seated and making full contact.

And of course, make sure there is enough sun on the panel to generate enough power to start charging.

And finally, keep in mind that it will only show incoming wattage if the battery needs it - if your battery is 100% full then it will say that there is 0 watts of incoming power. You should ideally draw the battery below 80% for a test like this.

If all of that checks out and it is still not working, then I think you’ll need to reach out to Anker support.
Hey Jonathan,

I'm only getting 1watt in with current connection to 175w panel - it's cloudy today but i would have thought more than 1/175 watts would be achievable?

Wondering if it's something to do with the connector I've bought (eg. It looks like i'm connecting the negative on the connector to the positive of the solar panel?

Should it be negative lead from solar panel to negative of the Mc4 connector on the adapter? (eg. I have 2 male connectors that look positive?)Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 11.32.17.png< MC4 -> XT60 adapter

1669980805476.png<Solar panel

Hi am new to this forum I recently bought the Anker757 I also had to buy a xt60 to mc4 connector as it never came with the device also bought two eco-worthy 120w 18 volt solar panels, I've only plugged in one solar panel into the anker but it does not work am I doing something wrong
Did you figure this out in the end?

Hey Jonathan,

I'm only getting 1watt in with current connection to 175w panel - it's cloudy today but i would have thought more than 1/175 watts would be achievable?

Wondering if it's something to do with the connector I've bought (eg. It looks like i'm connecting the negative on the connector to the positive of the solar panel?

Should it be negative lead from solar panel to negative of the Mc4 connector on the adapter? (eg. I have 2 male connectors that look positive?)View attachment 122710< MC4 -> XT60 adapter

View attachment 122711<Solar panel

Positive female and negative male on MC4 cable are the "standards" as far as I understand it, so that would explain the labels you're seeing.

But if you think about it, a female MC4 connector (which is labeled "positive") on your extension cord will connect to a "positive" male MC4 connector coming from the panel. (Just like I would assume that your extension cable has a female MC4 on one end with a male MC4 on the other end of the same cable -- they're both positive.) Because of this, photos of just the ends are hard for me to speak about with confidence.

I'm relatively new to DIY solar and for most of my troubleshooting, I've simply fallen back to tracing the positive lead coming out from the panel and following it all the way back to the positive lead on the XT60 connector (which should be the pin on the flat side - I think they also have a raised "+" on that side).

So that would be my best recommendation to you for troubleshooting this. There is nothing special about the sides that are labeled positive or negative -- the important thing is just that the leads coming off of the panels make it to the right pin on the XT60 connector to the battery.

If you feel like you have it all connected correctly, then I'd probably recommend moving to testing with a multimeter. So first you would check the output voltage and current directly at the panel output. If that is good, then add the next section and check the voltage and current on that end. And if that is all good, then add your MC4 to XT60 adapter, and test the pins on the XT60 end. (Or you can just start with it all assembled to see if you have power, and if not then you work your way back to find the bad connection.) And if you're getting power at the end of the XT60 connection, then you need to troubleshoot the 757.

Keep in mind, also, that the 757 has a voltage range of 11v to 30v and a max current of 10a. So if your panel(s) produce more than 30v, you'll trip the over-voltage protection on the 757 and you won't get a charge. You also won't get a charge if it is under 11v (though, I think this would be exceptionally rare, but you could confirm this with a multimeter).

Also, it won't take a charge if the battery is already full. So you'll need to check that, too. I typically run my battery down to 50% before I do any testing just to give myself plenty of space to test without hitting the slow down that starts at 80%.

Back